New VOLBEAT video for 16 Dollars

you and your damn group will hijack this thread and start talking about deep-dish pizza.

Mmmmmm....I have a deep dish GINO'S EAST in my freezer right now! :)

Yeah, it's all good. I love a wide variety of music outside of metal as well.

I think it's cool that Volbeat incorporates all their influences.

It will be interesting to see long term if they can bridge all the genres.

I would think they would do as well on a tour with Motorhead, as Dropkick Murphys, for example.

Based on the above, I checked out Wild Rover of Hell.
Interesting. Almost a completely different sounding band.

Therein lies the greatness ... they have a very wide crossover appeal. They can appeal to fans of rockabilly, punk, and metal .. all within the same song on occasions.

They are fun live ... you should come check them out at the HOB on 3/27/11.

Britt

Yeah, I am certainly NOT hating in any way.
Just intersting how Volbeat have broken through with the metal crowd when there are many like them who haven't.

Marketing is king I suppose.

Well, there is a little bit of Metallica in their sound I think. As for how they're breaking through, yeah marketing definitely helps. The tour they did with Metallica did a lot, but more importantly I think is the fact that Revolver has been pushing these guys for the last couple of years. But yeah, I'd agree there is more punk than metal in their sound.

If you were really skilled, Jason, you'd go to Volbeat and then head over to the Agalloch show afterwards. I know a couple of people that are looking into that idea a bit.

Britt

No, it would be hitting up Agalloch after seeing Saint Vitus, since Saint Vitus is playing before Helmet.

It's a Sunday night which could mean opting to stay at home either way. Ha!

On the topic of Volbeat being a "metal band" or a "punk rock band"...I've been discussing this matter with people for ages now! When I first heard Volbeat in 2006, I considered them a "Heavy punk rock band" and they're on Mascot, a punk rock label...it doesnt matter since they appeal to both, it just really, really, really, bugs me when people who claim to "HATE" punk rock (and for that matter, hate it without ever listening to it) wind up loving Volbeat but refuse to listen to Social Distortion (however, Social D's last 2 albums have been pure garbage IMO). Thats why I was so shocked at them being announced for PP that year- I thought "whats next? Social Distortion?" Fuck, the singer of Volbeat has a Social Distortion logo tattooed on his fucking forearm for fuck's sake!