GMD Poll: Razor's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Razor’s 8 studio albums plus their debut EP. Order and number each album 1-9. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 9 points, your second place album earns 8 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 5 albums. Lists with less than 5 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 9 albums, the first placed album will still get 8 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is in ranked order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Friday September 6th at 4 PM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

Armed and Dangerous EP (1984)
Executioner's Song (1985)
Evil Invaders (1985)
Malicious Intent (1986)
Custom Killing (1987)
Violent Restitution (1988)
Shotgun Justice (1990)
Open Hostility (1991)
Decibels (1997)

Last edited:
Preliminary would be

1. Violent Restitution - great sound, fat punchy guitar tone, slightly more advanced writing while still catchy and memorable, 7.5/10
2. Evil Invaders - top throatshredding vocals, good songs, 7.5/10
3. Shotgun Justice - lack of Sheepdog is the main deficit relative to Violet Restitution, but Reid ain't bad and the songs are still good, 6/10
4. Custom Killing - Razor's only experimental album which makes it admirable, but while it has a couple of their greatest songs, it also has a couple of their worst, and the overall pacing is inconsistent, 6/10
5. Malicious Intent - decent but an all-around inferior follow-up to Evil Invaders, half the songs (while solid) are kinda generic/recycle-y, and the sound isn't as ugly either, 5/10
6. Executioner's Song
7. Decibels - this isn't really that different from Open Hostility, but the ugly hi-hat has been replaced with ugly vocal distortion effects, there aren't really any super-memorable songs even though it never descends into outright crap and the songs themselves are probably slightly more elaborate than those albums, 4/10
8. Open Hostility - ehhhh maybe hasn't grown on me that much, there are still four or so good memorable songs but many are just ok, and that programmed hi-hat sounds fucking awful, 3/10

But I haven't listened to Executioner's Song in a while and I barely even remember listening to Decibels, so I'll at least give both of those a relisten. Probably Malicious Intent too, since Shotgun Justice and Open Hostility have grown on me recently, not sure if it still deserves to be ranked above those other two.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Shotgun Justice (1990)
Open Hostility (1991)
Violent Restitution (1988)
Evil Invaders (1985)
Malicious Intent (1986)
Decibels (1997)
Executioner's Song (1985)
Custom Killing (1987)

tumblr_n0h9miM5Ww1t5b5qeo1_400.gif

1. Violent Restitution
2. Shotgun Justice
3. Evil Invaders
4. Malicious Intent
5. Executioner's Song
6. Open Hostility
7. Custom Killing
8. Decibels

Few random thoughts.....

One of my favorite bands, like in the top 3.

Besides for Violent Restitution being #1 and Decibels being last the rest is all interchangeable in rankings imo.

Custom Killing is their most underrated album, shitty production doesn't really bother me but it definitely hurts the album.

Bob Reid is great vocalist and actually sounds like he swallowed razors, but doesn't come close to Sheepdog and his screeching car tire screams.

.......these thoughts and rankings are dedicated to Charles Bronson

hqdefault.jpg

1cdS0km.jpg

1 - Violent Restitution (1988)
2 - Evil Invaders (1985)
3 - Shotgun Justice (1990)
4 - Malicious Intent (1986)
5 - Custom Killing (1987)
6 - Open Hostility (1991)
7 - Executioner's Song (1985)
8 - Armed and Dangerous EP (1984)
9 - Decibels (1997)

eh what's the rush. I say we leave it open for a little longer just so we can get more people to contribute.

Plus whoever the next band is im pretty sure they dont have a better discog and its not like we cant get it started while leaving this one open no?