Black Metal

Originally posted by MacMoney
ffanatic and saturnix:

Since you two clearly don't care nor appreciate black metal, I wonder what are you doing in this thread at all.

if i'm not crazy, i do believe the title of the thread is "black metal," as opposed to "black metal is good" or "i love black metal" or "name things you like about black metal." the fact that i don't care for it does not prevent me from intelligent discourse. if the only purpose of this thread was to fellate the throbbing, corpsepainted wang of this (opinion: terrible) genre, then what exactly is the point of having it in the first place?

Originally posted by saturnix
if i'm not crazy, i do believe the title of the thread is "black metal," as opposed to "black metal is good" or "i love black metal" or "name things you like about black metal." the fact that i don't care for it does not prevent me from intelligent discourse. if the only purpose of this thread was to fellate the throbbing, corpsepainted wang of this (opinion: terrible) genre, then what exactly is the point of having it in the first place?
The point is not that you can't say "i haet blak metal!!! its teh sux" but that you say "buzzrum wasn't revloutionary, becuz he sux as!!1" when it's pretty much a fact that Burzum was indeed quite revolutionary. You've already admitted that you think the entire genre is "terrible", and it is painfully obvious that you don't know enough about it to discuss it without making yourself look like a total moron, ("intelligent discourse", pah) so why do you bother?

the views of some poeple here is that their was only 7 black metal bands in existence and all of those were from Norway form arouind 1991.

get used to it. black metal is a vast large genre encorpatings bands as diverse as Revenge Kovenant Acuturus Borknagar and Meads of Asphodel.

Originally posted by phyre
The point is not that you can't say "i haet blak metal!!! its teh sux" but that you say "buzzrum wasn't revloutionary, becuz he sux as!!1" when it's pretty much a fact that Burzum was indeed quite revolutionary. You've already admitted that you think the entire genre is "terrible", and it is painfully obvious that you don't know enough about it to discuss it without making yourself look like a total moron, ("intelligent discourse", pah) so why do you bother?

the truth to effectively mocking is to accurately reflect at least some measure of your opponent's personality. i am hardly the spastic illiterate you portray me to be, and so the strength of your argument is gone, whether comic exaggeration or not.

burzum being revolutionary is still not a fact. a concensus by the band's fans doesn't quite count as empirical data, as much as you might like to think so.

a total moron, hunh? i'm not the one with a child's debating skills. nor do i make your brand of ignorant suppositions (exempli gratia, what i do or do not know about burzum), nor do i have your (and, it would seem, quite a few black metal fans) arrogance.

Originally posted by Dodens Grav
Now, would these bands who are involved with the scene, or two people who don't listen to or like the music, be a better judge as to how influential or revolutionary a particular person's performance was?

neither group would be an effective judge of that.

the truth to effectively mocking is to accurately reflect at least some measure of your opponent's personality.
if i'm not crazy, i do believe the title of the thread is "black metal," as opposed to "black metal is good" or "i love black metal" or "name things you like about black metal." the fact that i don't care for it does not prevent me from intelligent discourse.

You know, noone forbids you to post here anything your heart desires..."freedom of speech" and all that,..BUT don't expect to be greeted with the open arms then. It's like you come to a bar full of huge and nasty folk and then you tell them that they are all a bunch of jerks. Once you say a thing like that, you must be 100% prepared to take it in the cornhole all the way and real hard too.

if the only purpose of this thread was to fellate the throbbing, corpsepainted wang of this (opinion: terrible) genre, then what exactly is the point of having it in the first place?

This clearly shows that you know virtually nothing of Black Metal movement. If you really wish to attempt to make an "intelligent discourse" as you so artistically put it ( :rolleyes: ), perhaps, you should learn a fact or two about this movement in general.

Originally posted by kollex
the views of some poeple here is that their was only 7 black metal bands in existence and all of those were from Norway form arouind 1991.

You you had enough of that "grey matter" in the head of yours to actually READ the posts here, you would had learnt then it is not the case at all, as majority of us know full well that dozens and dozens of Black Metal bands existed way before Norwegian bands appeared on the horizon.

Originally posted by kollex

get used to it. black metal is a vast large genre encorpatings bands as diverse as Revenge Kovenant Acuturus Borknagar and Meads of Asphodel.

