nick holmes is one of them

Nick Holmes: one of the greatest doom metal vocalists EVER along with Darren White. Didn't really pay much attention to the later Paradise Lost stuff. Bring back the: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrthis roootttting miiiiiiiisseerrryy!! :headbang:
There's my 2 cents. hehe

breaklose said:
'draconian times' is their best. after that it went downhill, 'host' is the last album on which i liked some songs. then 'believe in nothing' turned me off. let alone 'symbol of shite'.
There is a really good song on 'Believe in Nothing' i believe it's the last song 'soul pretending' kind of reminds me of something off of draconian times, but the guitar solo is something a beginner can play so why even bother with it?

a_silent_enigma said:
Nick Holmes: one of the greatest doom metal vocalists EVER along with Darren White. Didn't really pay much attention to the later Paradise Lost stuff. Bring back the: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrthis roootttting miiiiiiiisseerrryy!! :headbang:
There's my 2 cents. hehe

Actually, I think he can't really sing, I mean sometimes he can, sometimes not, mostly not, so not something like Layne Staley, who got on stage (even on the MTV unplugged) stoned and washed out like hell, still he could bring it on no matter what :headbang:

There's my 2 forints. :cool:

Host can be good sometimes though, I like that song could you stand back and take this all in before it's too late? But the duet with the lady makes it great I guess.

Nothing sacred and Deep is best on Host, actually just felt like listening to it and realised my mate has it grr.

I always felt BIN was as good as anything they've done since DT, that song is World Pretending

Maqus said:
Actually, I think he can't really sing, I mean sometimes he can, sometimes not, mostly not, ...

There's my 2 forints. :cool:
you're right, most of the time he can't
i wonder how it's good on the albums in the first place...

Bastet said:
i wonder how it's good on the albums in the first place...
There you go :erk:
5. I guess you had to do all the backing vocals. So, does it bring a different colour to the songs (now that we were used to Lee's voice)?

From an album point of view I don’t think it will make a noticeable difference, voices can be "toyed" with in the studio.

See the problem with Paradise Lost is that they went from making some really effective metal songs (I dont want to say complex, but there was something really big about the songs) to pop albums. One Second, HOST, BIN, SOL were all basically pop albums. One Second was sisters of mercy, Host was depeche mode, BIN and SOL was an attempt to compromise pop with the knobs turned up to 10..In the new stuff the production is too polished (when will bands learn that 'perfect' and polished production on an album takes away from it's identity and is very effective in boring the listener) there are no guitar lines or solos (normally i would say so what, but for paradise lost this was an essential part, and done rather well...why would you take a winning element out of your music?) and finally the vocals...Nick never was a great singer but on the albums his gruff voice was really moving, when he learned to 'sing' like his idols his voice became weak and uneffective, sure - they are not horrible but there is nothing to stand out in front of the album, to lead the songs.

I just hope they will bring back some of the elements that made them great instead of the third rate pop ones that they use now

breaklose said:
i wouldnt call those last albums pop tho. its miles away from, lets say, keane, the rasmus, nickelback, coldplay or usher.
Well I would say they take more from 80's pop music, like Depeche Mode,sisters of mercy or whatever...I don't hate pop music (I actually liked Host a lot, it's a good pop album) but I think PL just fails at being a band that makes very accesible music...i'm not comparing them to any of those above bands, at least their new stuff is listenable.

Don Corleone said:
i hope they stay the same way and make another album like one second.

why are solos so important to people? if they are there and good, great
but if they arent there and the song is still good, whats wrong?
I agree with you 100% however I think Paradise Lost have created some of the best songs based on guitar solo's and guitar melodies. Unfortunatly they ditched how creative a guitar can sound, and now play boring power riffs with the knobs up to 10, they mixed it with pop electonic sounds and claim it's something innovative, it's really not...I think they can do alot better if they made guitar the main instrument again.

Bastet said:
no one seems to care anymore...
Well, should we care?
This guy stayed for 2 years maybe and then bye bye.
And leaving Anathema to join Cradle of Filth is the evidence you don't have to worry anymore. This guy's lost. But richer than us all perhaps that's right:yuk: