New VNV Nation

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
I'm a huge VNV Nation fan; has anyone heard the new album? I think this is one of the greatest Electronic bands ever, mainly because the lyrics deal with very complex topics (especially of society); this, combined with the brilliant musical composition, make for a truly unique band.

PS: I would really like to thank our moderator for introducing me to this band some years ago. Grazie :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
A friends' (Erik Erna's quote):

"Funny anecdote here, actually. I was wearing a Dark Tranquillity shirt when I went to the VNV show, right? Ronan keeps pointing at me. He tells me that the bus driver dropped DT off at the airport and picked VNV up. The bus driver had a copy of the DT DVD, and plays it for VNV Nation on the tour bus. "Those guys are insane...incredible actually" was a non-verbatim quote from Ronan to me."

Edit 01:

My I-just-thought-of-this wet dream: A DT and VNV tour. * . *

*fap fap faaaap*

That was pretty good. A bit pop, but dark and rich at the same time. Reminds me of a lot of the classic 70s/80s pop/dance songs.

Only pretty good? It's brilliant! ;)

I totally love VNV, best electronic music out there. It's quite dark, most of the songs are quite anarchistic. This song reminds me of Ace of Base a lot (band that DT should cover, along with Depeche).

That song is indeed quite poppy (they're synth/future pop), but listen to this one too; it's quite different:

Speaking of Ace of Bass: did you know they are also from Gothenburg? I grew up listening to Ace of Bass, and I have to wonder if there isn't something between that and the...thing... that happened to me when I listened to In Flames Gyroscope for the first time.

Over time, I have observed a sense of melodic ambition from Scandinavian musicians. America really brings the brutality in metal, but it was Swedes who invented melodic death. Abba and Ace of Bass were both notoriously melodic pop groups. Fuck, even Sibelius and Grieg stand out among their piers. Listen to this shit at 1:30; fuck. Listen to the whole thing, but that moment right there, it's like it lifts you up and brings you slowly and powerfully back to the ground.

Speaking of Ace of Bass: did you know they are also from Gothenburg? I grew up listening to Ace of Bass, and I have to wonder if there isn't something between that and the...thing... that happened to me when I listened to In Flames Gyroscope for the first time.

Over time, I have observed a sense of melodic ambition from Scandinavian musicians. America really brings the brutality in metal, but it was Swedes who invented melodic death. Abba and Ace of Bass were both notoriously melodic pop groups. Fuck, even Sibelius and Grieg stand out among their piers. Listen to this shit at 1:30; fuck. Listen to the whole thing, but that moment right there, it's like it lifts you up and brings you slowly and powerfully back to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J05oDDWm_-0

:lol: bass. Great song, thanks for posting.

Yup I knew they're also from Göteborg and I still hope DT will someday cover »The Sign« (I saw the sign, and it opened up my mind… tu tu ru ru ru ru).
Indeed, I prefer Swedish/Scandinavian music to pretty much anything (with the exception of UK); I think the innate ability Swedes have to create very melodic and moving yet also strong and angry music is almost unparalleled in the world (I can only think of Muse right now).
I've been listening to a lot of Kent today:

När du grät på festerna
Var jag aldrig bjuden in
Du föll isär inför gästerna
Jag byggde upp dig bit för bit, igen
Bit för bit, igen
Bit för bit, igen​

Just like you said in your post, listen to the whole song, but pay special attention to ca. 2:49; I can't believe how beautifully it builds up, it's just mesmerising, makes my body float and sends shivers down my spine.

I wonder if all this is due to ABBA?

Base? Ace of Base doesn't even make sense; Ace of Bass does. I see that you are correct, but that doesn't make any fucking sense. Goddamn foreigners.

It can't all be due to ABBA; the classical composers that I mentioned are a century older. Beyond the classical and the modern pop and metal, it's probably also important to remember the folk. Wasn't Jesper Stromblad's father a folk musician? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

EDIT: Also, because everyone loves German Industrial, here's this:

Base? Ace of Base doesn't even make sense; Ace of Bass does. I see that you are correct, but that doesn't make any fucking sense. Goddamn foreigners.

It can't all be due to ABBA; the classical composers that I mentioned are a century older. Beyond the classical and the modern pop and metal, it's probably also important to remember the folk. Wasn't Jesper Stromblad's father a folk musician? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

EDIT: Also, because everyone loves German Industrial, here's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4uRo7RVL8

Oh you thought it was bass? Funny :lol:.

Yeah it's definitely not all due to ABBA; Edward is obviously a huge and bigger influence.

WOW!

I normally hate electronic music, mostly because its not good, but this is great stuff!!! Thanks Defiance!!!

If you haven't done so yet, check out Japanese band "Blood Stain Child", they sorta sound like a mix of In Flames and electronics, nothing amazing but sometimes quite enjoyable.

WOW!

I normally hate electronic music, mostly because it's not good, but this is great stuff!!! Thanks Defiance!!!

If you haven't done so yet, check out Japanese band "Blood Stain Child", they sorta sound like a mix of In Flames and electronics, nothing amazing but sometimes quite enjoyable.

(Oh Cthulhu, I've become rahvin.)

Yeah VNV Nation is great; I especially like it due to the themes of anarchism/rebellion that they deal with.
Check out Laibach too.

Hmm, I'm actually leaning towards their darker moments such as "Forsaken" or "Rubicon". Ironically when I played these songs for a friend of mine, who is heavy into techno and trance, he replied - "Did you get these songs out of a Key-Generator?"

Hmm, I'm actually leaning towards their darker moments such as "Forsaken" or "Rubicon". Ironically when I played these songs for a friend of mine, who is heavy into techno and trance, he replied - "Did you get these songs out of a Key-Generator?"

I'm not surprised, he/she probably thinks that he knows a lot about techno/trance and feels threatened by a person that normally likes metal but now listens to electronic. Or maybe it's just too different because VNV Nation is electro/future pop.

I think VNV Nation is pretty good, but I don't own any of their albums. I think that generally their albums contain too many "fillers". Saw them live a few years ago at a free festival in Rotterdam called Baroeg Open Air. They were great!!

Defiance, if you like VNV Nation, I assume you've also heard of Covenant? The Swedish Covenant that is, not the Norwegian black metal band who renamed to The Kovenant. They're in the same vein as VNV Nation, "EBM future pop" or whatever they call it. Personally I think they're far better! Their new cd, Modern Ruin, is definitely one of my favorite albums released this year so far.