GMD Poll: Carcass's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Carcass's 6 albums plus the Tools of the Trade EP. Order and number each album 1-7. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 7 points, your second place album earns 6 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 4 albums. Lists with less than 4 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 7 albums, the first placed album will still get 7 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is in ranked order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Friday, July 31st at 5:00 PM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
Symphonies of Sickness (1989)
Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
Tools of the Trade (1992)
Heartwork (1993)
Swansong (1996)
Surgical Steel (2013)

1. Surgical Steel (2013)
2. Necroticism Descanting The Insalubrious (1991)
3. Symphonies Of Sickness (1989)
4. Heartwork (1993)
5. Tools of the Trade (1992)
6. Reek Of Putrefaction (1988)
7. Swansong (1996)

1. Necroticism
2. Symphonies of Sickness
3. Heartwork
4. Surgical Steel
5. Swansong
6. Reek of Putrefaction

Not hard to do:

1 Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
2 Tools of the Trade (1992)
3 Heartwork (1993)
4 Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
5 Symphoniesof Sickness (1989)
6 Surgical Steel (2013)
7 Swansong (1996)

I enjoy everything by the band, even the generally hated Swansong. I feel like I rank Necroticism a little lower than most people but after two albums of disgusting gore it felt like a slight let down to kind of shift to a more straightforward death metal. Heartwork on the other hand is one of the greatest melodic death metal albums to exist. Surgical Steel is cool but you might be retarded if you voted it #1

1. Symphonies of Sickness (1989)
2. Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
3. Heartwork (1993)
4. Tools of the Trade (1992)
5. Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
6. Surgical Steel (2013)
7. Swansong (1996)

Reactions: CiG
1. Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
2. Tools of the Trade (EP) (1992)
3. Heartwork (1993)
4. Symphonies of Sickness (1989)
5. Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
6. Swansong (1996)
7. Surgical Steel (2013)

Carcass does rank as one of the very best metal bands out there. Everything up to Swansong was great. When Amott came in, the band seemed to be bulking up and crystallizing at the same time, creating a very serendipitous effect. I find Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious & Tools of the Trade (EP) to be commanding works of the genre. When Walker screams "hearses a must" from their Live from Rome bootleg, my metal senses go right into overload. I still listen to Heartwork & Symphonies of Sickness constantly. I think Swansong is underrated.

Last edited:
1. Symphonies of Sickness (1989)
2. Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
3. Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
4. Tools of the Trade (1992)
5. Heartwork (1993)
6. Surgical Steel (2013)
7. Swansong (1996)

Last edited:
7) Swansong (1996)

Carcass-Swansong-820x793.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.4/7

Carcass probably would've continued in the shitastic vein of Swansong hadn't they broken up.

I think carcass's swansoong is an amazing album. I Liked there profression, from a noisy as hell grindcore to a downright Kick ass metal band. I loved necrotism and heartwork, but this album is always getting bad reviews; is it really that bad. I think its a grea album and carcass is surely missed.

Did anybody catch the carcass mention in a friends episode?

I don't hate it, but it is definitely my least favorite album of theirs. It is not a death metal album, and I think the people who hate it listened to it expecting to hear death metal.

I liked the first two tracks, but compared to Carcass' other stuff it falls well below the line of greatness.

Last edited:
6) Reek of Putrefaction (1988)

R-367385-1229040447.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.11/7

I second Reek of Putrefaction. Its production is shit.

Reek Of Putrefaction kicks heartwork in the balls... Anyone who does not realize this obviously has no concept of good, or balls dangling between thier legs.

I'd like to see a grindcore band with keyboards. Imagine Carcass' Reek of Putrefaction with a few string parts here and there. :lol:

The first time I heard Reek Of Putrefaction by Carcass was while I was eating pink vanilla wafers. Therefore, I now associate that entire album with pink vanilla wafers.

Last edited:
5) Surgical Steel (2013)

1000x1000.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.12

First place votes: 1 (@Slammed)

i guess an even more controversial thing for me to say is is that i think surgical steel is better than heartwork

Not sure if this is controversial or not but Surgical Steel may be the best extreme metal album of the past 2 or 3 years.

I only thought the album was okay, but I like all their other stuff.

Last edited:
3) Heartwork (1993)

Average points per vote: 4.5/7

First place votes: 1 (@zerostatic)

This album is the perfect all round DM album. It mixes speed and melody while still keeping the heavy sound. This album is so well rounded using pure structuralism and 2 guitars which produces excellent intricacies.

Lyrically the album contains the most advanced/most intellectual DM lyrics known. The type of English which puts The Guardian to shame.

Does anyone think there is any Death Metal album better than this one?

Heartwork simply is not that good.

Talking shit about Heartwork is execution in 49 states.

Heartwork is a more bland, dull, univentive version of Necrotism

I just bought Heartwork, one of the best CD's Ive ever heard ever. Discuss Carcass.

I don't mind Heartwork from a "sell out" perspective, but it's still a crappy, boring album.

Last edited:
2) Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)

1000x1000.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.7/7

First place votes: 4 (@alex76 @Allfader @J. @TechnicalBarbarity )

Necroticism didn't need to be approved upon. Carcass may have tried to improve the Necroticism formula, but they failed with Heartwork.

Melody is overrated.

I like Necroticism, its solid and all, but the songs tend to be a little too long.

Necroticism is winning by a mile, because it's all about the riffs baby, it's all about the riffs.:kickass:

I prefere the solos on Necroticism over heartwork. I find the solos and riffs on necroticism to be less predictable musically and song structure wise where on heartwork just about all the riffs and solos are all placed in the same spots in a very organised pop structure way.

Last edited: