Black Metal classics

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I have to admit my Black Metal back catalogue is a little weak. My firts taste of the black was in 1998 with Emperor "Anthems . . ."

Needless to say, I have all of Emperor's stuff, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, etc. I can't find anything that measures up to Emperor. I've been thinking of buying some Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Ulver, etc. I have gotten burned on quite a few black metal releases (Old Man's Child, Dimmu, etc.). So help me out.

What classics does everbody recommend, and WHY?

Well, like you, I own every Emperor release and each holds its rewards. I use to own every Dimmu release, and tired of them VERY quickly. Too cheesy, I guess. What I've heard of Cradle, I don't like. I own every Immortal release, and like all of them.

You may like Burzum. I purchased his first 3 releases and one month later, got rid of them. It was just plain horrible, as was the Mayhem songs that I've heard. These two bands are the most over-rated tripe ever. (And I'm sure someone is going to slam me for that, but be serious people, those two bands suck. While I don't deny their importance to "tr00 black metal", the music is just plain awful. And if you slam me for saying that, you are a fag) Darkthrone is not bad, just not my cup of tea, so I am probably not the best person to discuss them. Ulver, on the other hand, is quite interesting. The first two albums come highly recommended. GET THEM NOW! The third (the first 3 Ulver albums are a trilogy) is just pure hyper speed black metal. It's certainly not the greatest, but much better then Burzum or Mayhem.

I'm more into death metal and atmospheric metal than black metal. I don't know if you consider them black metal, but Dissection is essential. There two full lengths are easily some of the best metal I've heard.I find Aborym and Thorns quite interesting simply because they are attempting new things in their music. I'll let you know if I think of any others.

Aborym is very cool. I have been wondering why I haven't bought Thorns yet.

Which are the first 3 Ulver releases?

What is so shitty about Burzum? Is it the song composition. Cheesy keyboards? Bad guitar sound? I can't stand a band that sucks at guitar. If somebody doesn't have something original to offer, I usually don't like them.

The first three Ulver releases are Bergtatt, Kveldssanger(my fave), and Nattens Madrigal. Bergtatt is a mixture of folk and black metal. Kveldssanger is pure folky ballads and clean singing. No guitars or black metal vocals on the entire album. Nattens Madrigal is pure black metal all the way through.

Well, I just thought Burzum was boring as hell. The production is standard tr00 black metal production. It sucks. His vocals are utterly atrocious. My favorite songs of his were the casio songs. Just pure keyboards, no guitars and no vocals. And that's sad when your best songs are the ones with no vocals or guitars. Everyone seems to like his second release, but I thought Det Som Engang Var (the 3rd release) was the best, although still bad.

You might want to get other opinions and read a lot of Burzum reviews before buying. My most reliable review sites are www.chedsey.com and www.metal-observer.de

Just thought of another classic. If you don't have Arcturus's debut full length, "Aspera Hiems Symfonia", get it now. I think it was just remastered and re-released with bonus tracks. It is a grand release.

Dissection are always describes as black/death, but i've always thought of them as just black, and like Dreamlord said I would definately recommend them, one of my favourite bands.

Apart from 'Nattens Madrigal', Ulver really aren't black metal IMO, but i'd still recommend the first 2 albums anyway as they are some great kind of folk metal type of thing.

I tend to like the stuff that the 'true' fans would hate - stuff like Abyssos, ...And Oceans, Bloodthorn, Graveworm, Borknagar etc. The symphonic stuff with keyboards is great. Oh, along with Dissection, my other big recommendation would be Nokturnal Mortum - GREAT band, check out the song 'Peruns Celestial Silver', one of my favourite songs of all time. Also, Satyricon are good, another of my all time favourite songs 'Mother North', check that out too.

The bands you mentioned, I definately wouldn't recommend Mayhem, they really are shite! But important I guess, but that's no reason to like them. Burzum are pretty good, but different from a lot of BM, and Darkthrone have never really been my thing, but you might like them. I prefer the more melodic stuff personally.

