GMD Poll: Candlemass's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Candlemass's 11 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-11. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 11 points, your second place album earns 10 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 6 albums. Lists with less than 6 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 11 albums, the first placed album will still get 11 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Sunday, November 18th to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
Nightfall (1987)
Ancient Dreams (1988)
Tales of Creation (1989)
Chapter VI (1992)
Dactylis Glomerata (1998)
From the 13th Sun (1999)
Candlemass (2005)
King of the Grey Islands (2007)
Death Magic Doom (2009)
Psalms for the Dead (2012)

Reactions: CiG
1) Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
2) Nightfall (1987)
3) Ancient Dreams (1988)
4) Tales of Creation (1989)
5) Candlemass (2005)
6) Death Magic Doom (2009)
7) King of the Grey Islands (2007)
8) Psalms for the Dead (2012)

Gonna have to actually listen to the other albums but I think this list is pretty much final. All of those albums up there are 3.5 stars and above. Quality stuff.

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
Nightfall (1987)
Tales of Creation (1989)
Chapter VI (1992)
Ancient Dreams (1988)
Dactylis Glomerata (1998)
Candlemass (2005)
From the 13th Sun (1999)
Death Magic Doom (2009)
King of the Grey Islands (2007)
Psalms for the Dead (2012)

Last edited:
1. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - as close to a perfect album as there is in metal, 10/10
2. Nightfall - a step down or three in every respect from its predecessor but still great, especially thanks to the stronger first half, 8/10
3. Tales of Creation - basically a leftovers album (EP when you cut the filler) but still a decent one, 6/10
4. From the 13th Sun - average Sabbath-y doom, 5/10
5. Death Magic Doom - haven't listened to it since release but I remember it being tolerable, 4/10
6. Chapter VI - garbage production and wimpy performance, if Headless Cross or Tyr were actually bad albums like Cross Purposes it would sound like this, 3/10
7. Ancient Dreams - even worse production and completely uninspired, the songs drone on and on with their barely-riffs, 2/10

Haven't heard/don't remember hearing the rest. Candlemass' fall from grace was prodigious.

The first five Trouble albums are great, and the stuff after is never worse than mediocre. With Saint Vitus I dislike a lot of their less-acclaimed stuff but at least they never really lost what they were to begin with. I haven't heard any Pentagram or The Obsessed as bad as Candlemass at their worst either.

1. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2. Nightfall
3. Ancient Dreams
4. Death Magic Doom
5. Tales of Creation
6. From the 13th Sun
7. King of the Grey Islands
8. Chapter IV
9. Candlemass
10. Psalms for the Dead
11. Dactylis Glomerata

Nightfall might be number one for me if it wasnt for the cringefest Samarithan. All good albums, even 6-10 but they didnt really grab me with DG. That one is just weird.