Newer-era Samael

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
Though it isn't the most popular around these parts, I always enjoyed post-Ceremony Samael, especially Passage and the Exodus EP. Eternal was ok and Reign of Light sucked, both were too Rammsteinish. So I was surprised to hear that their new album might be somewhat of a return to their glory days, spawning the impetus for this thread's conception. How do you think their new era compares with their earlier stuff?

I can't go a day without hearing at least one song off of Eternal on my iPod. The album is so incredibly unique and it just pulls you into its spacey atmosphere.

You could call me the biggest Samael fan on this board because I enjoy pretty much all of their material. I don't have Reign of Light but the song "Telepath" is cool. Neither do I own Era One but that's a purely electronica album. I do look forward to the new album though.

that blood/ceremony era was amazing, somewhere between black and industrial, just amazing clean songs. I liked the more guitar-based industrial they went on to too, and I still like their less guitar-based industrial of the new era. I prefer the old stuff, but I still enjoy everything they make, so I can't really say how it compares but 'I prefer this era in their development'

"Inch'Allah" and "Together" hooked me really.

Solar Soul is definitely one of the albums I'm most antipating this year.

I can't go a day without hearing at least one song off of Eternal on my iPod. The album is so incredibly unique and it just pulls you into its spacey atmosphere.

You could call me the biggest Samael fan on this board because I enjoy pretty much all of their material. I don't have Reign of Light but the song "Telepath" is cool. Neither do I own Era One but that's a purely electronica album. I do look forward to the new album though.

you should definitely check out "On Earth" (love the hook so much, lame lyrics but I can't help but sing along), "Oriental Dawn", and "Inch'Allah" (of which there is also an instrumental) off the Reign of Light album. "Door Of Celestial Peace" aint bad either, but it's nowhere near as great as those first three, which I hold as among their best post-Ceremony songs

I completely agree with you. Eternal gets ragged on so much by people but it really is an amazing and unique album. I love everything from Blood Ritual up to Eternal (Worship Him was slightly too boring for my tastes). Reign of Light was okay I think, but not amazing. Era One / Lesson in Magic was very disappointing though. That could have stayed unreleased as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as newer era Samael goes, Exodus, Passage and Eternal are all great albums I think.

Era One / Lesson in Magic was very disappointing though. That could have stayed unreleased as far as I'm concerned.

yea, it's not what you'd have expected from em really, but it's not that bad if you take it out of context (better than, IMO, ambient Burzum (NOISE) compared to their old... music)

Diamond Drops is about the only track I remember off it.