Erm...yeah.. sure...your right Sire!
:lol:

Originally posted by Djavol
You know, noone forbids you to post here anything your heart desires..."freedom of speech" and all that,..BUT don't expect to be greeted with the open arms then. It's like you come to a bar full of huge and nasty folk and then you tell them that they are all a bunch of jerks. Once you say a thing like that, you must be 100% prepared to take it in the cornhole all the way and real hard too.

never said that i wanted a hug and a handshake. what gave you that impression?

Originally posted by Djavol

This clearly shows that you know virtually nothing of Black Metal movement. If you really wish to attempt to make an "intelligent discourse" as you so artistically put it ( :rolleyes: ), perhaps, you should learn a fact or two about this movement in general.

my use of a crude metaphor is indicative of a complete lack of knowledge on this particular subject? :err:

for the record, i happen to know quite a bit about the genre. i don't like it, but i've read about it and listened to a lot of it before i made my judgments.

That whole "it's teh suck", "it's teh win" thing is just dumb. Who in the hell invented that? The Opeth forum? Probably....

Most people know this, but I'll say it again. I think Burzum is just God-awful, but to say Burzum was not original is just ignoring the facts.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
That whole "it's teh suck", "it's teh win" thing is just dumb. Who in the hell invented that? The Opeth forum? Probably....

Most people know this, but I'll say it again. I think Burzum is just God-awful, but to say Burzum was not original is just ignoring the facts.

Wow, THAT accomplished nothing.

whoopdeedoo.jpg

no, we merely adopted it as part of our culture.

haven't we established that burzum was ripping off earlier "black metal" bands?

hay guyz so wats going on in this thread

PS: black metal rulez ur untr00 asses. wimpz and pozerz leave the hall (THAT MEANS U SATURNIX OK)

No, the SomethingAwful community first invented it and then started frowning upon it when it got old. Obviously, some people here still think misspelling "the" is the epitome of hilarity.

Originally posted by Horgh
No, the SomethingAwful community first invented it and then started frowning upon it when it got old. Obviously, some people here still think misspelling "the" is the epitome of hilarity.

It sucks="It's teh suck" is hilarity? Some people are easily amused.

It sucks="It's teh suck" is hilarity? Some people are easily amused.

"it's teh suck" is totally witty, dooder!! :rolleyes:

Just like all these tired image macros people are posting.

haven't we established that burzum was ripping off earlier "black metal" bands?
No. Unless you base your entire opinion on the song "War" from the debut album (which was meant as a tribute to Bathory, more or less.) There is NO escaping from the FACT that what Burzum did on his first album, no band had ever done before. Now before you start crying about how the above is "not a fact," please name some bands Burzum ripped off, to prove me wrong?

Right. You don't have to be a fan of Burzum to recognize how influential (and indeed, revolutionary) he was to the genre -- but you probably need to be a fan of the genre, since appreciating the genre is pretty essential to understanding what exactly makes Burzum revolutionary, so when saturnix basically dismisses both Burzum and the genre of black metal as crap, his credibility when claiming Burzum wasn't revolutionary is pretty much reduced to zero in my eyes. It's obvious he Just Doesn't Get It(tm). Call this arrogance if you want.

No, but since you can't recognize the originality and the revolutionizing quality of Burzum shows that you clearly don't know much about the subject and your statements here are quite clearly anti-black metal so I wonder what are you doing here.

And if you want to see the original meaning of this thread, look at the first post.

Yes, it is a big genre, but it doesn't encompass such bands as Kovenant, Borknagar or Arcturus.

Originally posted by phyre
Right. You don't have to be a fan of Burzum to recognize how influential (and indeed, revolutionary) he was to the genre -- but you probably need to be a fan of the genre, since appreciating the genre is pretty essential to understanding what exactly makes Burzum revolutionary, so when saturnix basically dismisses both Burzum and the genre of black metal as crap, his credibility when claiming Burzum wasn't revolutionary is pretty much reduced to zero in my eyes. It's obvious he Just Doesn't Get It(tm). Call this arrogance if you want.

thank you for finally understanding my point. although the likelihood that you'll understand it as it relates to yourself is minimal.