If Burzum did 1 show... would you go?

I don't think Burzum's music would fit live settings very well, so no.

The long songs like Det Som Engang Var probably wouldn't fit live settings very well, but Burzum has a lot of shorter songs like Lost Wisdom and War that would have been badass live.

Burzum's just more of a band I listen to when alone. His music has a misanthropic atmosphere to it, and playing in front of a bunch of people would be contradictory to that. And his worst songs are usually the short ones (except Rundgang is long as fuck but it's really difficult for even me to get into).

Also, just kind of standing there with a bunch of other people standing seems like it would be rather boring.

Also, just kind of standing there with a bunch of other people standing seems like it would be rather boring.

'Cause it's not like there'd be music to listen to. :)

With the utmost respect, man, I just can't wrap my mind around how people feel the band has to be jumping around the stage and the audience has to be dancing or moshing or what-have-you. I'm certain most of us here spend plenty of time sitting or standing and staring while listening to music. What is it about having other people near you which suddenly makes this unacceptable?

Personally, hearing the band live, seeing the band perform the music before you (even if it's some noise artist who just presses a button every ten minutes), that's all of the fun. Anything else is highly unnecessary and often detrimental. If I'm seeing a band that I'm only half into then I'll be moshing and headbanging or swaying, whatever depending on the genre. But if it's a band I really like, everything is focused totally on the music. No distractions.

Burzum's just more of a band I listen to when alone. His music has a misanthropic atmosphere to it, and playing in front of a bunch of people would be contradictory to that. And his worst songs are usually the short ones (except Rundgang is long as fuck but it's really difficult for even me to get into).

Well in the OP's defense, Esoteric, Darkspace, etc. all play live.

'Cause it's not like there'd be music to listen to. :)

With the utmost respect, man, I just can't wrap my mind around how people feel the band has to be jumping around the stage and the audience has to be dancing or moshing or what-have-you. I'm certain most of us here spend plenty of time sitting or standing and staring while listening to music. What is it about having other people near you which suddenly makes this unacceptable?

Personally, hearing the band live, seeing the band perform the music before you (even if it's some noise artist who just presses a button every ten minutes), that's all of the fun. Anything else is highly unnecessary and often detrimental. If I'm seeing a band that I'm only half into then I'll be moshing and headbanging or swaying, whatever depending on the genre. But if it's a band I really like, everything is focused totally on the music. No distractions.

Yeah, but why not just listen to the music at home? I guess if the right kind of tech is used, then it might be more enjoyable.

Yeah, but why not just listen to the music at home? I guess if the right kind of tech is used, then it might be more enjoyable.

'Cause it sounds a lot better live, and to see the music actually happen is incredible.

Granted I don't have quite so much metal show experience. I don't go to concerts much anymore but as a younger kid I did and that was when I was into classic rock... and all anybody ever did at those shows was stand and stare.

The standing and the staring is the part I'm really comfortable with. I'd actually be kind of nervous to go to see Slayer or somebody who I'm really going to want to be rocking out to, 'cause I'd be embarassed to do that in front of everybody! :D I could just mosh but I wouldn't want to be doing that for the entirity of the show.

Because any band which can't sound better live, on high end speakers and amps and after playing a song for years or decades, is bloody useless and not worthy of being supported?

Because any band which can't sound better live, on high end speakers and amps and after playing a song for years or decades, is bloody useless and not worthy of being supported?

So their ability of playing decades ago determines if I should listen to something the band did way before? That's stupid.

So their ability of playing decades ago determines if I should listen to something the band did way before? That's stupid.

If they can't get better at a song after playing it over and over again hundreds or thousands of time, they are flop musicians. Why should you support flop musicians? My point is that it's only natural that live performances > studio performances and it's the live performances that truly determine if a band is good or not.