NitND vs. TGCD: Round 1

Which is the better opener?

• Total voters
I consider TGCD and NITND having more in common with each other than VE. For me, those two albums (TGCD and NITND) are in a completely different league above their previous material. Although that is mainly due to the vast improvement in the vocals and the way Jonas started singing on TGCD (and continued into NITND). His vocals now have a lot of eerie melisma techniques and sounds almost "mantra/chant-like". VE certainly has some good songs on it, but TGCD and NITND are the only two Katatonia albums where I enjoy every single song (including the b-sides).

I agree in many ways. But I feel there is a downside to the new material (at least after NITND). The variation between the songs on VE is much bigger than in the last two albums. Of course, I love TGCD above all albums. NITND has some super songs and I would rate it their 3rd best album, but it's a bit too static. Too much apathy...it needed a bit more angry on it. All in all it's just small complaints.

Actually NitND is easily their most varied between songs. You have the heavy crushing songs like Forsaker, the more electronic reliant tracks such as Longest Year, the acoustic heavy Opeth homage track Idle Blood, the slightly doomish Nephilim, their most laid back track Inheritance, Day & Then is their first song with an upbeat feel, and then Departer which is unlike anything they've done before. However, slow tempos are prevalent throughout a large portion of the record, which is more what you're talking about.