Burzum - The Fallen (2011)

this album could have been made by any of hundreds of tenth string bands at any point in the last 15 or so years. how people can act like this is in any way notable is amazing, but given the lack of standards of the metal community in general i guess not particularly surprising.

:rolleyes:

I guess it was only the matter of time before someone came in and shit on the parade. Following black metal for a number of years and listening to a number of releases it is easy to say that no one captures the same atmosphere as Burzum. If you want interesting compositions and noodling musicianship you'll have to extend your mind into the realm of progressive metal and pick up the likes of Seventh Wonder or Dream Theater. Burzum has never been about imaginative riffs and tight solos or anything like that. So when looking at Burzum in the atmospheric light the lack of standards argument is void unless you are so stuck up on that aspect. Then Burzum is not the band for you and that should have been apparent upon the very first listen.

1. Come into Burzum thread obviously full of Burzum fans.
2. Troll
3. ???
4. Profit

And blah blah it's his opinion, it's trolling in this thread.

I don't know who said his screams sound weak? I think they are sounding awesome, better than Belus imo. And I am loving his cleans, might not be the best but they are very soothing, he has a pleasing voice.

after a few listens I gotta say that im not too impressed with Fallen. What I hear is lazily composed and lacks the proper execution to give me a lasting impression. In the past Varg has gotten away with average musicianship by creating albums with atmosphere and emotion (substance), but Fallen is missing those special qualities that made previous Burzum albums noteworthy.

That said, there are some interesting tracks like Vallen, but for the most part its pretty generic for Varg. Belus was much better imo.

:rolleyes:

I guess it was only the matter of time before someone came in and shit on the parade. Following black metal for a number of years and listening to a number of releases it is easy to say that no one captures the same atmosphere as Burzum. If you want interesting compositions and noodling musicianship you'll have to extend your mind into the realm of progressive metal and pick up the likes of Seventh Wonder or Dream Theater. Burzum has never been about imaginative riffs and tight solos or anything like that. So when looking at Burzum in the atmospheric light the lack of standards argument is void unless you are so stuck up on that aspect. Then Burzum is not the band for you and that should have been apparent upon the very first listen.

what a bizarre, nonsensical point. (old) burzum is probably my favorite black metal band btw...

Varg fallen and he can't get up, he's one of the many of the fallen that fell.

Varg has his own style and sound you either don't like it or you do.
Exactly man. And if anyone on this board thinks Belus and Fallen are masterpieces in Black metal, your just not paying attention man. Varg should just stay on his farm, raise goats or chickens or what ever the fuck he does and give up music. The only thing about Fallen that is even remotely good is the album cover. He'll never re-capture the old days and he's simply not good enough of a musician to carry on any further.

I still don't have an opinion on Fallen. I liked Belus though. Time will show.

Everytime someone posts a black metal song it sounds identical to another black metal song posted that heard before. I normally do not find artists/bands to be distinguishable or have their own indentity/style who play BM, but that's just me.

Atrocious production? It's black metal, what are you looking for, Hysteria?
"Jeg Faller" was one of the tracks I heard last night and I do agree the main riff was irritating - the harmony vocals on the chorus (or "pop hooks" as someone called it on Rate Your Music) are also really out of place and detract from the song.

just because an album is black metal does not mean it must or should have weak production. good production and bm aren't mutually exclusive. borknager proved this, as have many other bm bands.