Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Nine Inch Nails – Pretty Hate Machine
Island CID9973 1989
By Russell Garwood

Nine Inch Nail’s (NIN) “Pretty Hate Machine” is the album primarily responsible for watering down and providing a more palatable form of industrial music to the masses. NIN’s angst-ridden pop-structured songs are catchy and, while sounding slightly dated, are still a welcome listen.

The music consists of strong looped drums throughout, plus many samples, noises, guitar and vocals. The majority of these are programmed, performed and written by Trent Reznor, the mastermind behind NIN. They create an atmospheric and downcast album, the lyrics (as always with Trent) being perfectly judged, and extremely well written; for example, “it's still getting worse after everything I tried, what if I found a way to wash it all aside, what if she touches with those fingertips, as the words spill out like fire from her lips”.

Opening with the dancey and hugely cynical “Head Like A Hole”, the mood of the album is established early, being cemented by “Terrible Lie”, with a dig at organised religion. Track 4 “Sanctify” has a tapped, catchy bass-line that sticks in your head for hours and the heart-wrenching “Something I Can Never Have” has to be one of the most depressing, and best songs on the album. Other standout tracks include the more aggressive “Sin” and the dark and hopeless “Ring Finger”.

This is a hugely influential classic which is still relevant and well worth getting, and while it may not be the best album to get if you are new to NIN, it is a necessity for fans of the band and industrial music.

:lol: if you think so ;)

I've always liked Trents lyrics - to quote a friend, "he's angry with himself, not other people". The majority bands (generaly male), who write about their feelings (especially in metal) seem to have a grudge against everyone else, and never seem to be able to handle blame or face the consequences of their actions. It always some-one elses fault, and strikes me as pathetic :p Trent doesn't work like that...:)

Musical taste is, of course, entirely subjective, but I love NIN's music throughout their career :) even "The Fragile" :eek: Give it a try, you may be surprised :)

I really liked 'Pretty Hate Machine' (and still do to this day).

But for some reason (and I know a lot of NIN fans won't like this) I did not like 'Downward Spiral' one single bit, with the exception of "Closer".

"Pretty Hate Machine" is an ok album by NIN. However Trent Rezoner has a habit of being a whining bastard sometimes. Some of the songs on "Pretty Hate Machine" start to sound the same after awhile. If you're just getting into NIN you're probably better getting "And all that could have been" even though it's live (and off key in places) it's got some of the best tracks on there. Otherwise i would just reccommend downloading selected tracks off the net. :)

I love the album, but it's still my least favorite NIN. Sin is one of Trent's best songs though, hinted at where he would be going in the future...

Pretty Hate Machine is pretty cool. I've liked this band from the first time I saw their video 'Head Like A Hole' on MTV back in 1990. As good as this album is, I enjoy the 'Broken' ep more!

I beat all of you in NIN collections. I have original sealed copies of all 17 holes except 1, and this includes the special edition double halo 17 :)

But why are people still diggin up old reviews?

I have the Happiness in Slavery advance VIP promo 12". THe best part is I don't even LIKE the band.

I'll take it off your hands if you wish to clear your collection of music you don't like. :)