Next album random ideas

If it were one of these options, what should Opeth's next album be like?

• 2 or 3 20+ Minute songs

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • 1 50+ minute song

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Concept Album

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Long songs with multiple sections

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

Tubbs

Bi-weekly top album:
Nov 5, 2005
Sanford, Maine
decayingcontinuum.bandcamp.com
Okay, for my 100th post, which took me a long ass time to make (I only post on the Opeth and Symphony X forums), I decided to make a poll. I personally think Opeth's next album should have 1 50+ minute song. Of course, THATS WHY ITS A POLL!!! ARHARHAR EVERYONES GOT AN OPINION HOORAY!!! Go ahead. Remember, it's out of these options, so don't start flaming me for giving ideas!

EDIT: The 50+ minute album can count as 1 song that is separated into tracks (like Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, even though that's only around 42 minutes)

Rainwound said:
Where is the option for "40 short Emo songs prepared specifically for radio play with an album length of 25 minutes"? :(
DAMN! I forgot to include that one! Oh, and for ANYONE WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT I MEAN, option 4 actually means songs like Symphony X's The Oddysey, where it's split into several parts with names but is just one song. For anyone who already got that, good for you.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
DAMN! I forgot to include that one! Oh, and for ANYONE WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT I MEAN, option 4 actually means songs like Symphony X's The Oddysey, where it's split into several parts with names but is just one song. For anyone who already got that, good for you.
So like a Rush song?

Opeth do that already, just without separate names for the different sections.

I picked concept album...another one of those would be cool, but a fully developed story as opposed to one that is only vaguely addressed in about half the songs...

I don't really see how some of these options are necessarily mutually exclusive. Whether or not the album is a concept album doesn't really have anything to do with how many tracks there are and how long they are.

But I think one-track albums are a terrible idea in general, so definitely not that.

If they did the same sort of thing that Dreamtheater did with 6 Degrees i think that might be cool - but in turn it may be too much work and have a lot of dud riffs in there as filler.
But who knows?

I believe that on the next album, totally randomly, Opeth will start doing them grind core format songs, i.e. having the greatest epics on the album last no more than 1 minute... But it's just me

CAIRATH said:
I don't really see how some of these options are necessarily mutually exclusive. Whether or not the album is a concept album doesn't really have anything to do with how many tracks there are and how long they are.

But I think one-track albums are a terrible idea in general, so definitely not that.

i think that one song albums are cool....but i like when it is broken down into different tracks.

JoeVice said:
i think that one song albums are cool....but i like when it is broken down into different tracks.
I don't like them, I think it's kind of pointless. A song has to have some cohesion and theme running through it, and by definition a song that goes on for the length of an album is either going to be random and rambling, or boring and repetetive.

I will NEVER buy an album that only has one track, or a track over 25 minutes, unless the song is absolutely phenomenal, one of the 10 best I'd ever heard. Even 10 minutes I think is excessive, especially when I find so many Opeth songs where I like the last couple of minutes so much more than the first several, or they have a filler noise-ish part. Part of me hopes they shave down the average track time to 6-7 minutes, just so it's easier to skip around, as I am prone to doing. I am not going to buy an Opeth release if one track takes up a ridiculous percentage of the album.

But in a way, it's a dumb argument. I'm sure sometimes they love having beefy song lengths, so they'll always do that. Quality of music has nothing to do with song length. Shorter tracks are more convenient, as long as it doesn't see rushed, but more people will jump all over a 20+ minute song screaming "OMG AN EPIC" even though the parts by themselves are somehwta mediocre (see Morningrise... Not all of Black Rose Immortal is bad, but I think if it were two songs split in two, there would be a lot more fans of the first song).

I'm surprised not many people like the 1 song album idea! I mean, seriously, why is it a terrible idea? Opeth is the kind of band with the brains to turn that into something great. Anyway, I'm still sticking with the one track album idea because I plan on having a large catalog of cd's with only 1 song on them... Crimson, of course, and even Crimson II cause I think it is one big song just separated into tracks. That counts as a 1 song album too!!!