GMD Poll: Opeth’s Discography Ranked

7) Ghost Reveries (2005)

Average points per vote: 6.5/12

I never see Ghost Reveries love, I think that one by far mixed the prog elements the best with death metal, it's groovy as fuck yet impossibly heavy. Also the open d tuning is fantastic

Ghost Reveries. It's pretty much put me off Opeth completely.

Ghost Reveries had its moments, but next to previous Opeth releases it's a piece of shit, but def. not anything close to the worst metal album.

6) Deliverance (2002)

7909.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.8/12

First place votes: 1 (@Bruticus)

CF87 said:
I really like Deliverance. It's probably the bands most dark/bleak album other than my arms,your hearse. Deliverance is probably the heaviest opeth.

Opeth - Deliverance. At first, it was very interesting. Now, when I try to listen to it, it's boring and drags on like a fuck.

Deliverance is crap. There are two good songs on that album.

5) Orchid (1995)

R-5076240-1460985218-7752.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.22/12

First place votes: 3 (@Terasophe @J. @Krow)

Orchid is great. I just wish they wouldn't make their songs sooooo long.

orchid is mostly meandering exercises in futility...

I dont either like Orchid that much and i absolutely love Morningrise. I think many think Orchid sounds a bit like a less mature Morningrise.

Fucking yes. Orchid is their weakest by far.

With Opeth, there is only Orchid.

4) Still Life (1999)

Average points per vote: 8.24/12

First place votes: 1 (@EspaDa)

Still Life is the pinnacle of their creativity. Face of Melinda is a killer.

still life is the most saccharine and forced of opeth's first few imo, never liked it too much.

Still Life by Opeth is excellent for solos, the bands best album from a guitar stand point.

It seems as though the majority of Still Life drags for too long.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
3) Morningrise (1996)

a1034846482_16.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.17/12

First place votes: 3 (@crimsonfloyd @spikes77 @jimmy101)

For me, Morningrise is easily their best record. I guess that has to do with the slight black metal influences in the music.

Regarding Morningrise, I think people are looking at it wrong. It's journey music. There isn't supposed to be a fixed structure to it. All the songs have clear emotive developments and distinct moods to them, so I see no problems with the song structures.

my complaint is that it fails, at least partially anyway, at being journey music. a journey requires coherence kind of by definition, and the same goes for sustaining or developing a mood - obviously jarring transitions can sometimes serve a conceptual purpose but in opeth's case they just don't have an instinct for flow, nor do they have quality control, nor the humility to recognise their own limitations etc (all of which is true of most prog metal when compared to prog rock and/or trad metal, let's face it). i think they matured into somewhat less crude songwriters after this album, but they also slowly started to run out of good ideas unfortunately.but w/e, none of this mattered to me when i was 14 and i'm not sure i've ever been so deeply moved by music before or since. this album (all the first five really) will always have a place in my heart.

no it's because they haven't done anything worthwhile since morningrise and the only really good thing about those albums was the ass shakin bass awww yeah

2) Blackwater Park (2001)

09acba93727a483f8ed0579ba60dce61.715x715x1.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.21/12

First place votes: 4 (@zabu of nΩd @challenge_everything @Dak @Draehl)

I bought Blackwater Park after several friends suggested I check them out and I listened to it once and found it boring and somewhat cheesy.

Listen to it ten times, I guarantee you'll think different. No one gets into an Opeth album after one listen, and it's impossible to make a valid statement about an Opeth album after just one listen, which I think too many people try to do.

Blackwater Park by Opeth. The minute that kick ass guitarfill then intro riff kicks in I knew I had picked the right band to listen to.

I must be the only one who thinks that "Blackwater Park" is their best effort. I think that's where they peaked and they've declined slowly..

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
1) My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)

1000x1000.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.8/12

First place votes: 4 (@Allfader @no country for old wainds @Anom@nder Rake @The Ozzman)

MAYH sounds too much like a demo compared to BWP.

Dak said:
MAYH sounds like a symphony compared to BWP.
Fixed that for you again

Can you dicks go one minute in this thread without lapsing into "no, MAYH is better" "no BWP is better"

I think MAYH was the most concise album, and Still Life was the most disjointed.

[My Arms, Your Hearse is] probably the only Opeth album I can listen to over and over again.

Awesome, BWP made 1st or 2nd.

It beat out Morningrise by .04 points :cry:

Also for full transparency, I didn't count the vote by Onionbust. I believe his only other post ever on this forum was in the Suffocation Discography thread, which I also didn't count. Maybe he's just a newbie who likes these threads, but it's a little sketch. Had I counted it, the top five probably would have been 1. MAYH 2. Morningrise 3. BWP 4. Orchid 5. Still Life

Morningrise and BWP were super close, as were Orchid and Still Life.

MAYH rightfully gets the #1 spot

I'm happy with it. Morningrise has always been my favorite, but MAYH is amazing as well. I'm mainly glad it wasn't Blackwater Park, which is severely overrated. I mean it has some great songs on it, but it also has more skippable parts than the previous four albums combined.

Anyways, double checked. Razor's next, followed by Dream Theater and Destruction. Will get Razor posted tomorrow and ya'll can go ahead and get started on Dream Theater now, since it takes about a month to process one of their albums.

Yeah, pretty happy with MAYH sitting atop the tree. I feel that same as crimson in regards to BWP, a tad overrated by most Opeth fans imo.

My Arms Your Hearse makes a great death metal album. That artwork is super bleak and mysterious too. Its perfect. As much as I love Orchid, MAYH is probably Opeth at their heaviest.

Reactions: Allfader