Nightwish

Yeah, Once is their best album. Not sure why he thought Once was one of their less well-received efforts. On most of the metal sites I frequent, it got the highest review scores of any Nightwish album. And it sold better than any Nightwish album until Dark Passion Play I believe.

What he said.

I actually prefer Annette over Tarja. I like being able to understand everything the singer is saying in a song, I had issues with most of Tarja's vocals, but the music kept me buying the albums. Maybe I'm over the whole operatic thing.

Someone mentioned Annette wearing a Tiara earlier and that it was a metal band not a pop band. Meh, I don't recall seeing any pop stars wearing tiaras lately. One could argue about some of Tarja's outfits and say it's a metal show not a wedding. Who cares what they're wearing. Hell, I saw Cheap Trick at a water park in North Miami and it looked like the just came off a water slide when they took the stage in swim shorts and all and to this day one of the BEST shows I've ever seen.

Maybe the pop thing wasn't a good comparison. When I said that it was more of a statement of how she was trying to be too cute in the performance instead of realizing her crowd/performance. That's what bothered me.

Yeah, Once is their best album. Not sure why he thought Once was one of their less well-received efforts. On most of the metal sites I frequent, it got the highest review scores of any Nightwish album. And it sold better than any Nightwish album until Dark Passion Play I believe.

Just from things I have read, it seems like long time fans thought it was the beginning of the end, so to speak. Also, if you check places like Metal Archives, it receives the lowest rating out of all their full lengths. As I said, I dig it.

Just from things I have read, it seems like long time fans thought it was the beginning of the end, so to speak. Also, if you check places like Metal Archives, it receives the lowest rating out of all their full lengths. As I said, I dig it.

Personally, it was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Century Child, which it seemed liked they milked as much out of the band as they could and had nothing new to offer. Once proved otherwise.

Just from things I have read, it seems like long time fans thought it was the beginning of the end, so to speak.

Yeah, it was a departure for them, so I can see a lot of longtime fans thinking that the band had left them behind.

Oh, so NW isn't allowed to do that because they're white?

Heh. No, it's because it's not metal. I just hope we never have a Swedes vs. Finns war that results in Joacim Cans and Timo Kotipelto getting shot.

We've already had that. Anyone ever hear of Euronymous? :lol:

I actually also prefer Anette. Her vocals appeal to me more.

My favorite albums from Nightwish, in order, are -

DPP
Century Child
Once
Wishmaster
Angels Fall First
Oceanborn

...I really don't dig Tarja's "classical" crap. Simone Simons (Epica) is also classically trained, and she actually sounds good.

I was really into them early on. Oceanborn was a solid play for me for a long time. I think their sound evolved some, matured all the way up through Once which I still enjoyed. I can't get into the band in their current lineup though. Annettes vocals don't fit the band at all IMHO, and seeing it live didn't change that for me. I doubt I'll bother with anymore of their albums till something changes.

Greetings. I'm gonna have to side with FleshandBlood on the vocals for Nightwish. Strongly prefer Anette to Tarja. I don't really care for Nightwish's sound with Tarja's vocals, actually. That being said, I don't hold a grudge against anyone with differing opinions and I think that given the change in vocalists happened in 2006 - four years ago - it's probably time to let it go.

EDIT: With regards to Anette not perfectly performing songs that Tarja sang...isn't that one of those things that anyone with a modicum of common sense would expect? No two vocalists are the same, and no two vocalists will have identical capabilities. It is unreasonable to expect Anette to sing songs that were written with Tarja as vocalist as well as Tarja would have sang them, just as it would be unreasonable to expect Tarja to sing songs with Anette as vocalist as well as Anette would sing them.

Anyone that thinks Once was Nightwish's best CD have not listened to Wishmaster. Just incredibly epic.

Greetings. I'm gonna have to side with FleshandBlood on the vocals for Nightwish. Strongly prefer Anette to Tarja. I don't really care for Nightwish's sound with Tarja's vocals, actually. That being said, I don't hold a grudge against anyone with differing opinions...

Sigh. You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to accuse the singer that doesn't suit your tastes of sucking, being unable to sing, and singing out of key. Don't you know that anyone you don't prefer has no talent? :p

Seriously though, thanks for being reasonable! I'm always amazed at how people fail to realize that personal preference does not equal skill or talent. Just a bit of a self-centered world, no? Case in point:

Nightwish is still one of my favorite bands but I just don't understand how you can have one of the greatest female vocalist in metal, kick her out and then replace her with someone who can't sing.

Sigh. You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to accuse the singer that doesn't suit your tastes of sucking, being unable to sing, and singing out of key. Don't you know that anyone you don't prefer has no talent? :p

Oh, sorry. My bad. Tarja sucks and can't sing and I can't stand that no-talent hack as a singer!!!! I want to :puke: when I hear her sing!

Yeah...just not my style. :)

Seriously though, thanks for being reasonable! I'm always amazed at how people fail to realize that personal preference does not equal skill or talent. Just a bit of a self-centered world, no?

You could say that. Too much sense of entitlement amongst younger people - always think that their opinion is the only one that's right. Add to that the fact that metal-genre music tends to amp up people's emotions, and :devil:.

Tarja is a talented and fantastic singer and I easily understand why people like her vocal capabilities - but she is not my cup o' tea.