New Wolf and Norther albums available only as MP3s in the US.

You guys are seriously reading into this way too much. Roadrunner did this with Grand Magus and Baptized in Blood, CM already did it with that band The Devil Sold His Soul. Why should they spend the thousands of dollars it costs to print CDs and distribute them just for it not to sell and they lose money and have to drop BOTH bands? So instead, they put it out digitally so FANS of the band can LEGALLY buy the music and everyone is happy.

I understand some of you are avid fans of physical. For sure, it must be a bummer, but this isn't some revelatory new scheme that labels are going to do for the future of recorded music -- at least not yet. It's just cost-effective and fair to the band because nobody would buy it over here otherwise. Sure, import the Euro version if you want the physical copy that much. I don't honestly think it matters to the label since there are no printing or distro costs to doing digital only. Not like they're LOSING money on it, which they would be doing if they were printing it physically knowing it wouldn't sell.

I understand some of you are avid fans of physical. For sure, it must be a bummer, but this isn't some revelatory new scheme that labels are going to do for the future of recorded music -- at least not yet. It's just cost-effective and fair to the band because nobody would buy it over here otherwise. Sure, import the Euro version if you want the physical copy that much. I don't honestly think it matters to the label since there are no printing or distro costs to doing digital only. Not like they're LOSING money on it, which they would be doing if they were printing it physically knowing it wouldn't sell.[/QUOTE]

Well, that makes sense to me. And the option of buying the import is still there. Also thanks dccowboy you give me hope for the future.

just not buying it isnt going to prove anything. Not buying it and sending a letter to the label explaining why would get more done.

No it wouldn't. Writing a letter would just make you look like a douchebag. They're not putting it out on digital for lulz, they're doing it because not enough people will buy the physical version to justify doing it and if they were to do it physically, both Wolf and Norther would probably have to be dropped to $$ losses.

Has any label released the statistics on legal download sales VS physical product sales for a specific release?

As much as more underground fans as ourselves like bands like WOLF and GRAND MAGUS, for example, I doubt they sell anywhere near the amount of physical product, as say Blind Guardian or Iced Earth.

Marketing an exclusive release for the band online will probably generate more sales than the CD sitting on a shelf, in the long run, for more of an up and coming band as WOLF.

They're not putting it out on digital for lulz, they're doing it because not enough people will buy the physical version to justify doing it and if they were to do it physically, both Wolf and Norther would probably have to be dropped to $$ losses.

I certainly agree 100% on this one, which was the reasoning for my question above if any label has released any stats on this....

Has any label released the statistics on legal download sales VS physical product sales for a specific release?

As much as more underground fans as ourselves like bands like WOLF and GRAND MAGUS, for example, I doubt they sell anywhere near the amount of physical product, as say Blind Guardian or Iced Earth.

Marketing an exclusive release for the band online will probably generate more sales than the CD sitting on a shelf, in the long run, for more of an up and coming band as WOLF.

Wolf are far from an up and coming band Jason...they have been around for a while. I wouldnt even call them new to the states since they have had enough of their older stuff released here aleady. Jeez....

No it wouldn't. Writing a letter would just make you look like a douchebag. They're not putting it out on digital for lulz, they're doing it because not enough people will buy the physical version to justify doing it and if they were to do it physically, both Wolf and Norther would probably have to be dropped to $$ losses.

It will actually do more than not just buying it. Letting someone know the reason they are not buying it gets more done than not. You would be shocked with how many businesses react to written letters of complaint. One would not change anything but lots more may cause them to think a new strategy and do something like a limited pressing. Or like what the movie studios are doing now with DVD's. Lots of the classics that would not sell well but have a small fanbase are not getting press on demand through Amazon and the studios themselves. Basically it is a movie only disc but not sold in stores. I think record labels should also go this route with even older albums. I know Metal Blade is doing digital only for the second Liege Lord disc. They should also do a limited run on demand as well for those who dont want to just have a download.

Well that sucks. Like you said, the fact that a metal label is doing this is scary and I'm afraid of things to come. Hopefully, this won't be a trend though. However, it typically is easy to get European imports on stuff and I'm sure it will be for at least Wolf. I don't know anything about the other band actually.

Nother's singer also sings in Ensiferum.

I certainly agree 100% on this one, which was the reasoning for my question above if any label has released any stats on this....

It's all about keeping cost-effective so that both the band and the label don't lose money. Not only does the label have to worry about printing, shipping, etc costs with physical, but stores will force the label to buy it back if it doesn't sell after a certain period of time. Plus, Caroline, their distributor, could just as easily have been like "no, we're not putting these out because nobody buys these bands." They would lose money too. Doing it digital means legally getting the music out to the people who want to buy it. I don't get why a few people are crying about it and protesting. Would they rather see the bands dropped from their labels or not putting out new music at all? lol

Wolf are far from an up and coming band Jason...they have been around for a while. I wouldnt even call them new to the states since they have had enough of their older stuff released here aleady. Jeez....

