GMD Poll: Burzum's Discography Ranked

Possibly the least apt description of Burzum’s music I’ve ever read. Yes, even worse than the “this is just noise” crowd.

Anyway:

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - His masterpiece, period. One of the most evocative and sublime metal albums ever recorded. First two tracks are incredible and I have been a champion of the second track especially for many years, which doesn’t seem to get recognised for its genius layering nearly enough. The 4th track is also pretty great. The first few minutes of the 3rd track is the low point of this record for me, but it transitions into a mighty ending in a similar way to “Key to the Gate”.

2. Burzum - pretty different to everything that came after. Much more focused on individual riffs than later Burzum and less cohesive in its approach. Even more primal and raw in its emotion than what came after. Some absolutely killer tracks like “My Journey to the Stars” And “Ea, Lord of the Depths” ensure this ranks high for me.

3. Filosofem - one of the best production jobs on a black metal album I’ve ever heard. The first three tracks are amazing, especially “Burzum”. Unfortunately the second half suffers from a lack of pacing and an overly long ambient track that’s far too repetitious. “Tomhet” this is not.

4. Det Som Engang Var - unarguably the weakest of the first 4 Burzum records in my mind. “Key to the Gate” and “Lost Wisdom” are classics, though.

5. Fallen

6. Belus

Last two are probably tied tbh. I like Fallen a bit more overall, but it doesn’t have anything as good as “Glemselens Elv” imo.

Last edited:
Anyway:

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - His masterpiece, period. One of the most evocative and sublime metal albums ever recorded. First two tracks are incredible and I have been a champion of the second track especially for many years, which doesn’t seem to get recognised for its genius layering nearly enough. The 4th track is also pretty great. The first few minutes of the 3rd track is the low point of this record for me, but it transitions into a mighty ending in a similar way to “Key to the Gate”.

2. Burzum - pretty different to everything that came after. Much more focused on individual riffs than later Burzum and less cohesive in its approach. Even more primal and raw in its emotion than what came after. Some absolutely killer tracks like “My Journey to the Stars” And “Ea, Lord of the Depths” ensure this ranks high for me.

3. Filosofem - one of the best production jobs on a black metal album I’ve ever heard. The first three tracks are amazing, especially “Burzum”. Unfortunately the second half suffers from a lack of pacing and an overly long ambient track that’s far too repetitious. “Tomhet” this is not.

4. Det Som Engang Var - unarguably the weakest of the first 4 Burzum records in my mind. “Key to the Gate” and “Lost Wisdom” are classics, though.

5. Fallen

6. Belus

Last two are probably tied tbh. I like Fallen a bit more overall, but it doesn’t have anything as good as “Glemselens Elv” imo.

Honestly this pretty much nails Burzum for me too. The track 'Det Som En Gang Var' is godly and arguably the most influential single song in black metal. 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' is a highly repetitive affair but those little melodic shards that flicker through are just brilliant. 'Inn I Slottet Fra Droemmen' starts out a bit dull but the ending is stunning.

Burzum is the most under-rated album in the catalogue.

Filosofem is great, but agree it fades in the second half.

I rate Belus next, no weak tracks and 'Glemselens Elv' is just a stunning composition.

So:

1. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Burzum
3. Filosofem
4. Belus
5. Det Som Engang Var
6. Fallen
7. Umskiptar

Last edited:
1. Hvis lyset tar oss-No record better captures the essence of black metal than Hvis lyset tar oss: the raw, heathen spirit, the peculiar fusion of power and powerlessness, the consuming atmosphere, and the naturalistic ambiance. Yet, in defining the genre, Hvis lyset tar oss transcends it. Hvis lyset tar oss is universal: it expresses horror and repulsion at the homogenization of culture, thought, and lifestyle. It snarls at the aesthetics, values, and sensibilities of monolithic light of “Western” culture and Christianity. And yet, it is also highly specific: it is the perfection of the Norwegian black metal sound, with primitive drumming, haunting synths, primal howls and harsh yet hypnotic guitar work. Finally, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is simply a magnificent journey, traveling through tragedy, fury, retribution, and defeat before finally settling in a space of mystical detachment.

2.Det som engang var- Varg leads the listener on a journey between a world of agony and a world of bliss. The record begins in the depths of darkness ("Key to the Gate") but quickly ascends into ecstatic heights with compositions that gradually build toward cathartic peaks ("En Ring Til Aa Herske") or revel in paganistic wonder ("Lost Wisdom") before descending back into the depths with the foreboding dirge "Snu Mikrokosmos Tegn." Taken as a whole, Det som engang var depicts a profound and magical world from which we have detached, leaving us in a state of longing and despair.