Of course, you also could go WAY back and pick up the originators like Celtic Frost and Bathory. Like Burzum, I owned the first three Celtic Frost releases and didn't like them. I haven't heard Bathory's first three releases, but I've heard that is where black metal began. I prefer Bathory's epic viking releases.

I do agree with Doom about Borknagar. I wouldn't go so far as to call them classics, but they are definitely worth listening to. Their "most black metal" releases are the first two, "Borknagar" and "Olden Domain", when Garm was the lead singer.

Sorry, yeah I was just naming random bands there, not saying 'classics'.

So for classics, i'd say definately get 'Lunar Poetry' by Nokturnal Mortum. Again, Bathory's early stuff is in there with Mayhem, as basically just unlistenable noise IMO, but they were good on the Viking metal stuff, like Hammerheart.

They're definitely not 'classic' bands as of yet, but there are 2 fairly new/recent black metal bands that really grabbed me, unlike many other bands in the genre.

See if you can locate anything at all by Bloodthorn; they have 3 full-lengths out there. And my current favorite black metal album is by the little-known (at least in my circles) Noctes. You MUST find their most recent album (name's escaping me at the moment). It is completely out of this world, cerebrum-blowing symphonic and atmospheric black metal. Happy hunting!

Why is it that so much early black metal is so unlistenable? Is it simply production? Is it supposed to be like that? That is what I was led to understand. It adds to the "dark" atmosphere.

I think it is part of the grim atmosphere. To me, it makes good music sound bad. Go figure.

I agree that a lot of early black metal is unlistenable. Sometimes it just sounds like a wall of noise. Immortal can pull off the "wall of noise" sound, but they are one of a few.

'Funeral Fog' is actually a pretty good Mayhem song, the only 1 I like actually, but I still wouldn't recommend them.

I think the reason most of the early stuff is 'unlistenable', or just harder to listen to, is because those bands are well known more because of their importance to the 'scene' as a whole, rather than their talent. I guess my views of them, having only been into BM for a couple of years, would be much different to someone who grew up with those bands and who were there right from the start, since they only had those bands to listen to whereas BM is much bigger now, and has more talented bands than the originators (IMO). I dunno, just a thought.

Mark - I mentioned Bloodthorn earlier too, great band, but nobody else ever seems to like them! I don't know if you knew, but unfortunately they have split up now, which is pretty annoying. Their debut is a great album, but they did go off a bit on the last album.

My top ten of black metal record go like this:
1: Burzum: “Hvis lyset tar oss”
2: Satyricon: “The Shadowthrone”
3: Satyricon: “Nemesis Divina”
4: Mayhem: “De Mysteriis dom Sathanas”
5: Dimmu Borgir: “Enthrone Darkness Triumphant”
6: Emperor: “IX Equilibrium”
7: Emperor: “In the nighside eclipse” (I just got "Anthems" recently)
8: Ulver: “Kveldsanger” (though it's not black metal)
9: Limbonic Art: “Moon in the Scorpio”
10: Thorns: “Thorns”

And right after that I'd say "Det som engang var" by Burzum and "Aspera Hiems symfonia" by Arcturus.

A couple of "classic" black metal releases. Every single one of them is a must have:

Bathory - S/T
Bathory - The Return
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm Of The Light´s Bane

Emperor - In The Nigthside Eclipse
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Emperor - IX Equilibrium

Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Immortal - At The Heart Of The Winter

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Satyricon - The Shadowthrone
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina

