New VOLBEAT video for 16 Dollars

This band writes good catchy stuff.
To be honest, I am actually quite amazed how many metal fans like this band. This is straight up Social Distortion, Rev Horton Heat, Dropkick Murphys, etc style punk n roll.....

Don't get me wrong, I love punk rock as well, just interesting how this band seems to be fitting into the metal crowd.

This band writes good catchy stuff.
To be honest, I am actually quite amazed how many metal fans like this band. This is straight up Social Distortion, Rev Horton Heat, Dropkick Murphys, etc style punk n roll.....

Don't get me wrong, I love punk rock as well, just interesting how this band seems to be fitting into the metal crowd.

Well, they do have a pretty heavy sound. For every catchy song, they've got another that just beats you into submission.

Yeah, I am certainly NOT hating in any way.
Just intersting how Volbeat have broken through with the metal crowd when there are many like them who haven't.

Marketing is king I suppose.

They have a lot of heavy riffing that's very metal in their music. I find it interesting how so many people (not just you, Jason) say Volbeat isn't a metal band, but Within Temptation is. To my ears, there's as just as much "metal" in Volbeat's music - if not more.

Plus, Volbeat was already appealing to metal fans before the marketing strategies as far as I know (I could be wrong, however).

Yeah, I am certainly NOT hating in any way.
Just intersting how Volbeat have broken through with the metal crowd when there are many like them who haven't.

Marketing is king I suppose.

That's part of it. I know Volbeat gets pretty heavy rotation on SiriusXM's metal channel.

I swear evertime I see a Harvester post about this band, I have visions of some bizarre Melodic Meta/Bluegrass Fusion band playing at Neyland before hordes of UT fans, decked out in a checkerboard white/orange motif.

They have a lot of heavy riffing that's very metal in their music. I find it interesting how so many people (not just you, Jason) say Volbeat isn't a metal band, but Within Temptation is. To my ears, there's as just as much "metal" in Volbeat's music - if not more.

Plus, Volbeat was already appealing to metal fans before the marketing strategies as far as I know (I could be wrong, however).

I guess it all depends on what someone's definition is of the "requirements for being a metal band"

Let me ask you this. Would it impact your enjoyment of the band if the band themselves said, "Hey, for whatever reason, people think of us as a metal band, but we are not a metal band"

As I said, don't get me wrong. I think this band has a really good and fun punk n roll sound. I just have trouble classifying this band as metal, based on everything from look, sound, lyrical content, and image.

Within Temptation has most of those elements, though I agree on a very low degree of "heaviness"

I know this is going to turn into a "Jasonic hates Volbeat" discussion, which is totally NOT the point whatsover. We can place many bands in this discussion. It's just an observation from someone who is very familiar with bands of similar sound.

I guess it all depends on what someone's definition is of the "requirements for being a metal band"

Let me ask you this. Would it impact your enjoyment of the band if the band themselves said, "Hey, for whatever reason, people think of us as a metal band, but we are not a metal band"

As I said, don't get me wrong. I think this band has a really good and fun punk n roll sound. I just have trouble classifying this band as metal, based on everything from look, sound, lyrical content, and image.

Within Temptation has most of those elements, though I agree on a very low degree of "heaviness"

I know this is going to turn into a "Jasonic hates Volbeat" discussion, which is totally NOT the point whatsover. We can place many bands in this discussion. It's just an observation from someone who is very familiar with bands of similar sound.

I don't know (or care) about "requirements." Punk and rockabilly are huge components of their sound, but so is straight-up heavy metal. They could claim to be metal or claim the opposite and it wouldn't change things. At some point you just know metal when you hear it, and to me Volbeat definitely qualifies.

Have you heard a full Volbeat album? I'm guessing not, or we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

If they only had songs like "16 Dollars", I would not class them as a metal band. But when you have songs like Wild Rover Of Hell, Who They Are, 7 Shots and the likes, you can surely be labeled as a metal band.

I can't wait to see Volbeat live for the first time on April 26!!

No, admittingly I have not heard a full album.
I have heard a handful of tracks.
I have no issues or interest in what the heck they are classified.
The point was simply that there are plenty of these bands who I think have the same heaviness which have never been marketed in such a way.

Obviously, the mainstream's openess to metal these past 10 years has changed things, as opposed to many influencers for Volbeat who arose in the 80's and 90's, when punk was getting more mainstream attention in the US.

No need for getting defensive. Just my observation.

If they only had songs like "16 Dollars", I would not class them as a metal band. But when you have songs like Wild Rover Of Hell, Who They Are, 7 Shots and the likes, you can surely be labeled as a metal band.

Based on the above, I checked out Wild Rover of Hell.
Interesting. Almost a completely different sounding band.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's true. Although it's funny how "my" metal is different than "your" metal, which is also different than "their" metal. :lol:

Jasonic said:

Personally, not me. I like a lot of stuff that appeals to some metal heads but aren't necessarily metal bands. Some don't even have metal influences or parts of the music that "sounds like metal." Case in point? This morning's music rotation has from Therion, to Dropkick Murphys, to Muse.

Jasonic said:

Oh, not at all bro. I agree with you that they have a punk n roll sound, but I also think they have metal influences in their music. The little bit after the first chorus on Sad Man's Tongue is a prime example of a kick-ass, balls-to-the-walls, metal-assault section. I myself, never considered Volbeat a "metal" band, per-se.

Jasonic said:

Not if it depends on me, it won't. I guarantee that in 5 or 6 posts, you and your damn group will hijack this thread and start talking about deep-dish pizza.