3. Filosofem- Filosofem is an expression of Varg’s overarching philosophy. Musically, that philosophy is grounded in the concept of difference and repetition. Progressions slowly, almost unnoticeably, differentiate over extended durations. The listener is lost in a paradoxical middle ground where sound seems to be simultaneously still and morphing. The same concept is expressed through the lyrics and accompanying stories. Filosofem provides a doorway into a paganistic worldview, in which darkness and light are at constant play with one another. While Filosofem is by no means the first black metal album to take up paganistic themes, Varg’s use of repetition is the perfect tool through which to express an ideology that is grounded in the cycles and patterns of nature.

4. Belus- Varg's return to black metal after fifteen years in prison is a resounding success. As the glorious cover art implies, Belus is an album of contrasts and tensions. Belus is harsh, with roaring guitars, but it balances its fire with melancholic folk melodies and touches of gentle, clean singing. Per usual, repetition is Burzum's weapon of choice, building toward climaxes that never arrive and drawing the listener into a transfixed state of awe.

5. Burzum- Burzum's debut is not as musically or conceptually cohesive has Varg's other records, but there is plenty of individual brilliance on this record. "War" is an excellent ode to black metal's thrash roots, while "Spell of Destruction" shows off Burzum at its most vicious. Tracks like "Feeble Screams From the Forest Unknown", "A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit" and "My Journey to the Stars" demonstrate the compositional brilliance for which Varg is so revered.

6. Hliðskjálf- An engrossing piece of dark ambient with regal arcane melodies and luscious textures.

7. Umskiptar- The most folky of Burzum's metal albums. Kind of a weird and oddly paced record, with some songs that drag, but there are other tracks that are totally engrossing.

8. Fallen- The first two tracks slay, but after that the album loses momentum. Still solid.

9. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan- I actually quite like this album. Very engrossing and atmospheric with strong melodies.

10. Dauði Baldrs- There are actually some interesting compositions on this record (as illustrated by the metallic version of the title track on Belus), but it's recorded on a fucking CASIO. That said, after relistening to it, it's nowhere near the slog I remembered it to be.

11. The Ways of Yore- Drags on more than its predecessor. The narration takes away from the overall quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy101
1. Hvis lyset tar oss-No record better captures the essence of black metal than Hvis lyset tar oss: the raw, heathen spirit, the peculiar fusion of power and powerlessness, the consuming atmosphere, and the naturalistic ambiance. Yet, in defining the genre, Hvis lyset tar oss transcends it. Hvis lyset tar oss is universal: it expresses horror and repulsion at the homogenization of culture, thought, and lifestyle. It snarls at the aesthetics, values, and sensibilities of monolithic light of “Western” culture and Christianity. And yet, it is also highly specific: it is the perfection of the Norwegian black metal sound, with primitive drumming, haunting synths, primal howls and harsh yet hypnotic guitar work. Finally, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is simply a magnificent journey, traveling through tragedy, fury, retribution, and defeat before finally settling in a space of mystical detachment.

burzum.jpg

Glad to see you rate Belus so highly CrimsonFloyd. It's such a great album that gets overlooked far too often. My favourite of his post-prison albums.

Still haven't submitted my list, gotta admit it's a harder task than I originally thought.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
Agreed. I’ve never understood the people who love his first four metal albums but rip on Belus. It does so much right. Belus Dod, has some great agressive riffing while Glemselens elv and Kaimadaltha’s nedstigning have some phenomenal meoldies. I’ll grant the next two tracks are pretty pedestrian, but the final two tracks are totally engrossing. They remind me of a metal version of his ambient tracks.

Spot on. Glemselens Elv is a thing of sheer beauty & easily one of my favourite Burzum songs. It's amazing how Varg never lost his ability on the axe (and drums) even after spending the best part of 16 years behind bars.

Agreed. I’ve never understood the people who love his first four metal albums but rip on Belus. It does so much right. Belus Dod, has some great agressive riffing while Glemselens elv and Kaimadaltha’s nedstigning have some phenomenal meoldies. I’ll grant the next two tracks are pretty pedestrian, but the final two tracks are totally engrossing. They remind me of a metal version of his ambient tracks.
yeah Belus is definitely one of his best albums imo and at times gets hate for no real reason. Fallen is pretty solid too.

Reactions: CiG
I've spent enough time thinking about this. Can't split the top 3, nor the bottom 3. If voting like this is invalid please let me know.

1. Det som engang var/Hvis lyset tar oss/Filosofem
4. Burzum
5. Belus
(Aske)
6. Umskiptar
7. Fallen
8. The Ways of Yore
9. Dauði Baldrs/Hliðskjálf/Sôl austan, Mâni vestan