Ulver - Bergtatt
Ulver - Kveldssanger

Maybe I should give my opinion on some of the bands mentioned here:
Mayhem: I remember borrowing a tape of them back in '95/'96 (maybe it was "Deathcrush") and I was like "Fuck, this sucks!!!". I then downloaded "Funeral fog" from "De mysteriis dom Sathanas" around a year ago I think and I though it was great. I got a hold of the record and as you see on my list it became one of my favorites. I have started to tire me a little though. Maybe it's because it's so simple. Let's face it, Euronymous wasn't the worlds best guitar player and all of "De mysteriis..." is really simple. Maybe it's the energy in the record that appeals to me and the good riffs. I also like "Grand declaration", but I think the clean vocals on that record is ridicolous! It kind of sounds like Maniac is rapping! I could have done without some of the electronic stuff on it too, but I can live with that. I have gotten a little used to the clean vocals, but I think the record would have been better if they had left it out.
Burzum: If you haven't heard them it's not what you typically categorize as black metal, as it's mostly around 150 bpm instead of 250bpm. It's really simple as well, but somehow it manages to stay superb after a long time. "Hvis lyset tar oss" has been my favorite black metal record since '95 or '96 I think. The vocals are extreme crappy, I agree with you there, but I've never found any good black metal vocals, so I have gotten used to the vocals.
Cradle of Filth: The only song I like by them is "She mourns a lengthening shadow" (ambient song from "Vempire"). I have "Dusk...". At first I was like "Yeah, that's pretty good", but after I listened to it 5 times I realized that there wasn't a single song I liked. Maybe 2 or 3 riffs that I liked, but that's all. The vocals are even more horrible than Varg Vikernes'. On top of that the band seem so corny!
Borknagar: I saw them live and when they played the first song I was like "Yeah, this is cool. I think I'll buy one of their records." After that the music got worse and they reminded me more of Bon Jovi than Emperor. The last song they played was good too.
Immortal: I have "Battles in the north", but I think it only has 3 good songs. The rest is pure noise. Even though Burzum also had bad production, Immortal's sound is so muddy and when their riffs are extremely muddy as well it just gets noisy after 20 seconds. I have "Sons of northern darkness" as well, but I've started to get tired of that after listening to it 2-3 times.
Ulver: Two first records are great! I think "Nattens madrigal" is pretty much pure noise and I've only heard it 2 times or something (I have the trilogy pic-disc box-set).
Bathory: I have "Under the sign of the black mark" which should be the most praised, so I wonder how bad the others will be, as I think there's only one good song on this, "Enter the eternal fire". I had "Blood on ice" once and it was pretty good as far as I remember, although it wasn't really black metal and Quorthon isn't exactly no Marvin Gaye!
Darkthrone: I have "Transilvanian hunger", "Panzerfaust" and "Plaguewielder". "Plaguewielder" is by far the best of those! Maybe a couple of riffs I could have done without, but not a bad song on the record, although it kind of needs a "classic"! The two others have 2-4 good songs on them and both have classics, like "Hans siste vinter" and "Skald av Satans sol". I have also heard "Under a funeral moon" and it's simliar to those two. Some good songs, but too many songs that I skip. It has their best track though, "Unholy black metal". It's primitive, raw, grim and ugly as hell, but I like it!! They have a lot of songs that I skip, but they're one of the bands in the world I have the most respect for!!!! Although they have evolved, they still play primitive black metal and hasn't made an attempt at selling out (okay, that greatest hits, but how many will buy that?).

OK, I know which Burzum to get. Which Darkthrone? Which Ulver? Which Dissection? Just one of each please.

Phyre: Do you listen to any new black metal? What are some of your favorite "new" bands? Just curious.

Darkthrone- Common consensus says "A Blaze in the Northern Sky"
Ulver- "Bergtatt" if you want black metal/folk; Kveldssanger if you want just folk
Dissection- Easily "Storm of the Light's Bane"

Strangely, nobody has mentioned the vastly overlooked (recently, due to their label legal troubles) Samael.
Their disc "Ceremony of Opposites" is very elegant, VERY disciplined, and very BM oriented.

Also, any talk of BM is worthless without discussing Mercyful Fate's first 3 albums, "The Beginning" (contains their Nuns Have No Fun ep), "Melissa", and "Don't Break The Oath"

Samael does kick ass. I got into them with Ceremony of Opposites, really good album. Eternal is a great album also.

Mercyful Fate definately needs to be mentioned!

Someone said asked earlier if black metal was supposed to have bad production. I think it really has to do with the fact BM bands had no money so they made do with what they had. Except Ulver who just blew the money and recorded out in the woods. So the rumor goes.