No shit sherlock, I have been listening to WOLF as long as you have, if not longer than you have actually if you recall, though you won't admit it since you think you were every band's first listener.... LOL....

Anyhow, compared to the popularity of bands like BG and IE, in both tours and CD sales HERE onshore which is what we are taking about, WOLF are new to the scene, which was the point.

It will actually do more than not just buying it. Letting someone know the reason they are not buying it gets more done than not. You would be shocked with how many businesses react to written letters of complaint. One would not change anything but lots more may cause them to think a new strategy and do something like a limited pressing. Or like what the movie studios are doing now with DVD's. Lots of the classics that would not sell well but have a small fanbase are not getting press on demand through Amazon and the studios themselves. Basically it is a movie only disc but not sold in stores. I think record labels should also go this route with even older albums. I know Metal Blade is doing digital only for the second Liege Lord disc. They should also do a limited run on demand as well for those who dont want to just have a download.

While I love the idea of limited runs and think they are really classy affairs, let's be real. They do not make anyone much money. I mentioned that a bunch of times in my Ebay Ethics thread.

No shit sherlock, I have been listening to WOLF as long as you have, if not longer than you have actually if you recall, though you won't admit it since you think you were every band's first listener.... LOL....

Anyhow, compared to the popularity of bands like BG and IE, in both tours and CD sales HERE onshore which is what we are taking about, WOLF are new to the scene, which was the point.

hahahahaha busted Jason...I picked up Wolfs second disc at the first Milwaukee Metalfest we were at from the End Records table. I recall you even on the ride home cracking on the cover....it wasnt until years later when you got into them.
See....arent you glad you have a freind that remembers ever little detail.

It's all about keeping cost-effective so that both the band and the label don't lose money. Not only does the label have to worry about printing, shipping, etc costs with physical, but stores will force the label to buy it back if it doesn't sell after a certain period of time. Plus, Caroline, their distributor, could just as easily have been like "no, we're not putting these out because nobody buys these bands." They would lose money too. Doing it digital means legally getting the music out to the people who want to buy it. I don't get why a few people are crying about it and protesting. Would they rather see the bands dropped from their labels or not putting out new music at all? lol

Yep, exactly.
I love the physical product as well, but the labels aren't going to keep producing physical product that doesn't sell.

Furthermore, I think most of us can agree that there is a lot more online ordering of physical product for metal as opposed to brick and mortar sales. Therefore, why even bother with the physical distribution channel anymore? Why pay a distributor? It just doesn't make sense anymore.

I am not saying that I personally like it, but people who are crying that the physical media is dying just have to face facts.......

How many brick and mortar stores dedicated 100% to CDs even exist anymore? Virgin is gone..... Tower is gone..... Not sure about independents, but VERY few if any in the Chicagoland area....

The amount of metal I see at Best Buy has started to dwindle. I haven't seen a new THE END RECORDS release there in a couple years. Very select metal blade stuff, like Amon Amarth will pop up. The Century Media / Nuc Blast stuff is hit or miss too. Obviously the distributors aren't going to pick up titles from bands or labels that aren't selling in the stores.

While I love the idea of limited runs and think they are really classy affairs, let's be real. They do not make anyone much money. I mentioned that a bunch of times in my Ebay Ethics thread.

yeah...but they do sell lots more than they thought on the On Demand disc from the studios of older films. But again, if those were pressed for wide distribution they would be dust collectors on shelves and the studios would be losing money left and right on them. I think labels should try it out. Ones with bigger back catlogs would do good I think.

I got some Burn on Demand Demon disc from Amazon and they are great. Big booklet and everything.

hahahahaha busted Jason...I picked up Wolfs second disc at the first Milwaukee Metalfest we were at from the End Records table. I recall you even on the ride home cracking on the cover....it wasnt until years later when you got into them.
See....arent you glad you have a freind that remembers ever little detail.

YEARS later? I got EVIL STAR when it came out, so I guess that was 2004.
Sorry, I didn't recall every CD purchase you made one weekend 9 years ago!
The point was simply that I obviously know WOLF's history and you were implying that I didn't.

From a retail perspective, if WOLF's new CD charted, it would be considered a release by a NEW band. And while you might say ,"Who cares about mainstream charts" that is the type of thing that will keep a band's release on the shelves.

That is why the new ANVIL (on THE END) will end up on the shelf at Best Buy (as the re-release of their last album charted), but you may not see the new NOVEMBERS DOOM or HELLOWEEN there.