The Black Metal Timeline

I agree. We all need to email the board mod until he gets unbanned.

Unban Malignance or total fucking rebellion!

He told me he doesn't intend to come back until this place gets a non-gay admin.

Petition that, bitches.

shame.

can we get the word on why he was banned?? over the 4 or so years ive been a member, ive never seen him be anything but a helpful / courteous poster (subject to a few moments of elitism, but if that offends you, its time to end life).

Yeah, him leaving is definitely going to improve everything right? Tell him to come back. :(

Received a reply from Deron, he was banned for 5 days for making a troll account.

Indeed, and I didn't. A friend of mine, while in an incredibly drunken state, made an account while using my computer and abused a few people. No great loss, but I'm pleased to be back. And my regards to all who consider me a good addition to this board. :)
I'd hate for someone to use my account. Welcome back.

Whenever I hear or read someone about someone saying "Black Metal is dead" I always think about painting, and how in the fine art world, every 10 years or so (ever since the camera was invented) some douche says that painting is dead, and the art world shuns it for a while, until a few years later it of course comes "back".

Some forms of art, for whatever reason, have the bad luck of being proposed as dead every so often. I suppose because people think nothing more can be done with it. And they are always proven wrong.

That is the truth. And ironically, some people who claim that a certain genre/art form is dead take part in said art/genre unapologetically when it surfaces again, claiming they never really thought it was dead. :rolleyes:

Responding to an earlier post, how is Emperor's "Anthems" not BM? :err:

Because it pretty much isn't. It lacks any of the aesthetic qualities of black metal. That's pretty plain to see. You basically can play any types of riffs you want and be black metal if you have the right aesthetics. Aesthetics are a representation of spirit, ideology, attitude, etc. Anthems doesn't cary itself like black metal. Samoth was playing the same riffs on that album as on all the Zyklon albums. Ihsahn was getting into more of his prog tendencies. Both pushed Emperor into a non-descript "extreme" sound. If a band without Emperor's legacy had recorded that album it probably wouldn't be considered black metal. Because I don't like to categorize albums as "extreme" it still goes into black metal by default, even though I don't really agree.

That is the truth. And ironically, some people who claim that a certain genre/art form is dead take part in said art/genre unapologetically when it surfaces again, claiming they never really thought it was dead. :rolleyes:

Responding to an earlier post, how is Emperor's "Anthems" not BM? :err:
I agree, it's black metal though not everyone agrees on it being black metal.

Hails, this seems like a good forum! I just surfed in looking for info on early black metal The list is good but I would go further back, sure it evolved beyond this early stuff and 1987 was probably the first big year for releases.

Venom Welcome to Hell (some tracks)

Bathory - Bathory

Saying Black Metal is "dead" really depends on what you consider Black Metal as. If you mean just the First Wave, then yes. If you limit it as only the norweigian scene, then yes it is.
Quite honestly, I think BM is very much alive. There's a load of bands, both "mainstreem" (as mainstreem as such a genre can get, it obviously is only "mainstreem" in extreme metal terms) like Dark Funeral, Marduk, Belphegor, Watain and 1349 (I live in France, these bands are very popular here) and a lot of more underground bands for the more "kvlt" of us :devil: such as Deiphago, Merrimack, May Result, The Ruins Of Beverast and loads more...
Of course there are always people who bemoan it being dead because it isn't entirely underground and some groups get famous, well, to that I have to say... if they didn't get famous, they most probably wouldn't tour near where you live! ;)

I second the Xasthur suggestion. I really feel like they succeeded in creating one of the fucking darkest atmospheres ever made by a band. The Funeral Of Being is their best IMO.

The musical form that is BM won't ever die,there's been alot of great albums over the years since Venom but so many have gone for an arty decadent type of BM,it was originally meant to be satanic rock'n'roll/metal as per Venom.I get so bored with alot of what has come out since then,probably my favourite was Darkthrone's early albums as far as purity goes.
I feel that a certain group of individuals need to gather under certain social conditions for dangerous/proper BM to flourish,the blueprints are firmly in place but alot seem to miss the mark when attempting to compose an album,it either comes off as a pale imitation or completely forgettable.Why is it that Darkthrone's early albums are firmly implanted in my mind yet alot of stuff since then has been fairly forgettable.

In addition to what has already been mentioned I would add the following:

1998: Nargaroth- Herbstleyd

2000: Weakling- Dead as Dreams

2005: Velvet Cacoon- Genevieve

2007: Deathspell Omega- Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Because it pretty much isn't. It lacks any of the aesthetic qualities of black metal. That's pretty plain to see. You basically can play any types of riffs you want and be black metal if you have the right aesthetics. Aesthetics are a representation of spirit, ideology, attitude, etc. Anthems doesn't cary itself like black metal. Samoth was playing the same riffs on that album as on all the Zyklon albums. Ihsahn was getting into more of his prog tendencies. Both pushed Emperor into a non-descript "extreme" sound. If a band without Emperor's legacy had recorded that album it probably wouldn't be considered black metal. Because I don't like to categorize albums as "extreme" it still goes into black metal by default, even though I don't really agree.

Extreme metal + Satan = Black Metal. It's as easy as that.

EDIT: That was apparently a pretty old post, but anyway, I made my point.

Saying Black Metal is "dead" really depends on what you consider Black Metal as. If you mean just the First Wave, then yes. If you limit it as only the norweigian scene, then yes it is.
Quite honestly, I think BM is very much alive. There's a load of bands, both "mainstreem" (as mainstreem as such a genre can get, it obviously is only "mainstreem" in extreme metal terms) like Dark Funeral, Marduk, Belphegor, Watain and 1349 (I live in France, these bands are very popular here) and a lot of more underground bands for the more "kvlt" of us :devil: such as Deiphago, Merrimack, May Result, The Ruins Of Beverast and loads more...
Of course there are always people who bemoan it being dead because it isn't entirely underground and some groups get famous, well, to that I have to say... if they didn't get famous, they most probably wouldn't tour near where you live! ;)

I wouldn't consider black metal dead either, but certainly not as healthy as in late 80's to mid 90's. I can't name many known new bands that are truly BLACK metal. But there will always be the black metal underground.

can we get some taake on this?

Taake%2B265342.jpg