The Black Metal Timeline

Seeing as black metal as a movement was created with the sole purpose of being an opposition to sell-out death metal, it certainly is dead. It is, however, kept alive by people who changed its intent.

Thus, in conclusion:

Second wave black metal is most certainly dead, but the third wave plods on still, for better or worse...

Seeing as black metal as a movement was created with the sole purpose of being an opposition to sell-out death metal, it certainly is dead. It is, however, kept alive by people who changed its intent.

Thus, in conclusion:

Second wave black metal is most certainly dead, but the third wave plods on still, for better or worse...
I don't disagree with the second part of your post, but what exactly is this new intent of the third wave, in your mind?

^^
Actually, it's completely correct. If you, however, how something to say on the subject, I'd be quite happy to lread whatever that might be. I doubt, though, that it's anything sensible, as I can't really remember you ever having said anything of worth. Time to change that, mayhaps?

I don't disagree with the second part of your post, but what exactly is this new intent of the third wave, in your mind?

Well, actually, I believe it is for the most part marked by a lack of intent, which is, also, its greatest weakness. This is also what stops it from ever reaching the tremendous heights of the second wave. As for what little intent it is, it is defined by each band individually, unlike the second wave, which was a cohesive movement.

Dän;5838010 said:
How bout early BM like Venom and MF?

neither Venom or MF are black metal.

Venom may have coined the term and King Diamond wears facepaint, but neither of them are black metal. Venom is thrash and MF is heavy metal, nothing more nothing less.

I could write something that wins the Nobel Prize for Literature and you still wouldn't consider it worthy - your biases and your image are more important than your objectivity from past experience.

:lol: Where the hell did this come from?

You need to deflate some of that warm air of yours and replace it with some substance. Maybe you'll be worth my time then.

Then what is it? It sounds very much like black metal to me even if it has clean production and occasionally clean vocals and more complex than general black metal as well.

Black metal utilizes atmosphere and recording roughness to its advantage. From what I can hear, Anthems does not for the most part. It's definitely a transition to more "extreme symphonic metal" which later changes into "post-black/progressive metal with black influences" instead of being black metal. Black metal is not meant to be complex, also.

ALSO ALSO, the most relevant (and coincidentally, my favorite) albums of both Xasthur and Leviathan are Nocturnal Poisoning (or The Funeral Of Being if you so prefer; I like both plenty though tend to prefer the former for the most part because it feels less fragmented and the Mütiilation cover is superb; the organic sound is also much warmer and deeper overall to me) and The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide, respectively. Cheers.

Black metal utilizes atmosphere and recording roughness to its advantage.
This is pretty vague.

Black metal is not meant to be complex, also.
What is this supposed to mean? It has me somewhat confuzzled.

'Anthems' is not Black Metal, because well, the themes it expresses have absolutely nothing to do with the genre. Nor does the much of the music, to be honest, just glimpses of a once great band.

This is pretty vague.

What is this supposed to mean? It has me somewhat confuzzled.

'Anthems' is not Black Metal, because well, the themes it expresses have absolutely nothing to do with the genre. Nor does the much of the music, to be honest, just glimpses of a once great band.

Once great? What are you smoking? Anthems is a great album, almost as good as the first one.

Here's my contribution

1987:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I

1988:

Tormentor - Anno Domini

1990:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Root - Zjevení / The Revelation

1991:

Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood
Root - Hell Symphony
Samael - Worship Him

1992:

Sabbat - Evoke
Samael - Blood Ritual

1993:

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Havohej - Dethrone the Son of God
Impaled Nazarene - Ugra-Karma
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp

1994:

Abigor - Verwüstung / Invoke the Dark Age
Bethlehem - Dark Metal
Countess - The Return of the Horned One
Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Infernum - Taur-Nu-Fuin
Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam

1995:

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Arckanum - Fran Marder
Barathrum - Eerie
Ildjarn - Det Frysende Nordariket
Ildjarn - Ildjarn
Immortal - Battles in the North
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Lugubrum - Winterstones
Legion of Doom - Kingdom of Endless Darkness
Maniac Butcher - Barbarians
Mock - Vinterlandet
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust

1996:

Absurd - Facta Loquuntur
Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I - Fathers Of The Icy Age
Falkenbach - ...En Their Medh Riki Fara...
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry
Ildjarn - Strength and Anger
Isvind - Dark Waters Stir
Maniac Butcher - Lucan Antikrist
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Mysticum - In the Streams of Inferno
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Sacrilegium - Wicher
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Summoning - Dol Guldur

1997:

Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun
Kampfar - Mellom Skogkledde Aaser
Legion of Doom - For Those of the Blood
Moonblood - Blut & Krieg
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup
Veles - Veles - Black Hateful Metal

I'm going to leave it there for now. I could've added a few more, but I feel these are the best and should be investigated by enthusiasts of the genre. I might add some more from later years when I can be bothered.

No Hail?

Also I would add Darkspace, Emperor, and Beatrik

Reactions: Pessimism
He actually got banned for having a decent taste in music like certain other people in the past.

Oh, and because the admin here is a little sissy.

Reactions: Alteredmindeath
Uhh... Malignance was one of the most helpful posters on the board for recommendations.

testing censorship: to***ds

lol nice. it blocks the word t.o.w.a.r.d.s in any post.