New Trivium Song

I quite like this actually. Still doesn't sound like it's got anything to back it up though, as a band they seem like they're just steadily getting better at going through the motions

I believe the reason they got a lot of hate was in the same vain of why most people who were fans of Bullet For My Valentine hated Scream, Aim, Fire.

They got a lot of success early in their career and got called things like "The Next Metallica!" and were hyped into being the next big thing because they were bringing back guitar solos to commercial metal... they then released their next albums (The Crusade and Scream, Aim, Fire) and it seemed they got too big for their boots and were actually trying to be Metallica. That pissed me off, Ascendancy and The Poison were cool.

Just the way i see it anyway...

Weird how people are saying this sounds more like Ascendancy (which everyone used to shit all over), while simultaneously saying this is way better than the later Trivium? Honestly I don't know. It sounds fine. Personally, I've bought every Trivium CD for the mix 1st and songs 2nd as silly as that may be, and I'll probably buy the next one regardless.

Trivium was one of those bands that didn't really interest me, all their material was really solid and really well written but it just didn't did it for me. It all sounded a little too cliché for me, and i thought Matt Heafy's singing sounded a little whiney too me. But holy fuck, those guys have really grown since the latest album. Some great riffs in there and some very nice vocal lines and cool layers. I'll certainly keep an eye out on this one

people calling them the next Metallica was only because Matt had make a joke about them being the next Metallica in an interview, but went on to say that Metallica had influenced them a lot growing up and that they wanted show that and would hope to have the same type of legacy as Metallica has. This of course was taken by the haters (death metal kids to be exact) who hated trivium because of their emo/hardcore look and sound and they were stepping away from it, of course these basement dwellers attached on to a new reason to hate by singling out trivium as riff steelers even though they would deny the fact that this phenomenon happens to every band.

Yes most metal musicians will hold their dislike for trivium because they believe that Ascendancy, while having a good production, is overall cheesy (subject to opinion, ex: I think Avenged Sevenfold music is cheesy). The critics will not get over albums that happened over 5 years ago and make the judgment of the band now that they are adults now and have experience under their belts. When they started they were a bunch of jr high kids writing music because it was a past time for them, got huge when they were in high school, they were still kids.

Don't we all have projects that we did in High School that we are embarrassed of, did we not grow to write better less cheesy music? Yes, and trivium or any other band should be treated no differently.

There is nothing to bad about them now, they have a very conservative image for a metal band, they aren't angry at the world and talk sing about human dismemberment for sadistic pleasure (like all death metal), wear corpse pain, or hail satan, however black metal bands and death metal bands are highly revered here, while trivium's image and sound is more down to earth and realistic from the majority of metal bands that are so popular in the metal world.

Isn't it at all possible that people may just not like them because they find their music dull, uninspired, and otherwise not enjoyable?

Look at the rubbish you're talking here, not all death metal is about human dismemberment, the brutal death imagery is only one part of a whole music style. By the same token not all black metal songs are about worshipping Satan (if you look closer than going to darklyrics.com and reading Dimmu Borgir lyrics). The kind of half baked stereotypes you're rolling out here are exactly what crybaby Trivium fanboys cite in their delusions of persecution.

Trivium are not Kevin Bacon fighting for the right to dance in a town full of uptight conservatives who fear change and the exuberance of youth unbound, there is no social upheaval or rebellion in what they do. They simply write songs that will appeal to their audience. People are going to like them or hate them for any number of reasons, don't play the martyr over it, they are not above being disliked and no band is.

Isn't it at all possible that people may just not like them because they find their music dull, uninspired, and otherwise not enjoyable?

Look at the rubbish you're talking here, not all death metal is about human dismemberment, the brutal death imagery is only one part of a whole music style. By the same token not all black metal songs are about worshipping Satan (if you look closer than going to darklyrics.com and reading Dimmu Borgir lyrics). The kind of half baked stereotypes you're rolling out here are exactly what crybaby Trivium fanboys cite in their delusions of persecution.

Trivium are not Kevin Bacon fighting for the right to dance in a town full of uptight conservatives who fear change and the exuberance of youth unbound, there is no social upheaval or rebellion in what they do. They simply write songs that will appeal to their audience. People are going to like them or hate them for any number of reasons, don't play the martyr over it, they are not above being disliked and no band is.

you did nothing more than find a reason to come off as a rude asshole. good job man

classifying a stereo type that you believe is not true to only cluster what you to believe is a stereotype is hypocrisy at its finest, but maybe there are a group of people that don't want to hear extremist genres but like metal and want something that is heavy, don't give a shit about culture OR counterculture, but just listen to music for the fuck sake of music. Funny thing is, from all the stereotypes slung around are portraying Trivium fans as whinny emos, and in reality, most Trivium fans are your average joes who listen to other types of music other than just metal and who listen to other types of metal, dress with individuality and don't try to fit any part of a scene, of course there are a few scene kids who like trivium but I just love how the haters love to say all trivium fans are whinny emos and at the same time turn around to fit other stereotypes they believe are superior.

Its stupid, listen to music for music, not to fit a fucking culture, counterculture or stereotype, grow up! If you like the music, listen to it, if you don't and you can't say anything nice, then shut the fuck up. Fuck the sterotypes of music, in the metal world we should all be brothers not fighting over imaginary line drawn out by what separate band A from band B.

To also add, I showed my drummer this song, who hates trivium, without telling him is was them, more than half of the song he is saying it sounds pretty brutal, drumming along with it, and when the song is close to getting done, realizes its Trivium and starts bitching about how I need to turn it off. So it doesn't matter how good the music is, if it has Triviums name on it, it will always be shit.

you did nothing more than find a reason to come off as a rude asshole. good job man

classifying a stereo type that you believe is not true to only cluster what you to believe is a stereotype is hypocrisy at its finest[1], but maybe there are a group of people that don't want to hear extremist genres but like metal and want something that is heavy, don't give a shit about culture OR counterculture, but just listen to music for the fuck sake of music. Funny thing is, from all the stereotypes slung around are portraying Trivium fans as whinny emos, and in reality, most Trivium fans are your average joes who listen to other types of music other than just metal and who listen to other types of metal, dress with individuality and don't try to fit any part of a scene, of course there are a few scene kids who like trivium but I just love how the haters love to say all trivium fans are whinny emos and at the same time turn around to fit other stereotypes they believe are superior.[2]

Its stupid, listen to music for music, not to fit a fucking culture, counterculture or stereotype, grow up! If you like the music, listen to it, if you don't and you can't say anything nice, then shut the fuck up. Fuck the sterotypes of music, in the metal world we should all be brothers not fighting over imaginary line drawn out by what separate band A from band B. [3]

To also add, I showed my drummer this song, who hates trivium, without telling him is was them, more than half of the song he is saying it sounds pretty brutal, drumming along with it, and when the song is close to getting done, realizes its Trivium and starts bitching about how I need to turn it off. So it doesn't matter how good the music is, if it has Triviums name on it, it will always be shit.[4]

1. So is complaining about people stereotyping Trivium fans then saying that all death metal is about murder and all black metal is about Satan. Not that I once said all Trivium fans were whiny emos or anything close to that. From my experience, all I see Trivium fanboys (note that I use that term in ernest, not to describe fans but rather the phenomenon of fanboys) doing on the net is whining about "haters" even if said instigators are not present. So the point behind that was that someone is always going to hate something you like, for whatever reason whether it be legitimate or not.

2. Didn't do this, at all.

3. I do listen to music for music because I'm not 14. At the same time I also don't listen to music for music. For someone decrying the propagation of stereotypes you seem to be applying several to me, none of which fit. I'm not as transparent as you seem to think.

4. Again, stop making a pariah out of yourself. It's just music, not a developing religion being smeared by established churches that don't understand.

The problem with Trivium is that they have NOTHING to say.

They still pump out some cool riffs and matt heafy has a good voice, but still, nothing whatsoever to say

I don't think that bands have to have something to say, because music should speak for itself, without the help of any image or new revolution whatever BS.
What should they/every band have to say, if I may ask?

I don't think that bands have to have something to say, because music should speak for itself, without the help of any image or new revolution whatever BS.
What should they/every band have to say, if I may ask?

I feel your misunderstanding the phrase "the music should speak for itself". Music is a form of communication, you've got to have something to communicate.

You ask that question like you expect me to tell bands what they should have to say :zombie:

Examples of bands that have/had something to say: Lamb of God, Pantera, Down, The Sex Pistols, most black metal The Rolling Stones, SYL (city and alien more so than the other albums), NIN, Megadeth, Nirvana, Rage against the Machine etc.....
Hell, even The Offspring have something to say!

Other bands get into a persona, for example slayer, amon amarth, Metallica (to some extent, other times it's more personal, sometimes it's just random bullshit!), a lot of death metal bands

That's all cool, it provides emotional performances, all the way across the spectrum from gaahl wanting to kill the jews and the christians to trent reznor slipping into a heroin induced coma.