Nine Inch Nails

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
How many other people here are fans of this band?

I picked up With Teeth the other day and fucking love that album. I think it is better than The Downward Spiral

I tried The Downward Spiral, but it didn't impress me much to be honest. I plan on giving that, or maybe one of their other albums, another chance at some point.

I think Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral are pretty even...I can't say which one I like more. One of my favourite releases from them is the Broken EP though. The Fragile had its moments, and their only recent thing I like is The Slip. Great fucking album.

Pretty Hate Machine is far better, silly

the production, instrumentation and songwriting are much better on downward spiral. pretty hate machine's sound is too close to a depeche mode album to be dark or threatening.

lol? I would agree with you if you had been talking about With Teeth.

don't get me wrong PHM is very good... but there's nothing abrasive about it... it sounds like the whole thing was done on a keyboard... no ambient sounds, no raw guitars... TDS is the perfect direction Trent made after that album.

The Fragile is far and away their best album. It is richer and more complex then The Downward Spiral, but not complex in a wanky prog way, but rather like classical music, where every part has a place and is obediant to the whole. It displays more nuance and maturity then the downward spiral, although it isn't as emotionally devestating, it is more realistic. Although some songs sound less then perfect when taken out of the whole, if you listen to the two disks all the way through without any distractions, then it is easily the best one he wrote.

The Fragile is far and away their best album. It is richer and more complex then The Downward Spiral, but not complex in a wanky prog way, but rather like classical music, where every part has a place and is obediant to the whole. It displays more nuance and maturity then the downward spiral, although it isn't as emotionally devestating, it is more realistic. Although some songs sound less then perfect when taken out of the whole, if you listen to the two disks all the way through without any distractions, then it is easily the best one he wrote.

I disagree with this in so many ways.

I would say PHM, but I think With Teeth has the best lyrics out of the stuff I've heard. The Hand That Feeds is fucking amazing

Their best lyrics, hands down, are on Hurt. After that I like Head Like A Hole, Something I Can Never Have, Sin, March of The Pigs, The Becoming and Suck.

Now since I'm really into this, I'm gonna say my favourite lines from them as well lol:

I'll heal your wounds
I'll set you free
I'm Jesus Christ on Ecstacy - Suck

Bow down before the one you serve,
You're going to get what you deserve - Head Like A Hole

Beneath the stain of time
the feeling disappears
you are someone else
I am still right here - Hurt (This one gives me chills every time)

it won't give up it wants me dead
goddamn this noise inside my head - The Becoming