New Wolf and Norther albums available only as MP3s in the US.

Justin G

Jul 28, 2007
Northern VA
www.facebook.com
From bravewords.com

Century Media has announced that the forthcoming WOLF platter, Legions Of Bastards - due out April 19th - will be released in North America only as a digital download, meaning there WILL NOT be any physical CDs produced for the market. The upcoming album from Finnish metallers NORTHER Circle Regenerated, in stores the same day, will also be available solely via digital downloads.

Physical CDs of both albums will be issued in Europe, diehard fans are advised to seek out the imports.

Obviously it's not terribly hard to pick up a European import, but the idea that this is happening on a metal label is unsettling. I always figured metal was the genre that would continue to embrace the physical product. Maybe Wolf and Norther are just lousy sellers in the US.

Lame. Assuming Wolf keeps their unbroken (though tarnished) winning streak intact, it will be another import CD for me. It sucks to be old.
smile.gif

From bravewords.com

Century Media has announced that the forthcoming WOLF platter, Legions Of Bastards - due out April 19th - will be released in North America only as a digital download, meaning there WILL NOT be any physical CDs produced for the market. The upcoming album from Finnish metallers NORTHER Circle Regenerated, in stores the same day, will also be available solely via digital downloads.

Physical CDs of both albums will be issued in Europe, diehard fans are advised to seek out the imports.

Obviously it's not terribly hard to pick up a European import, but the idea that this is happening on a metal label is unsettling. I always figured metal was the genre that would continue to embrace the physical product. Maybe Wolf and Norther are just lousy sellers in the US.

I think unsettling is an understatement. I have feared this day will come for a while... Not sure if I should support Wolf by buying the Euro version or protest by not buying anything...

What's a good Wolf album to start with? They're one of those bands that's always been on my radar but I've passed over time and time again.

I personally dont care for either of those bands but at the whole death of a physical copy idea all i have to say is BOO! "Long Live the liner notes and the smell of plastic!"

Evil Star indeed is MANDATORY Wolf. Perfect starting point.

Yes, while it does suck, it does make sense.
I mean most CD purchasing these days is done online anyhow.
Therefore, I can understand why a label would only produce and distribute a CD for territories where physical CDs are highest.

I think ROADRUNNER in the US did the same thing for the new GRAND MAGUS.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't actually see this as a completely bad thing, but It'd be nice if they at the very least did a limited run of a special edition disc. I'm more inclined to go for those because i'm a complete whore of that sort of shit.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't actually see this as a completely bad thing, but It'd be nice if they at the very least did a limited run of a special edition disc. I'm more inclined to go for those because i'm a complete whore of that sort of shit.

that is true....but those special edition disc would be grabbed up and put on ebay....then re-starting that whole ethics thread here again.

Such is the fate of the free market, though I don't suspect that a special/limited edition wolf CD would quite command the price of a band more popular in the states. I wouldn't pay the aftermarket upcharge because i'm not -that- hellbent on collecting, and I've gotten to where I end up buying a lot of digital releases over physical CD releases because the album art/liner notes just don't seem that interesting. I'd rip it and put the cd/jewel case on a shelf and never touch it again, fancy shit though? That stays out and gets touched a lot which I know deceases the sell value but I don't intend on selling any of the special shit I've bought.

But I also buy t-shirts n' shit all the time, so i'm at least not a total whore.

The only Wolf album I have is the Black flame and I love it. How does that stack up to their other releases?

All the Wolf disc are solid....they do fall into that hole of all their disc pretty much sound the same. But all of them are good. Thier last one was really good....cant remember the name at this moment. They are such an over looked band.

From bravewords.com

Well that sucks. Like you said, the fact that a metal label is doing this is scary and I'm afraid of things to come. Hopefully, this won't be a trend though. However, it typically is easy to get European imports on stuff and I'm sure it will be for at least Wolf. I don't know anything about the other band actually.

I think unsettling is an understatement. I have feared this day will come for a while... Not sure if I should support Wolf by buying the Euro version or protest by not buying anything...

Seriously? If you like the band, support the band. It's not like it's their decision to do this.

I wouldn't have a problem if they did this. It also possibly would be a way for the label to monitor how successful said band is. If they do this limited run and it sells out pretty quick, they may on certain artists decide then to release the disc to the market.

Well that sucks. Like you said, the fact that a metal label is doing this is scary and I'm afraid of things to come. Hopefully, this won't be a trend though. However, it typically is easy to get European imports on stuff and I'm sure it will be for at least Wolf. I don't know anything about the other band actually.

Also I am sure it is tons cheaper since they dont have to press any CD's and shipping is zero. I can see this happening more and more now since most people are downloading now. Look at the Grand Magus disc last year and I want to say there was another too but I could be wrong. I think this is a trend that is going to start being more and more frequent.

I'm waiting for the vinyl release of these albums! :lol: (Yeah, I'm old!)

Actually I do own the last two Firewind albums in vinyl, both purchased in 2010.

I wonder if this will become a trend for not only CM but other "record" companies as time goes on.

I subscribe to eMusic and get MP3s from their website. But it's still not the same as having the CD booklet to look at.

I guess I'm old school - I still like a physical tangible medium to hold on to, though most of the time these days I just use the CD as the master for ripping MP3s for my iPod.

The day that they stop producing CD's (or physical media) is the day that I will stop buying music. I do not mean that literally, but currently I buy 50-100 Cd's per year, and without physical media that will probably go down to a handful of titles (3-5 per year). I do not mean that as a protest, and I would not expect anything to really change because of it. I am just not interested, and would chose to spend my money in something else. I have thousands of Cd's/Albums to listen to so is not like I will not be listening to music anymore. I also think that what Helloween did in their last album ("for the lyrics visit the band's website") is pretty crappy. You printed a booklet, include the damn lyrics!

The day that they stop producing CD's (or physical media) is the day that I will stop buying music. I do not mean that literally, but currently I buy 50-100 Cd's per year, and without physical media that will probably go down to a handful of titles (3-5 per year). I do not mean that as a protest, and I would not expect anything to really change because of it. I am just not interested, and would chose to spend my money in something else. I have thousands of Cd's/Albums to listen to so is not like I will not be listening to music anymore. I also think that what Helloween did in their last album ("for the lyrics visit the band's website") is pretty crappy. You printed a booklet, include the damn lyrics!

Don't worry dude...even vinyl and cassettes are still alive and well. I've bought only one CD over the past four years and that's just because it wasn't available on any other format. Everything else has been a different physical medium. It won't be going anywhere for a looooooong time.