GMD Poll: D.R.I.'s discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank D.R.I.'s 6 albums plus Dirty Rotten EP, and number each album 1-7. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 7 points, your second place album earns 6 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 4 albums. Lists with less than 4 albums will not be counted. But this is a short discography, so I'm encouraging people to rank all 7 albums.
  • If you list less than 7 albums, the first placed album will still get 7 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is ranked in order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Saturday, June 5th at 10:00 AM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

Dirty Rotten EP (1983)
Dealing with it! (1985)
Crossover (1987)
4 of a Kind (1988)
Thrash Zone (1989)
Defintion (1992)
Full Speed Ahead (1995)

Last edited:
1) Thrash Zone
this is DRI’s peak album, their best blend of punk/crossover and thrash. Good amount of variety, a couple weak tracks can be overlooked

2) 4 of a Kind
the band started to come into their own style instead just being a punk band with metal influences. I still would have liked more metal and development but there are a few solid tracks on this

3) Dirty Rotten EP
This album is a rough mess lol, but it’s intense and surprisingly listenable. The raw youthful energy is fun to hear

4) Definition
that opening track is one of the most metal songs they’ve ever written, it’s sinister sounding in places. It’s too bad the rest of the album doesn’t quite hold up. I appreciate them stepping outside their box though, and I’d rather listen to this again than Crossover which is just one long song. Don’t Ask is another interesting track on this

5) Dealing with It
this album is like 90% punk and 10% metal. It’s decent but the songs are Too short even for crossover. Lacks development of ideas. Still has some of the fun of the Dirty Rotten EP

6) Crossover
this is like one long mosh pit song. It’s good, high energy, probably fun live for a while, but as a studio album it’s pretty monotonous. Lacks tempo changes

7) Full Speed Ahead
At this point it seems like they’re being held back by their own style. Just when they start try something new they reliably fall back into the same classic crossover grooves but without the fun or inspiration of the early albums. The lyrics suffer on this album and it drags often. The first track comes on strong at least

1. Dealing With It!

R-417964-1579212528-3190.mpo.jpg

2. 4 of a Kind
3. Crossover
4. Dirty Rotten EP
5. Thrash Zone
6. Full Speed Ahead
7. Definition

I'll always be a punk at heart, as good as their more metal shit is I always just come back to Dealing With It! the most. Fucking love that album, feel like I've had that on CD forever.

Definition I heard for the first time yesterday so it has that going against it, and Full Speed Ahead is one I don't throw on very often. Good shit though obviously.

1. Dirty Rotten
2. Four of a Kind
3. Crossover
4. Dealing With It!
5. Definition
6. Full Speed Ahead
7. Thrash Zone

Well this wasn't the worst discography we've done, but it was close. I at least enjoyed Dirty Rotten because it's raw and intense punk. Dealing With It! already starts to add in some of the cornier elements of punk. The crossover stuff is just a dull middle ground between punk and thrash that merges the least interesting elements of each into a flavorless sound. Not a great song on any of those albums. The first two are at least listenable, but their later stuff is so fucking boring.

Last edited:
7) Full Speed Ahead (1995)

R-7789011-1448804947-8855.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.7/7

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity