New to opeth, what should I expect?

bobvex

Teh Forum Fuhrer
Sep 16, 2002
I'll be going to the Opeth show tonight, in Denver. I havent heard a lot of their music, but I'm going tonight to hear a decent amount or them. WHat should i expect?

Fantastic music that you will probably not fully understand not having heard it enough. With the exception of Deliverance (their weakest album in my mind) each of their albums has taken multiple listens to fully appreciate. What at first might seem like a wall of sound reveals itself to be quite intricate and delicate. What at first might seem to be a soft gentle passage becomes a repressed brutal assault slowed down with self restraint on the part of the band.

It took me at least a year to enjoy My Arms Your Hearse as much as I do today. Still Life took even longer. I hope you have a good time though.

You are entitled to your opinion but opeth has made enough amazing songs and records to earn the right to never have their name, and the word 'weakest' in the same sentence. While it may be your least favorite album, it is still an amazing album and in no way weak. As with every other song they have done, the songs on deliverance are ALL in their own right, masterpieces.... perfect masterpieces.

you will discover how tight their sound is and get an idea of the complexity....but you need to listen to their albums by yourself over and over again to fully understand the powerful atmosphere that their music creates. but beware, you might see people like ggggggu. ggggggu is one of those people that all should look up to. he is full of wisdom and can always make everyone else look inferior. thank you for always charming us with your sharp mind, ggggggu.

JoeVice said:
you will discover how tight their sound is and get an idea of the complexity....but you need to listen to their albums by yourself over and over again to fully understand the powerful atmosphere that their music creates. but beware, you might see people like ggggggu. ggggggu is one of those people that all should look up to. he is full of wisdom and can always make everyone else look inferior. thank you for always charming us with your sharp mind, ggggggu.
gggggu = attention whore.

as to the original question, if you don't know Opeth's music you will not enjoy it that much, since its so complicated and not repetitive. Get one of their albums and give it a number of listens. Once you hear it a few times (and hopefully like it) you will see why opeth's music requires a certain level of dedication from a listener.

Its hard to listen to regular music you dont know in a live situation. doing that wil opeth will be even harder. The soft stuff will work right away though, as it had on my cousin and his wife. :wave:

well i went to the show, and i liked it quite a bit, the people i went with were saying the same things you guys were, that its different, and uniquie in its own way. So i wasn't expecting much going into it, but i did like it, probably not as much as i hoped i would, but yeah i did like it, maybe ill go pick up an album now. thanks guys.

what is a good one, somebody above negatively mentioned Deliverance, but i dont know too much about them. Coming from Guitar showcasing metal such as Children Of Bodom, In Flames, Sonata Arctica, and what not, i would like to find an album with the best gitar work.

With In-Fames & Bodom on your setlist, surprising your not more into Opeth. Deliverance is an amazing cd - and according to Opeth, their heaviest. The most commercial is "Blackwater Park". If you have nothing, that's probably the place to start. If you get into it, then I would get MAYH (My Arms, Your Hearse).. That CD has shorter songs and a good variety.

RjBeals said:
O -and if you can play Bodom on guitar - you are a badass. (Besides "Everytime I Die")
haha, i can't play leads, yet but im working on 3 string sweeps and what not. I've played guitar for 5 years now, and only really discovered really good guitar work. so im late, and im pissed at myself for not finding out about really good guitar players earlier, because the older you get, the harder it is to learn that stuff.

bobvex said:
haha, i can't play leads, yet but im working on 3 string sweeps and what not. I've played guitar for 5 years now, and only really discovered really good guitar work. so im late, and im pissed at myself for not finding out about really good guitar players earlier, because the older you get, the harder it is to learn that stuff.

I think the "Than" in your sig should be "Then".....

And I'm Dutch????? :Smug:

bobvex said:
I'll be going to the Opeth show tonight, in Denver. I havent heard a lot of their music, but I'm going tonight to hear a decent amount or them. WHat should i expect?
It would've been nice to know the songs well before going to the show...but oh well. There's always more Opeth concerts in the future. Once you know what they're playing, note by note, it's much more satisfying.