Black Metal classics

For me here are classic black metal albums

Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Immortal-Pure holocaust
Cradle Of Filth-Midian
dimmu borgir-spritual black dimensions

:)

I might be the world's leading expert on Black Metal, but I know that CoF's "Midian" isn't a classic. I like CoF and think they are in a position to really help the BM scene, but Midian is their weakest effort to date.

Originally posted by markgugs
Dreamlord, I have to say, your musical interests/tastes impress me almost daily...I'd even consider you knowledgeable if you'd remove your hardline stance on Soilwork :D :D :D

Hmmm.....perhaps I need to give Soilwork another shot. :D

Awright, folks. The Darkthrone albums don´t have bad productions. Call it grim, necro or whatever you wan´t, but not bad. Darkthrone is a primitive, minimalistic band and the production is a big part of their unique sound. I mean, what would it look like if they had a fancy Dream Theater production? It just wouldn´t be right. Primitive black metal must have a primitive production, m´kay?

How come all Immortal albums have been mentioned besides Damned in black? I'ts in my opinion far better than the other Immortal albums. Maybe im just crazy ;)

Anyway my fav bm albums are:

Dimmu borgir - Stormblåst
Mörk gryning - Tusen år har gått and Maelstorm Chaos
Immortal - Damned in black
Dark funeral - Diabolis Interium

Awright, folks. The Darkthrone albums don´t have bad productions. Call it grim, necro or whatever you wan´t, but not bad. Darkthrone is a primitive, minimalistic band and the production is a big part of their unique sound. I mean, what would it look like if they had a fancy Dream Theater production? It just wouldn´t be right. Primitive black metal must have a primitive production, m´kay?
True! Even though bad production is a minus in my book, I think the "bad" sound sometimes help a little bit, like on Burzum's "Hvis lyset tar oss" and maybe on Emperor's "In the nightside eclipse". It makes it sound very cold, grim and atmospheric. Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger" and such is maybe not the greatest examples of this. Their sound on "Plaguewielder" is a lot better than their earlier work. Basically I prefer good production, but it's also hard to imagine how it would sound with another production. Type O Negative is my favorite band, but hearing them with extreme garage sound like on "Transilvanian hunger" would probably make the music sound much worse!

Not a list I've made but the best and cohesive list I've seen:

First Wave:

Venom- Welcome To Hell
Venom- Black Metal
Venom- At War With Satan
Bathory- The Return
Bathory- Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Hellhammer- Apocalyptic Raids
Sodom- In the Sign of Evil
Mercyful Fate- Don't Break the Oath

Second wave:

Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (though you could mention Blaze or Funeral Moon too)
Countess- The Return of the Horned One
Burzum - Burzum
Varathron - His Majesty At The Swamp

Originally posted by markgugs
I dig Graveland as well...just ordered a disc I didn't even know existed from eBay!

Hey Jeff, is tonight the night you're heading out to AE/Nile?

What Graveland did you get? The only ones I have are of the "viking" nature. I have Following the Voice of Blood, Thousand Swords, Creed of Iron, and Immortal Pride

Yeah. Me, my girlfriend(I'm making her go because she made me go see Dave Matthews Band, which was pretty damn entertaining), and one of my friends from college are driving to Austin today. The show starts at 7, but I could really care less about seeing Origin or Hate Eternal. Going to 6th Street afterwards to the bar my sister works at. Fun for me!

Originally posted by Dreamlord

What Graveland did you get? The only ones I have are of the "viking" nature. I have Following the Voice of Blood, Thousand Swords, Creed of Iron, and Immortal Pride

I just ordered "Following..." I had never heard of the disc until I found it on eBay. I have "Thousand Swords" as well, and have heard a couple tracks elsewhere...I dug 'em!

As for the show tonight, I know your plans are in place, but I've heard lots of good things about Origin & Hate Eternal. I've never heard either band, but I'm anxious to hear them when the tour stops in my neck of the woods. And just in case you forgot, I STILL expect a full report! Have fun you fucker! ;)

"Following..." is one of my faves from Graveland. You should like it as I know you like the viking subgenre.

I kind of want to hear Hate Eternal. The one song I've heard from Origin was simply dreadful, but if I make it there on time, then I will watch. Or I can just drink while they play.

Origin is actually from Kansas. I think you would call them brutal technical death metal. Mostly brutal. They aren't bad, but they aren't that original either. Hate Eternal might actually be worth your time, though.

I might just see Hate Eternal after both of your recommendations. But if I miss AE or Nile, I'm shooting myself in the face. I'm mostly excited about Nile as I've heard their live show crushes. And I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't excited about seeing a pretty young lass in tight clothes tear up the stage with her brutal-ass vocals. Yup, I'll be sporting wood tonight. Oh yeah, the music's pretty good too.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Dude, that would fucking rule. A 5'9" blonde tearing up the stage. Talk about stage presence. ;)

Your girlfriend is 5'9"?! AND blonde?

* drools with envy *

I'm 5'11" and the taller women, well how do I say, the parts just fit together better, eh? :D

And I'd be lying too if I didn't say I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT to stare at Angela for 45 minutes.