4. Tales of Creation
5. From the 13th Sun
6. King of the Grey Islands
7. Chapter VI
8. Psalms for the Dead
9. Death Doom Magic
10. Candlemass
11. Dactylis Glomerata

Pretty big drop off from #4 to #5 on this list. But no straight up trash albums. Solid discography overall.

First three Ozzy solo records are better than anything he did with Sabbath.

Ozzman didn't specify just the first six. I would say Blizzard of Ozz is easily better than Ozzy's last two albums with Sabbath.

PS_0241W_CENTER_KIDS.jpg

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
#11 Dactylis Glomerata (1998)

3303.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.1/11

Dactylis Glomerata has a couple of decent songs, but most just plod along with boring ideas. I actually still own that one...

I like it...even if at times, I get a really strong influence from the fucking stranglers. I think that the Krux stuff has a real strong Dactylis feel to it, as, in places, does King of the Grey Islands, which I intend to ask Leif about when I meet him in less than three weeks.

...and yes, I know I sound like a smug cunt, but then, I am getting to meet one of all my all time musical idols.

Last edited:
#9 King of the Grey Islands (2007)

150215.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.1/11

King of the Grey Islands needed some time to grow on me, but I like it a lot now. Clearsight is a great song.

I actually love the works of Candlemass with Robert Lowe on vocals, especially King of the Grey Islands.

I personally like Robert Lowe the best vocally, making King of the Grey Islands one of my favorites....

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
#7 Death Magic Doom (2009)

cover.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.5/11

Oh yeah, controversial opinions. Death Magic Doom is the best non-Messiah Candlemass album....including EDM. That's right.

After listening to Death Magic Doom I'm convinced Rob Lowe is just fucking awesome in Candlemass.

King of the Grey Islands and Death Magic Doom both seem to get some praise from people who tend to look down on their middle period (which would represent an implication that they had a spike in quality later in their career) but I never really got the appeal.

#6 Candlemass (2005)

71475.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.7/11

I don't pay much attention to lyrics, but the lyrics I've discerned from listening to Candlemass' self-titled are pretty cool, namely "Black Dwarf", "Copernicus" and "Seven Silver Keys".

I spin the self-titled Candlemass more than I spin Tales of Creation and Nightfall. I haven't really listened to Candlemass in a while though.

Last edited:
#5 From the 13th Sun (1999)

3304.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.4/11

Well if it's because of Messiah's dramatic tone you don't like them you could very well like 13th Sun and Dactylis since Björn Flodkvist has much more restrained vocals. From The 13th Sun is among my top 3 favourite Candlemass-albums actually, it's very underrated. It's also different in style from the "classical" sound, darker and not as epic.

Check out Candlemass' "From the 13th Sun". Oh so doomy and Black Sabbathy.

From the 13th sun is much better than the stuff with the fat oompa loompa.

#4 Ancient Dreams (1988)

600x600.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.9/11

First place votes: 1 (Bloopy)

I think Ancient Dreams is by far the weakest of the first four albums. Some of the songs are unnecessarily long and don't really go anywhere, but it's still a great album. I'd also give Tales the slight edge over Nightfall.

Tales is better instrumentally. A lot more going on in the guitars. The vocals on Ancient Dreams album are the best tho, very passionate. And the instruments leave more space for them.

#2 Nightfall (1987)

124.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.9/11

First place votes: 2 (Oblivious Maximus, Slammed)

Nightfall.

Proven by scientists in 1971 to be the best Candlemass album ever.

skeptic said:
Uh...everything before Nightfall is better, everything after is worse.

Nightfall is one of my favorite metal albums of all time.

[EDM is] alright but not an absolute classic. Nightfall is better.

Last edited:
#1 Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)

MI0000623375.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.5/11

First place votes: 8 (Master Yoda, CiG, HamburgerBoy, Krow, Slayed Necros, Omni, Burkhard, crimsonfloyd)

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus may be better than some of Sabbath's earlier material.

I'd take it over any Sabbath album. Not for influence or innovation, obviously, but all six EDM songs are virtually perfect in performance/passion, and there are no blatant weaker ones like on most Sabbath albums.

Exactly. Sabbath may have created the sound but that album just takes the songwriting and emotional depth of the music to an entirely new level. It's basically the ideal metal album IMO. Atmosphere, riffs, lyrics, ect ect I could go on forever.

I used to consider all four godly, but the more I listen to the albums, the more I realize that all three Messiah albums are redundant. At The Gallows End and Dark Reflections might be capable of rounding out Epicus Doomicus Metallicus into the typical 8-song 80's metal classic, but even those would probably be the weakest. One of the definitive debut-load-shooting bands.

I did struggle a bit with the last part of their disco but I found some interesting stuff in amongst it all. I have a feeling if I'd listened to it a bit more my order would have changed and been less predictable.

Not sure I'll do Chasm or St Vitus, can't say I've listened to either. But I might start on the Dio stuff now and go all the way back to ELF days just for the fun of it.