GMD Poll: Candlemass's Discography Ranked

Admittedly I haven't listened to any Candlemass albums outside the first two. Would anyone here care to point me towards some more Candlemass albums that are essential listening? Or did they kinda fall off a cliff at some point?

Admittedly I haven't listened to any Candlemass albums outside the first two. Would anyone here care to point me towards some more Candlemass albums that are essential listening? Or did they kinda fall off a cliff at some point?

For me they didn't really go off a cliff but rather had the typical downward trend in quality. King of the Grey Islands and Death Magic Doom both seem to get some praise from people who tend to look down on their middle period (which would represent an implication that they had a spike in quality later in their career) but I never really got the appeal.

After the first two (which are easily the band's best) I would suggest checking out Tales of Creation and then Chapter VI.

Reactions: jimmy101

They aren't a band I followed much in the later end of their career so I'm listening to their more recent stuff on YT and whatever other site will give it to me.

TBH I'm not feeling much for them, especially in their later albums. There is some good songs amongst what I've heard but not a good album, but I'll throw up a list just to keep the spirit of these threads going.

Still open to some minor changes, though there's no doubt about the first two.

1. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2. Nightfall
3. Tales of Creation ("Into the Unfathomed Tower" is one of my overall favourite instrumentals)
4. Candlemass
5. Ancient Dreams
6. King of the Grey Islands
7. Psalms for the Dead
8. Death Magic Doom
9. Chapter VI
10. Dactylis Glomerata

1. Nightfall (1987)
2. Tales Of Creation (1989)
3. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
4. From The 13th Sun (1999)
5. Psalms For The Dead (2012)
6. Death Magic Doom (2009)
7. Chapter VI (1992)
8. Ancient Dreams (1988)
9. Kings Of Grey Island (2007)
10. Candlemass (2005)
11. Dactylis Glomerata (1998)

So I finally got around to listening to more Candlemass. Listened to their 3rd, 4th and 5th albums. All of which are very good! Perhaps not hitting the heights touched by their first two releases, but all very solid albums nonetheless that retain the true Candlemass sound. I'd say Tales of Creation is my favourite of those three.

Reactions: CiG
Haven't listened to their newer stuff enough to do this, plus I am saving myself for The Chasm round.

Missed the whole Samarithan argument, but it's indeed a great track. Not my favourite on the album, I'll take Well of Souls and Dark are the Veils of Death over it.

Last edited:
it's pretty great sure, not a favourite or anything. the idea of going through their 21st century stuff when the thread got posted didn't really excite me though. i probably voted for them too lol, oh well.