You shouldn't start with Ulver, you should start with Arcturus as Arcturus is a bit easier to digest at first. I would suggest you proceed with Arcturus + Ulver albums in this order:

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Ulver - Bergatt
Ulver - Kveldssanger (happy bitches?)
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal (now you have the more metal related ones out of your system, get onto the real meat)
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Ulver - Themes from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell
Ulver - Metamorphasis
Ulver - Perdition City
Arcturus and the Deception Circus - Disguised Masters
Ulver - the rest of their post PC discography

If you want, throw in the first couple Borknagar albums into the metal section, as they are some of Garm's best metal work.

Well I am a fan of garm and this is the order I got the albums.
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Ulver - Themes and Perdition City, and Arcturus - Aspera Heims Simfonia all at the same time
Ulver - Silencing the Singing and Metamorphosis at the same time
Borknagar self titled.
Ulver - Kveldssanger
Ulver - Bergtatt and Lyckantropen at the same time
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (just because it was unavailable for so long)
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
I still don't have Silence Teaches you How to Sing or any other Borknagar albums.
I definately should have got Bergtatt way earlier but that's it.

Disguised Masters is a couple of remixes on tracks from La Masquerade Infernale, all done by Arcturus. Not sure about what "the deception circus" means though.
It's even more exprimential than the original and the quality and influences of the songs varies a lot.

There are also one new song called "Deception Genesis", which could have fit on "Maquerade", and a re-recorded version av "Du Nordavind" which sounds pretty much like the one on "Aspera..." but with a small touch of electronic metal. Not too much though.

The remixes are pretty far from the original so don't expect another "Masquerade"

Heres the order i got the albums, starting years ago...and it worked fine for me

Bergtatt
Kveldsanger
Nattens Madrigal
Perdition City
Metamophosis
William Blake's
Silence EPs
etc. as they came out

as for Arcturus...id get aspera Heims first. Im really not a big fan of sham mirrors or Masquerade infernal to be honest. a bit too fruity for my taste.

AND GET THE BORKNAGAR SELF TITLED ALBUM NOW!

:loco: