The Black Metal Timeline

I know it's from a post that was made years ago, but the claim has been made by various other people, namely that Emperor's Anthems is not black metal. What complete, utter fucking horseshit. We can certainly have reasonable disagreements about the quality of that album, but whether or not that album exemplifies black metal qualities should be pretty fucking uncontroversial. I don't know where this idea came from that that album is not black metal. I bought it back when it came out, and nobody as far as I know was making these sorts of claims back then, although there were certainly people who didn't like the album (maybe such people denied that it was black metal because they thought the album sucked, but that's a stupid way to demarcate genres.) I feel like this idea comes largely from ANUS types, but those are the same people who pretty much exclusively use the term 'art' in an honorific sense, so we already know how stupid they are.

lol

What about Burzum and most of Bathory's shit?

Bah, I made my point pretty badly :lol: Not all extreme metal with satanic lyrics is black metal, but there is no black metal without Satan.

Also, not all Bathory is black metal. And Slayer for example isn't satanic either, just anti-religion. Though, music can be satanic, even if it doesn't mention the word "Satan".

Can you elaborate on this, please?

Well, I exaggerated a bit, but I'm referring to when people treat the term 'art' as though it only refers to good things (or, things they like, if you prefer). On that use of the term, bad things aren't art. That view is almost never explicitly stated, but quite frequently implied by the way people at ANUS talk, and I think it's clearly a stupid way to demarcate between art and non-art. But I brought that up partly because it's analogous to what some people do when they declare certain things not to be black metal.

Thank you for clarifying your comment. That's what I'd hoped that you meant, and I agree with you.

1999 - Nattestid ser porten vid...

Not to be forgottten.