Nostalgia: second wave black metal (list-making included)

The future of Black Metal is very bright from my perspective. More and more bands are taking the black metal blueprint and applying radically new influences and splices. Black Metal seems one of the easiest types of music that can be combined with any other types of music because the underlying formula is relatively simple.

So it's not a question of whether black metal is dying, it's a question of how far along the path of evolution will you go until it can no longer be called black metal in any sense.

All musical genres have a peak time and place, when the sound is most fresh and there is plenty of territory to explore and innovate. As the ground is covered, however, it becomes more difficult to produce something noteworthy. Then the music must evolve into something else. I have confidence in the future of BM (or at least, BM influenced music) but it won't be the same as the second wave and nor would I want it to be.

The future of Black Metal is very bright from my perspective. More and more bands are taking the black metal blueprint and applying radically new influences and splices. Black Metal seems one of the easiest types of music that can be combined with any other types of music because the underlying formula is relatively simple.

So it's not a question of whether black metal is dying, it's a question of how far along the path of evolution will you go until it can no longer be called black metal in any sense.

Ah, I see you posted that while I was typing my last post. I agree wholeheartedly.

While I respect and even enjoy some of the Black Metal influenced music, I still lament the death of the core of Black Metal, which seems to find fewer and fewer purveyors as the years drag on. Many of the popular "Black Metal" bands of today, in my view, have already strayed from the path of Black Metal.

While I respect and even enjoy some of the Black Metal influenced music, I still lament the death of the core of Black Metal, which seems to find fewer and fewer purveyors as the years drag on. Many of the popular "Black Metal" bands of today, in my view, have already strayed from the path of Black Metal.

I remember specifically thinking and saying the basic opposite of what you're saying. I liked black metal music, apart from the ideology, and grew tired of how the people in that scene were so concerned with being trve and cvlt. I knew that eventually the musical style would begin to influence the music of bands with a much broader ideological outlook, and would start to mix with other metal genres. I guess the funny thing is, BM and BM influenced bands seem to take a back seat to thrash, death metal and old school (classic?) power metal for me. So although it happened as I forsaw and desired, I never have had the desire to really explore the result.

I like all styles of black metal to some extent. I can find agreement with Nec and Zeph in this section of the discussion. I believe that there should be more bands playing "true" black metal, or as we discussed in another thread (here?...idfk) "orthodox" BM such as Countess, but I also think there should be a vanguard of bands pushing the envelope in different ways. I don't think it has to be one or the other...

Some excellent releases that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread:

Ofermod - Mysterios Tes Anomias
Troll - Drep De Kristne
Behexen - By The Blessing Of Satan
Merrimack - Of Entropy And Life Denial

Even the earlier bands who were pushing the boundaries seem more authentic though, like Ved Buens Ende, Manes, Fleurety, etc.

My current favorite BM bands are,
-Aborym
-Manes
-Blut Aus Nord
These bands have each pushed the boundaries of what there predecessors achieved, and provide something fresh and exciting. I agree with Zeph, Evolution over Stagnation.

I disagree with your claim that the bands you mentioned, or the bands that I originally alluded to, are still within the realm of Black Metal. They are using Black Metal elements to do something beyond Black Metal. I prefer bands that try to do something new while retaining the integrity of the genre, that is all I'm saying.

I prefer evolution within the confines of Black Metal. It's still possible.

Totally.

I find bands like Aborym to be boring and uninteresting. I feel that many bands who either try to stay within the confines of black metal sound like carbon copys but bands like Aborym to come off has tacky. At least there are still some bands that push the limits in the proper way.