circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Nightfall – Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments
Black Lotus Records – December 6th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

nightfall.gif

Greek metallers Nightfall return. Remember them? They’re the ones that like to use unusual names for their album titles such as I Am Jesus and Lesbian Show. In any case, the music is the real, true end-all-be-all by which I judge a band and their subsequent likeability. The aforementioned group are fairly good, but Lyssa… – as a complete work – isn’t going to usurp the powerhouse records anytime soon.

“Dark Red Sky” – after fourteen seconds – musters momentum with a very solid riff, and Karadimas’ (slightly blackened) death vocalizations blend well with the music, despite being generic. The song, overall, is a good outing. “Swollen” commences with less success, because the ambience is just not there; seemingly, the band missed a step between brainstorm and the finished product. “Christless” features some mind-bending drumwork out of the starting gate, and blends this with a dirty riff that is as antagonistic as the lyrics. The track’s chorus will definitely have you chanting, “I don’t believe Jesus Christ!” whether you do or not. And, you’ll be sporting the devil horns if able. (Note: I participated in neither of the above actions). “Master of My Dreams” tries to be subtle as separate instruments fade into the mix – however, the upfront drums are a staple throughout the length of the opus. “The Perfect Li(f)e,” keeping with the equation that every other song on Lyssa… is very good, is very good. I love the guitar squeals in the background. The double-bass onslaught is pure ecstasy also. “The End Times” grinds the album’s pace to a halt. “Synastry” retains the slow, death groove that manifested itself on aforesaid compositions. “One of These Days,” “Victimized,” and “So(u)l Invictus” lead up to “Essence,” which witnesses Nightfall take a different direction.

Like many of you out there, I wasn’t so disappointed in the quintet’s latest that I’ll toss it into the trash. But, it noticeably didn’t meet my expectations. Nonetheless, I won’t be citing Lyssa: Rural Gods and Astonishing Punishments in my picks of 2004. I highly doubt that others will either.

7/10

Official Nightfall website
Official Black Lotus Records website