Did black metal end after Burzum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Star

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2007
On the visionary importance of Burzum:

Burzum ended black metal. While this statement will be protested by those many who participate in black metal "in form" and not as an active movement of art toward change, the evidence is overwhelming. Burzum set a new level of musicality and thought which others couldn't surmount. It was a challenge to all future black metal to join it at this new level, and since most people lack this capacity, they were revealed to be hangers-on and not innovators. The new standard of Burzum separated sheep from shepherds, leaders from followers, artists from scenesters. Any band that came after Burzum was judged by how well it stood up to the power and honesty of the music and ideas of Burzum.

After all, black metal was a movement against modern society and its lack of value, in theory. The founding bands like Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Ildjarn and Mayhem upheld a Romantic vision of a more primal time: the meaning found in conflict, the beauty of nature, the secondary importance of comfort toward epic achievement and conflict, a desire for a less plastic and democratic time. They unconsciously expressed what many in modern society feel, which is that humanity has domesticated itself and is comfortably breeding idiots and parasites through the wealth of its technology and fossil fuels and global domination. Capitalism and democracy are card-shuffling that redistribute wealth among those low-minded enough to be fascinated by it, the implication goes, and the Crowd is always present with its desire to tear down the independent thinkers and leaders and replace them with "safe" ideas and institutions for the education of more people of specialized ability but no leadership prowess.

Read More: On the Importance of Burzum

I don't think it so much ended Black Metal as it coincided with the end of the second wave. The main catalyst for this was not Burzum itself, but more so the repercussions of the arsons combined with the murders.

EDIT:

Burzum.com is not endorsed by Varg. Burzum.org is where it's at and the only place for truth when it comes to Burzum lore.

im not sure when black metal died, but i know the new wave black metal is a fucking joke compared to the old style artists like bathory, immortal & emporer

I don't think it so much ended Black Metal as it coincided with the end of the second wave. The main catalyst for this was not Burzum itself, but more so the repercussions of the arsons combined with the murders.

So it was pure coincidence? Although the imprisonments of key figures obviously helped deflate most of the creative drive, that does not mean it was not BURZUM who set the standards to such a point that the flood of followers afterward were unable to match it.

I disagree. You need to search deeper.

What recent bands match the contextual, philosophical, and musical quality of the original "second-wave" bands?

Burzum.com is not endorsed by Varg. Burzum.org is where it's at and the only place for truth when it comes to Burzum lore.

Irrelevant; wider ideas are at discussion here.

So it was pure coincidence? Although the imprisonments of key figures obviously helped deflate most of the creative drive, that does not mean it was not BURZUM who set the standards to such a point that the flood of followers afterward were unable to match it.

Read the title of the thread aloud to yourself. Now read the above quote. Do you see how your reply not only has no relevance to the topic, but also partially regurgitates what I said? I'm saying that I do NOT think Burzum ended Black Metal.

I'm not saying Burzum did not set standards: I'm a massive Burzum fan as people here know, so on the contrary, I think Burzum raised the standards to that of true art and beyond but this doesn't mean the result of that is the end of Black Metal. That's so one-dimensional.

What recent bands match the contextual, philosophical, and musical quality of the original "second-wave" bands?

Negura Bunget and Drudkh. They have raised the bar for post-second wave Black Metal into the realm of true Black Metal ethnic expression. This was started by Bathory and Enslaved prior, but these two bands have extended on this train of thought and expanded from it in intelligent ways that many bands of today couldn't even conceive of.

Irrelevant; wider ideas are at discussion here.

A null retort. The topic started with a reference to a site which has no legitimacy to Burzum history today, the reference is invalid. I will take my Burzum history from a site Vikernes supports, not from one he opposes. Accuracy is key.

EDIT: ahh, now it makes sense. Obviously you are the writer of the article (which coincidently was published only yesterday), and as I see, you're another troll from ANUS who has registered in this forum simply to make your presence known.

Big yawn.

Black Metal did not "end," so of course Burzum did not end Black Metal. Burzum certainly did not create it either.

Reactions: Hubster
^ Damn you man, your mention of Italy in the other thread has me thinking about European food now! I haven't had some good European food in ages

No, if you're saying the post-2nd wave BM bands lack originality then check out a lot of the Euro as well as some USBM artists.

^ Damn you man, your mention of Italy in the other thread has me thinking about European food now! I haven't had some good European food in ages

Then just go out to the nearest Pizza place or whatever, and buy shit loads, bring it home, sit on the sofa watching some cool film whilst eating it. Its not the real thing but its close.

EDIT: ahh, now it makes sense. Obviously you are the writer of the article (which coincidently was published only yesterday), and as I see, you're another troll from ANUS who has registered in this forum simply to make your presence known.

Big yawn.

could smell em a mile away

EDIT:

Doesn't matter what Varg endorses because the guy is a asshole and most of what he says tends to contradict itself eventually. Because he will say one thing one day and then something else another day to contradict what he originally said. But anyways the only thing that matters when it comes to him is not his ideas but his music which was/is great. But anyways Burzum is not the be all/end all of Black Metal. There were other good bands after Burzum and once in awhile a band comes along to surprise us. All music evolves just some of us are still stuck in the past and that is ok but don't expect a form of music to be in the past forever. Also Burzum was not a founder of BM. To me it would be Venom (if not the music then the ideas itself) and no doubt Bathory along with perhaps Celtic Frost (though i never really consider them as such but others do) etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.