GMD Poll: Burzum's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Burzum's 11 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-11. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 11 points, your second place album earns 10 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 6 albums. Lists with less than 6 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 11 albums, the first placed album will still get 11 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Friday, October 26th to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

Burzum (1992)
Det som engang var (1993)
Hvis lyset tar oss (1994)
Filosofem (1996)
Dauði Baldrs (1997)
Hliðskjálf (1999)
Belus (2010)
Fallen (2011)
Umskiptar (2012)
Sôl austan, Mâni vestan (2013)
The Ways of Yore (2014)

Reactions: jimmy101
1. Burzum - 7/10, a genuinely good album that at least deserves credit for its innovation
2. Filosofem - 5/10, great sound, songwriting leaves a lot to be desired
3. Belus - 5/10, will need to confirm but I remember this being ok
4. Hliðskjálf - 5/10, better than Daddy Ballerz but doesn't say much, unremarkable but ok
5. Det som engang var - 4/10, half the tracks are basically sketches or interludes, the other half range from crap to just decent, a mess, that 1989 demo or whatever Varg recently confirmed is more coherent and thought-out than this
6. Dauði Baldrs - 3/10, most low-tier video game soundtracks are better than this
7. Hvis lyset tar oss - 2/10, two horseshit do-nothing Manilla Road-tier songs, one that has a legitimately interesting ambient approach, and then 30 minutes of bloopy filler shit

Dauði Baldrs :D
Det Som Engang Var
Hliðskjálf
Berzom
Filosofem
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Fallen
The Ways of Yore (I have listened to this one several times on Varg's YT channel, great for background sounds while doing things)
Umskiptar
Belus
Sôl Austan, Mâni Vestan

Good stuff, good stuff. Will post my list after work this evening. This thread is the perfect excuse for me to blast Burzum until 2am tonight.

His purely ambient albums are fucking awful and unlistenable in general. If you have to listen to something as background music, why bother? Standalone ambient is a trash genre anyway.

1. Filosofem
2. Burzum
3. Det Som Engang Var
4. Fallen
5. Hvis lyset tar oss
6. Belus
7. Umskiptar
8. Hliðskjálf
9. Dauði Baldrs
10. The Ways of Yore
11. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan

If I can only tolerate listening to something by doing other shit and trying to forget I’m listening to it, it sucks.

If I can only tolerate listening to something by doing other shit and trying to forget I’m listening to it, it sucks.

Are you retarded? Who said anything about that being the only way to listen to it? Different music is good for different things. I put on certain music before bed, I put on certain music while working out, I put on certain music while reading etc. This doesn't mean that's the only way I can stomach said music. It's weird that I have to explain this basic shit.

most low-tier video game soundtracks are better than this

Most low-tier video game soundtracks are better than Byrzam and most black metal in general.