next Eos for me

TheNever

Back from the grave....
Oct 20, 2001
Chicago
www.shatteredmetal.com
Okay i have Crimson 1,2, spectral sorrows, unorthodox, and purgatory. Are the others just as awesome? I'm thinking i definitely need Nothing but death remains. Also how's the production? I liked unorthodox's production, if that's a comparison.

You already have their best albums. I like some of the tracks off Infernal. Most of Nothing but Death Remains is too generic for me, but it is above average Death Metal. My only real advice is to avoid cryptic, it has no retaining value at all. Everything good about EoS left with Dan.

Venom5000 said:
You already have their best albums. I like some of the tracks off Infernal. Most of Nothing but Death Remains is too generic for me, but it is above average Death Metal. My only real advice is to avoid cryptic, it has no retaining value at all. Everything good about EoS left with Dan.

Yeah, Cryptic was pretty bad. Which is sad because I liked Dread's guitars and some of his songwriting, I expected a lot more from him.

You might pick up the EP Until Eternity Ends. It's from around the Purgatory Afterglow era and is a good, albeit short, listen. Also, do get Infernal -- it is worth having, though it certainly doesn't compare to any of the albums you already have.

TheNever said:
Okay i have Crimson 1,2, spectral sorrows, unorthodox, and purgatory. Are the others just as awesome? I'm thinking i definitely need Nothing but death remains. Also how's the production? I liked unorthodox's production, if that's a comparison.

I kinda agree with all of the above. You have the best albums already.

Nothing But Death Remains is good. In the same style as Unorthodox, but not quite as good in my opinion.

Infernal is also good, but I kinda got the feeling of "what happened?" when listening to it for the first time after having listened to Crimson for so long. I guess I was expecting something closer to Crimson. ;)

Cryptic is... Umm... Not really worth buying. I'd recommend bying Dan's solo album Moontower, instead, which is from the same time period (that is if you don't already have it). MUCH better! :headbang:

Infernal is quite bad by EoS standards imo.. probably my least fav (except for Cryptic)

Cerebus said:
Infernal is quite bad by EoS standards imo.. probably my least fav (except for Cryptic)

Infernal has a couple of crazy good songs (Losing Myself, Hell is where the heart is, 15:36). It doesn't have any bad songs, either. I guess that's not very high for EoS standards, but it's certainly a decent album. I like it more than Nothing but death remains.

Why are people always asking other people what to do?
You´ll get so many different answers anyhow that afterwards you could ask: which of the suggestions should I follow ;)
For most albums in general you can find the bandmembers and the production info (who did what) in online database, or fansites, or from reviews. If possible, you can also download a few songs first, check and then decide which one you wanna buy. Tastes are so different, if someone here says they like something, you might dislike it and the other way round.
I tend to find new stuff by researching connections between bands, who is friends with whom, or where are influences from, and then that´s the next step for me to try, for example from Dan Swanö to Vintersorg, or from Profane Omen to Omnium Gatherum.

But there is an exception, to ask for new band suggestions in general is a good thing :D
Only these album questions I don´t really understand.

nothing but death remains is an interesting listen...came out when death metal was at it's peak in the early 90s. The record displayed the sound and aggression of that time period, if you're big collector of that stuff like me...get it. I have the first 5 edge of sanity..but I'm looking to get some unicorn. unicorn is good shit.