7) Dead Again

1. Melissa
2. Don't Break the Oath
3. Into the Unknown
4. In the Shadows
5. Dead Again
6. Time
7. 9

After the debut my other favourite MF songs are scattered throughout the 90s, so DBTO would've been at risk if any of them were a bit more consistent.

6. In The Shadows (1997)
Including the years would've gone better if you'd just copied and pasted from the list in the 1st post of the thread!

I'm finalizing my list and should have it available shortly.

Is there an official thread for making suggestions for future discographys to rate? If not I'll just add here that I think The Ruins of Beverast and Taake would be two rather interesting ones to take up.

Including the years would've gone better if you'd just copied and pasted from the list in the 1st post of the thread!

My apologies for making a typo I hope it doesn't change the final count too much.

I'm finalizing my list and should have it available shortly.

Is there an official thread for making suggestions for future discographys to rate? If not I'll just add here that I think The Ruins of Beverast and Taake would be two rather interesting ones to take up.

Get it in by Friday.

Yes, the next one is set already (Graveland) but after that I'll post a thread in which people can vote for bands they would like to see.

1. Don't Break the Oath 10/10
2. Melissa 9/10
3. In the Shadows 7-7.5/10
4. 9. 6.5-7/10
5. Dead Again 6.5-7/10
6. Into the Unknown 6.5
7. Time 6.5

Its difficult to distiniguish the last 4 records from one another in quality. I've heard them each once now so its not like I have an intimate knowledge of each of their tracklists. 4 could be 7 or 7 could 4 theyre all vaguely the same shit in my eyes, I just enjoyed Dead Again and 9 more probably because I was in a better mood overall while hearing them. I may have also been biased against Time because of the negative comments on here. Overall, 2 legendary records and a pretty underwhelming discography after that.

The Mercyful Fate E.P 9/10
Return of the Vampire 9/10

Both classic material, I might slot them both ahead of Melissa if they were in the rankings.

1. Don't Break the Oath
2. Into the Unknown
3. Melissa
4. In the Shadows
5. Time
6. 9
7. Dead Again

Very little separates 1 and 7. I feel like they're all good, but not my thing. It's just a matter of how many songs I actually enjoy listening to, which ranges from 30-70%. Overall, a band I have very few feelings about.

Will post results soon.

7) Time (1994)

751.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.2/7

All Mercyful Fate is good. Some is untouchable. Everything past the first two is underrated. I dont really like Time and its still a 7/10 for me.

6) Dead Again (1998)

mercyful-fate-dead-again-black-180g-lp-front.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.4/7

As for Fate, not a huge fan of Dead Again or Into the Unknown.

Last edited:
2) Don't Break the Oath (1984)

R-728378-1476451522-5006.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.3/7

First place votes: 4

Don't break the Oath > Pretty much everything. One of my favourite albums.

It is super close for both those albums. The reason I prefer DBTO is because that's one of the first extreme metal albums I bought. I still own that exact copy too so it's nostalgia and sentiment for me. I also didn't really like it at the time because of King's vocals but now I fucking love it.

Don't Break the Oath is def. my favorite Mercyful Fate album. Mainly because of the song "Gypsy". It's also my favorite album cover. AND it's in my top 5 albums of all time.

1) Melissa (1983)

R-1236151-1202735638.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.4/7

First place votes: 5

Melissa. Every song on that album is a winner. No filler at all.

Melissa and Oath are two are the greatest metal albums ever. For me though... Melissa wins by a micron even though I like the production on Oath more.

Oath is a better 'riff-fest', but Melissa is a better quality album overall.

melissa is more flawless but not as crazy and wild imo. which is sort of a misleading statement 'cause it's still more crazy and wild than practically every other band ever.