Heavy Metal revival or Heavy Metal Nostalgia??

The Powertool

New Metal Member
Oct 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Over the last four years the mainstream scene has seen the arrival of bands such as Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park with the result of bringing metal back to the mass media.
Undoubtedly the bands I mentioned are by far non-true metal bands
but they have managed to start a revival for the gender. Hence the Halford band, Bruce Dickinson went back to Iron Maiden playing in front of thousands of people (again) and countless reunions have taken place over the last couple of years.
Also the underground scene has been very fruitful with countless bands creating some really powerful music.

The only problem I have so far is that the only bands surviving this situation are the old bands, Maiden, Priest etc (after all they can only get signed from proper labels who don't give a f==k for new bands-for instance 'Metal-Is' won't sign anybody who sells less than 100.000 copies, how disgraceful is that???) and also surviving-if you can call it that-are the Helloween type of bands.

So we don't have broad spectrum of new bands and new metal music, but we have a case of Heavy Metal nostalgia with demographics of 28 to 40 year olds buying the latest Black Sabbath album( nothing wrong with that but where are the new non-sword/non-dragon/non-cheese, bands? )or couple of thousand guys getting the latest sword, dragon music type of thing.

In my opinion we shouldn’t have to dig through tons of bands through the net (despite how great that is for the bands themselves)
but we should be able to hear about great variety of new good bands from big labels with proper promotion and funding. Instead the labels want bands to record their music, pay for the recordings, pay for promotion, gig their asses off in toilets and THEN pick them up. Minimum input-Maximum output.

So the result is that it's extremely hard for new bands that are non Helloween or already well known to break through and that the labels have turned metal bands in to Heavy Metal nostalgia acts

Originally posted by wolf
Maybe you could start a pirate radio station and give the bands airplay that deserve it.

I wish I could,but even if that was the case I still wouldn't be able to change things. I feel that A&R have to change first for things to get better.