Burzum - The Fallen (2011)

his point was actually quite clear. what burzum lacks in creativity/imagination/technicality it makes up for in 'atmosphere'.

it was clear but its a total non sequitur? i said it sounds generic and his response is "it's supposed to be atmospheric, if you're looking for technicality go elsewhere" as if atmospheric music cant show originality and artistic vision and the only way to make distinguished music is with guitar wankery.

you know, completely ignoring the fact that at least the first three burzum albums sound like pretty much nothing else out there even now (filosofem, while still good, is based on a simpler, more uniform template and is hence where all the lazy 'burzum clones' take their cues from. all those bands evidently possess such a facile understanding of the music that it's laughable to even refer to them as clones though really)

he doesnt need to make music in a radically different style, he just needs to make better music. old burzum is exemplary black metal. the fallen, again, could have been the work of any one of thousands of (deservedly) no-name bands. the fact that you use that particular strawman to attack my argument is telling of the fact that you, like most black metal fans, are incapable of distinguishing quality music from no-effort garbage. so long as its got plenty of distortion and droning riffs and spooky arpeggios and tremolo picking its all good right?

he doesnt need to make music in a radically different style, he just needs to make better music. old burzum is exemplary black metal. the fallen, again, could have been the work of any one of thousands of (deservedly) no-name bands. the fact that you use that particular strawman to attack my argument is telling of the fact that you, like most black metal fans, are incapable of distinguishing quality music from no-effort garbage. so long as its got plenty of distortion and droning riffs and spooky arpeggios and tremolo picking its all good right?

We are still waiting for you to name one of those "no-name bands" that could have written anything sounding like Fallen. I am not a big fan of it but even so it's hard to deny that Varg is trying to move away from the conventional and is making something no one has though of before, although I can't say that I am happy with the direction he is moving.

Everytime someone posts a black metal song it sounds identical to another black metal song posted that heard before. I normally do not find artists/bands to be distinguishable or have their own indentity/style who play BM, but that's just me.

Yeah, that's just you.

I kinda liked Fallen on first listen. Need to give it a few more listens though. I think it has some new elements in it, while Belus was more like your typical Burzum album.

this album could have been made by any of hundreds of tenth string bands at any point in the last 15 or so years. how people can act like this is in any way notable is amazing, but given the lack of standards of the metal community in general i guess not particularly surprising.

nope.avi

Exactly man. And if anyone on this board thinks Belus and Fallen are masterpieces in Black metal, your just not paying attention man. Varg should just stay on his farm, raise goats or chickens or what ever the fuck he does and give up music. The only thing about Fallen that is even remotely good is the album cover. He'll never re-capture the old days and he's simply not good enough of a musician to carry on any further.

If you can find me a BM album from 2010 that is better than Belus, be my guest. I'm all ears when it comes to finding good BM.

I've actually been meaning to check that out for awhile, after seeing its resounding praise here. Guess now's a good time.

Any more?

Well, back a few months ago, when I was searching up for Inquisition to try, I found and ended up really loving Nefarious Dismal Orations; that's what turned me onto them in the first place. It wasn't silly at all.

Dark Tribe is great too. (Maybe that's just me?)

I thought the album previous to the new one was wonky as all fuck, which was awesome. I am intrigued.