NitND vs. TGCD: Round 1

Which is the better opener?

• Total voters
not really, but i got into katatonia by their trademark soaring riffs. And I coulnd't hear any remarkable ones in NitND

You mean the melodic leads I'm assuming, which were missing from TGCD too.

Not just the leads,for example, In the white, there's a really cool soaring solo in the beginning.The same with Dissolving Bonds although it's not in the album , it is from the same era,while in NitND there's practically none,which in my opinion is what characterized Katatonia the most.

Not just the leads,for example, In the white, there's a really cool soaring solo in the beginning..

That's a "lead" which is the vocal line from the chorus phrased out on guitar. The trademark lead guitar work is completely missing from TGCD and NitND. It's been missing since Viva Emptiness. Dissolving the Bonds has a lead that rivals the good ol' days, but it's not on TGCD as you said, and has nothing to do with this poll.

Well, whatever it is,NitND is far away from what Katatonia used to be and to my ears TGCD has what I've been listening from Katatonia for the past 13 years.

That's a "lead" which is the vocal line from the chorus phrased out on guitar. The trademark lead guitar work is completely missing from TGCD and NitND. It's been missing since Viva Emptiness. Dissolving the Bonds has a lead that rivals the good ol' days, but it's not on TGCD as you said, and has nothing to do with this poll.

dunno bout you but i consider the guitar lines in the chorus of liberation a lead, not a LFDGD lead tho

Displaced had a beginning lead also

dunno bout you but i consider the guitar lines in the chorus of liberation a lead, not a LFDGD lead tho

Displaced had a beginning lead also

"Trademark", as in those doom rooted, Paradise Lost inspired leads.

Comprende?

Uh, ya. Katatonia were majorly influenced by PL who were majorly influences by Candlemass who were majorly influenced by Sabbath and so on and so forth.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxWqHGSlLds&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
eh dont listen to much doom so i wouldnt no

forsaker is one of the weaker tracks on the album to me anyways

its all bout onward into battle when it comes to nitnd

^I'm with him. And by that I meant Cerulean who was the last post before I replied. ^^

The discussions who did what when and what is typical are kinda pointless.

For this comparison I picked Forsaker but for overall album comparison TGCD is a better Katatonia album IMHO.
for some reasons,I feel in NITND many songs are disjointed during different sessions in the songs, I don't really like that
and production wise, don't really like NITND's snare sound, it sounds choking compare to TGCD.

Forsaker is one of the song in NITND I didn't feel it's disjointed and it has really killer groovy riffs going on in there while retaining the trademark Katatonic atmosphere.
Also Ashen is a killer track in NITND too!

^I'm with him. And by that I meant Cerulean who was the last post before I replied. ^^

The discussions who did what when and what is typical are kinda pointless.

Actually the point of the thread isn't which album people prefer, but rather judging the merits of the individual tracks. The thread got sidetracked right off the bat.