Nightfall - Gazing Steadily into the Future

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/nightfallfront.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Jason Jordan

Greece, as with most other countries, has a select amount of idiosyncratic traits that others know it by. In recent years, Greek cuisine has spread rampantly across all lands and everyone knows that said country has a penchant for hosting Olympic events. With all things recognizably Greek are the band Nightfall, whose albums are rapidly climbing the list of Greece’s chief exports.

Nightfall’s thirteen-year existence is a testament to the band’s diligent, work ethic. Amazingly, as I would learn from George Bokos (lead guitar), “we were the first Greek band to release an official album on a foreign label.” The album Bokos refers to is 1992’s Parade into Centuries, which debuted on France’s Holy Records. “Moreover,” he continues, “we were the first Greek band to release stuff on CD format.” The musicians trudged on, and continued to release critically acclaimed records. After excursions such as 1997’s oddly titled Lesbian Show and 2003’s debut outing with Black Lotus Records in I Am Jesus, the group solidified for 2004’s Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments. As with any new release, feedback began to roll into the Nightfall camp. “The first reactions were very good, maybe because it is more aggressive than ‘I Am Jesus’ or ‘Diva Futura’ [1999],” the guitarist says. “Haven’t seen any negative yet, but who cares after all?” Bokos explicates further, “we give our best each album, and we are happy if people like the way we play.”

bandlive5.jpg

Similarly, Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments was coined strategically. “Efthimis [Karadimas, vocals] is the one who writes the lyrics and comes up with the album titles, and we started working on the new album a couple of months after the 'I Am Jesus' release,” he states, “Efthimis is also the one who brings the basic idea of composition and then we all work together on the arrangements of the songs.” Clearly, though, there is no overt mastermind pulling the strings behind Nightfall’s happenings; the group is a cohesive unit that is ultimately benevolent in motive. “The result of this hard work is that ‘Lyssa…’ is an album full of rage and agony,” but, “we had it in mind to create a soundtrack for every metalhead.” From the whimsical mutterings of the opener “Dark Red Sky” – for which Bokos insists there is no meaning – to the aggressive antagonism displayed on “Christless,” the band have evidently intended this to be enjoyed by metalheads worldwide.

bandlive28.jpg

It’s not simply about the music, though. Numerous themes abound throughout Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments, and many may readily notice the inclusion of religious topics within the band’s catalog. “The titles ‘I Am Jesus’ and ‘Christless’ have very ‘close’ meanings,” Bokos says. “It is very interesting to observe the reactions of the masses towards him and his so-called theories,” he explains, “we have all become computers of sort: programmed to think certain things, to dream certain dreams, and to act in specific ways.” With a lyric in place like I don’t believe Jesus Christ, it’s no surprise that “’Christless’ is another provocative song title. It is even more interesting to see that the Christian religion is structured to have room even for its enemies!” Many black metallers – and purveyors of other genres – share the same sentiments as Bokos. But, the quintet’s latest LP has other meaningful factors. Not surprisingly, “’Lyssa’ is a Greek word and means rage.” Bokos chases the former statement with, “’Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments’ is about the need most human beings have to believe in ‘gods’; [they’re] supreme, divine characters who communicate with the masses via their representatives (popes, priests, and other religious leaders) whose role is to give guidelines and punish whomever doesn’t follow. Pathetic.” Another strong paradigm is conveyed in “The Perfect Li(f)e,” in which Efthimis – as confessed by Bokos – relays his discomfort with the expansion of Athens.

nightfall.jpg
nightfall.gif
nightfall.jpg

Unfortunately, grandiose tour plans don’t seem to be in Nightfall’s deck of cards, at least this time. “We will start giving gigs in April in Greece. We want to come and give gigs all over the States, if the promoters are interesting in bringing us. That would be just great for us!” Bokos has an obvious dilemma in choosing his favorite song to perform live, however: “Hmm…’Dark Red Sky,’ ‘Swollen,’ ‘Christless.’ Maybe all the record, heh heh.” Finally, I picked Bokos’s brain regarding his favorite album of 2004. Without debate, “Bloodbath’s ‘Nightmares Made Flesh.’ Unbelievable death metal piece!” And, so, the interview came to a fitting end with a member of Nightfall citing a death metal masterpiece. Most assuredly, Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments has the ability to impact metalheads in much the same way.

Ultimatemetal’s review of Nightfall’s “Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments”
Official Nightfall website
Official Black Lotus Records website