Night and the Silent Water Appreciation thread

Jan 27, 2006
Maybe not the most original topic, but I've become an absolute junkie for this song recently. Seeing it live for the first time back in May only worsened this addiction. I'm pretty sure Opeth is the only band out there that can make death metal sound so somber and sad (Amon Amarth on occassion, but nothing like this). Also, if there is anything in music more exhilarating than the final 4 minutes of this song, I would really, really like to hear it.

I don't like the original recording, but after seeing it live it really brought me to love the song. Then to have it on Roundhouse Tapes, it became one of my favorite Opeth songs. The last 4min, like you said, is just incredible, especially with Axe's drumming.

I think he said he didn't like it because it was an emotional song written about his grandfather. But has come to like it, which is why Opeth has been playing it since the 2008 tour where it debuted live.

They really need to re-record this. It absolutely blows that the live version is better because live recordings always detract from the sound, meaning a new studio version of this would utterly rape.

I prefer their live recordings to album versions. The Roundhouse Tapes made me appreciate the songs more. They should record all their songs live, that'd be awesome.

Only band I've ever heard that sounds a little better live than in studio is Dream Theater on some of their songs, and tbh that's because most Dream Theater albums have no atmosphere whatsoever so the background noise of a crowd is somehow an improvement.

Its just that the production on their earlier records were done very poorly, which is why the live versions sound so much different/better. If they ever remixed/remastered or even better, rerecorded their first few records, it would be like listening to a whole new song.

That last riff of Night & Silent (they call it that on the setlist I snatched from the stage) is one of the riffs that could go on and on for hours, and still be awesome.

The others are: outros of Deliverance, Heir Apparent, intro to The Moor and the song Blackwater Park in it's entire awesomity..

oh I see...I don't like it because Mike said he doesn't like it.

i really hope you're joking :lol:

They really need to re-record this. It absolutely blows that the live version is better because live recordings always detract from the sound, meaning a new studio version of this would utterly rape.

why should they re-record it when the live version already sounds great?
imo, the original recording is better than the live version anyway

lol there's nothing wrong with the production of this song that isn't wrong with the other songs on Morningrise...yet this is the only one that gets mentioned (I wonder why)

I prefer the oldschool production sound of the first two albums to the overly compressed and loud sounds of say Ghost Reveries or Watershed. Mabye its just me.

Amazing song, really stands out to me.
I love both the Roundhouse tapes version, and the Morningrise version.. however, in the roundhouse version Åkerfeldt growls the whispering part, and to be honest i rather prefer that part being whispered. :p

I don't like the original recording, but after seeing it live it really brought me to love the song. Then to have it on Roundhouse Tapes, it became one of my favorite Opeth songs. The last 4min, like you said, is just incredible, especially with Axe's drumming.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

(don't like it in studio, awesome in RHT, ABSOLUTE TRUCKLOADS OF WIN live)

I don't like the production.

And agreed - the production is thin, tinny and lacks balls. And, of course, Axe ftw!