Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

- I think mix is good (not their best tho).
- Her voice is good pop voice but now they sound too similar to the Within Temptations, Lacuna Coils etc of this world. Before u instantly knew it was Nightwish when u heard Tarjas voice, it wasnt to everyones taste but her voice was pretty striking and original for metal.
- Songwriting is weak. Has been going downhill since Wishmaster for me. Eva is a weaker Setting Sun, Amaranth is a weaker Nemo and that Cadance of Her Last breath is just sickeningly pop nu metal sounding. Seems a long time ago that they wrote great songs like She Is My Sin, Come Cover Me and Wishmaster.
- Dont like Marcos voice and the fact that he sings so much on new record i see as a lack of confidence in Annette.
All seems very simple and watered/dumbed down from the band they used to be (probably perfect for the hot topic crowd), all the orchestra in the world cant make a weak song good.
Went a bit ranty there but oh well, had a bad day.

Am I the only one who think about eurovision everytime I hear a nightwish song?
I just can't help it.:lol: :zombie:

500.000 €... Platinum albums...
I had the chance to interview Tuomas years ago, it was the first eurpean tour of Nightwish. He was a kind of computer freaky with his glasses on, and I get astonished because he had never listen to Black Sabbath and just some songs of Iron Maiden. He was more into the european powermetal scene.

And now... look at him! He is one of the most important musicians in metal in europe even you like his music or not, recording in Abbey with the London Orchestra. By the time I did that interview I was a "great" guitar player without too much success... :cry::cry: who have to work as salesman to earn some bucks... What a lucky bastard!:yuk:

I like the vast majority of this album, but that bizarre folksy jig gets on my nerves and I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on in the intro to Master Passion Greed - is that a snare or a pissed-off cowbell?

Jeff

I haven't listened to Nightwish since 2001 (Tarja's voice had become an irritant and the songs started sounding allthesame-y), but this thread has motivated me to check out their new album, even if just to hear what y'all are talking about. :)

The whole cd has such a nice flow to it, there are no songs that felt out of place. The new singer sounds very different than tarja, but she is still great, you just have to get used to her voice! So overall i think its pretty good
:saint:

I was never a big fan of Tarja's singing...she's good, but it just didn't do it for me...the new singer has a more pleasant voice...and Marco is always good...the boy sopranos had some problems in the Poet and the Pendulum, though...

I think the cd is really good...I'm becoming a big fan of Emppu's playing...