Best second wave Black Metal band

Best second wave Black Metal band

• Total voters
Pentagram is one of the best second wave albums period.
Fucking love Pentagram.

I listen to Immortal more than the other second wave bands, but I probably give Emperor the most respect because they have (on the early albums at least) the raw sound that is so iconic of the second wave, create an very dark atmosphere, and also they are stellar musicians which can't necessarily be said of all of the other bands. I love Ihsahn, his guitar work, vocals, everything.

I absolutely love satyricon. Old the most, but new as well. But, they couldn't get my honest vote. Neither can emperor, just for prometheus. I knew it was time to break up with my bf when I finally got him to listen to emperor, and that was the only album by them he liked. But yeah I love both of them a lot, just couldn't honestly vote for them because of the newer albums.

Burzum...Varg continued where he left off when he went to jail with Belus. Problem is, black metal has progressed so much since then that I find it hard to care about a new album that sounds old but really isn't. And really, poorly designed album artwork and layout should remain a thing of the past.

Mayhem...I like them a lot but I really only listen to deathcrush and DMDS.

So, I voted for Immortal. They are the only band, who I can honestly say I like all of their albums. I shat my pants a little when I found out they released a new album and went on tour. It could be argued that as a BM band, they've made the least progress and changed the least over the years...but really I think that's what I like about them a lot. That whenever they do something, I can expect it to be good old immortal.

And Darkthrone...I love this band, but there are so many albums that I find it hard to overlook the bad ones, even when the awesome ones are really awesome.

And Darkthrone...I love this band, but there are so many albums that I find it hard to overlook the bad ones, even when the awesome ones are really awesome.
The good to bad ratio is VERY high with Darkthrone, they have loads of albums and all aren't really ABITNS all over again but I can't really name a bad Darkthrone album?

Beherit! Yes!

so Burzum, Beherit, and maybe Ulver.

I say maybe because ulver is really a mix of folk albums, techno albums, move soundtracks, and some black metal albums. Bergtatt wasn't even 100% black metal.

Tie between Emperor and Ulver. I voted for Emperor because of their nostalgic quality for me, plus I still love listening to both In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk.

Burzum would come just behind them.

Mayhem. The others are all well deserving of the title but they didn't make Deathcrush and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Maybe Beherit didn't release masterpiece of albums like Burzum, Darkthrone or even Immortal.

Beheritfinlandia-fronttape93.jpg