Burzum albums ranked

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
I have not heard Sol Austan, Mani Vestan, so out of fairness, I will disclude it from my list.

10. The Ways of Yore-Out of honesty, I will say that I have bit granted this album the respect of a full listen, though the material that I have heard, while quite good, is a fairly significant stray from anything Varg has put out before.

9. Umskiptar-The same applies here as with the last one. Umskiptat is a departure from the style continued by Burzum's prior black metal albums and thus it comes off as sort of an outlier. The music takes the background, serving as sort of a canvas on which to display the poetry, which is in its solitude meaningful. That said, there are some great songs on Umskiptar.

8. Dauði Baldrs-This one comes off as a black metal album transcribed as a synth one. The musical ideas here are brilliant, though they are poorly executed due to circumstances outside of Varg's power.

7. Hliðskjalf-By far the superior of the two prison synth albums. Unlike it's predecessor, Hliðskjalf is the result of Varg liberating himself from his black metal styling, which could not be replicated in prison. Some of the songs on this album are downright beautiful, while a few are not as virtuous.

6. Burzum/Aske-For the sake of simplicity, I am going to assess these two releases as one. Both demonstrate Varg's musical skills, however the power of Burzum had not yet come into full form (save for A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit)

5. Belus-Varg's first album released after his release from prison is quite good, and unfortunately underrated. It is a bit better than Hliðskjalf, however it falls into the same pattern, with some majestic epics mixed in with a few lackluster pieces.

4. Fallen-Arguably, this album should not fall so high in the list, however it holds a personal significance to me as it played a huge role in my instruction to Burzum and black metal in general. Far more consistent than Belus.

3. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss-This is where writing this list begins to become an arduous task. This would be even higher had it contained more songs.

2. Filosofem-The different style of this album works very well, though it doesn't capture the same energy as it's less mature predecessors.

1. Det Som Engang Var-It is hard to determine which Burzum album is the best, however, I went with this one. It combines the compositional maturity and atmosphere of it's successors with the more thrashy, energetic likes of the previous release. Hail this album!

Now the duty of typing a paragraph for every Burzum album is cast unto thee!

The top 5 is easy:

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Det Som Engang Var
3. Filosofem
4. Belus
5. Burzum

After that, I'd have to go back and listen to a lot of them. I actually enjoy the last few ambient albums quite a bit, but it is fucking yoga music.

1. Burzum
2. Filosofem
3. Belus
4. Daddy ballerz
5. Det som engang var
6. Hvis lyset tar oss

I think I've heard Hliðskjalf in full but maybe not. Would probably make it to fifth place.

Those last two albums are fucking jokes.

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Filosofem
3. Burzum w/ Aske
4. Det Som Engang Var
5. Belus/Fallen
6. Sol austan, mani vestan (this isn't horrible, in all fariness it contains two or three really good tracks)

That's of what I've heard.

1. Burzum
2. Filosofem
3. Belus
4. Daddy ballerz
5. Det som engang var
6. Hvis lyset tar oss

I think I've heard Hliðskjalf in full but maybe not. Would probably make it to fifth place.

Those last two albums are fucking jokes.

Lol at daddy ballerz...still need to hear that.

I didn't think you were a Burzum fan given how much you trash them as dungeon synth

I'd probably have to put Filosofem first even though that alone makes me a hipster.

I should now grow a beard and fulfill my destiny as a barista.

EDIT: I won't even comment on the ambient stuff he started doing as a background to his youtube videos.

Reactions: PrincessHades
1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Filosofem
3. Det Som Engang Var
4. Fallen
5. Belus
6. Burzum/Aske

Dont care about the rest.

1) Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2) Det Som Engang Var
3) Filosofem
4) Burzum
5) Fallen
6) Belus
7) Umskiptar

The ambient albums are fine I just don't care to rate them. Would probably through H before Daddy Ballerz and then the more recent ones would fall last.

I hesitate to rank them since we're dealing with essentially 3 different eras and sounds, but I do enjoy Belus/Fallen/Umskiptar just as much as the classics. The newer albums are more cohesive, but the classics have some better individual moments/songs.

I'm not as big on Burzum as I used to be, but:

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - one of the most sublime and evocative metal albums ever recorded.
2. Filosofem
3. Burzum/Aske
4. Det Som Engang Var
5. Belus

It's really close between Filosofem and Burzum/Aske, and largely depends on what mood I am in.

I haven't really listened to Fallen or anything past it very much.

DSEV, HLTO, and Filosofem are highly cohesive and well structured albums. The only pre-prison album that lacks cohesion is the debut and the Aske EP (why in the fuck does a song cut off in the middle?).

I understand what you mean. Most of Varg's albums take one into a specific place in the realm of Burzum, as Varg himself says, they should be seen as spells intended to do this very thing. The debut doesn't seem as focused; it's more of a journey to various places in the Burzum realm, to put it that way. I think Aske is pretty consistent for what it is, though.

How is Det som engang var remotely cohesive, especially relative to the S/T? It's full of filler. Basically sounds like a leftovers album.