No American Bands at PPVI...Is this true? Then NO ENCHANT?

Burke said:
Glenn - thanks for the direct comments about ENCHANT - some of us hardcore fans really appreciate your candidness - and understand your position.

(I will throw in <funny> that after playing NEARFEST, alot of people there considered them possibly too heavy compared to the other bands, dropping them into a no-man's land between 'not light enough for Nearfest and not heavy enough for Progpower')

Well those of us who have seen them live know they can rock and rock loud. And I was happy to see so many people come out in that thread to support the band. :headbang:

In the end, it is your festival and you make the calls - and your guidelines have worked in the past and worked damn well. Making this one of the premiere US festivals of its type if not THE premiere US festival.

However it goes down, you always put together a HELL of a good time and a great show :worship: and even if I am really only fired up to see FOUR out of the ten bands, I ALWAYS have a blast and discover at least ONE new band that I find I like.

Just keep on keepin' on, man.... Sept can't get here fast enough. :hotjump:

I'm sure Glenn had a tear rolling down his face when he read this.... Totally predictable...:tickled::tickled::tickled:

Pyramaze51 said:
Maybe Zero Hour, that would be good, or just maybe OUTWORLD on the main stage. or hope beyond Hope MAGNITUDE 9.

I'll second Zero Hour... Perhaps even Death Machine.

I'll settle for Lacuna Coil, Opeth, Freak Kitchen, Green Carnation, Porcupine Tree, Antimatter, CONCEPTION (AGAIN!!), Eventide, RIVERSIDE (actually I'm thinking riverside is gonna be there this year), Indukti... or something along those lines. Less Power more Prog in other words. (here come the flamers).

Do it Glenn, DO IT!

Well...
Riverside - Won't be there. Visa issues. Unless Glenn pulled out a miracle.
Lacuna Coil, Opeth, Porcupine Tree - They tour the US too often, I'm sure Glenn (and the PP crowd) would rather have bands that don't come here too often.
Conception - Highly doubt they'll be back.
Indukti - FUCK YEAH, I would love to see them, although if Mariusz Duda (Riverside) is the one who has Visa problems (just guessing), it wouldn't happen.

Can't get enough of Opeth and Porcupine Tree though.

Oh and I forgot about DREDG!

Well, it is good to know that Enchant is/has been been considered. I don't think I need to regurgitate my feelings about this band once again -- as I think I made my position on them quite clear on the thread I started about these guys.

As far as the NearFest thing goes... poor Enchant stuck in the middle of nowhere! They didn't exactly get the warmest of receptions there since they were WAY too metal for NF. :lol: :lol: I think they are a WAY better fit for PP than NF and the draw would be at least good enough for a 3-4 slot. I guess time will tell when Enchant does get their time on the PP stage -- as I now know it is inevitable. :headbang: :headbang: I do have to chuckle at the large contiogent of people talking about Porcupine Tree and Riverside. Not that there is anything wrong with these guys, but Enchant is like Slayer when compared to these guys! :D

I also know that the line-up will kick ass this year! The first two bands announced are a great indication. I've been listening to the Wastefall for a while now and yes, it does have strong hints of PoS, but they also have something that makes them have their own sound and I'm personally excited about seeing them. As far as Pyramaze goes, I had been noticing the buzz on the web had been steadily growing for the past year now (huge support here, no doubt) and my curiousity was up. When the announced for this year I immediately went out and finally made time to check them out. I have been very happy with what I've heard and now am excited about seeing them too! So, PP has made me "discover" yet another band. I think Enchant will win over new fans when they pleasantly surprise everyone when they play PP!

Anakinnnn said:
Thanks for the response Glenn. You know I appreciate your work and efforts and certainly your ability to put on a great show. I always am interested in bands there.....but here's my take on it.....
I am a businessman like you with this show. Obviously it's your show and you get the pick the bands of course, but like you have said in the past, certain bands need to make you money or at least be a good VALUE. I don't do promotional shows for a living I know, but I do know return on investment and cost analysis......and surely Enchant would not be a large cost to you since their touring demand is probably pretty minor in the world of prog....so maybe they come cheap...just a guess. Secondly, they're on Inside Out, which if I am not mistaken is a sponsor. Surely a show sponsor getting one or multiple bands on your stage would cut you a deal, making them a better value paired up with another Inside Out labelmate. Third, there's the shipping and travel cost....equipment from this continent has to be a lot cheaper to ship than overseas. Travel for them would most likely be cheaper as well. Fourth, there's the currency exchange factor in your favor. The Euro is killing the US dollar, so having one or two bands from the US that are hard to see touring is not a bad thing when it comes to the value again. Your US dollar goes further with a US cost rather than a European cost. Fifth, the demand from fans to see this band has seemed to get pretty high over the last few years which makes them a sure thing for ticket sales based on a lot of posts I have seen around here. I mean, it IS just one band out of ten. Small chance to take financially if they aren't that big of a sales draw. Sixth and finally, they DO have a new album coming out this year and I thought that was the last qualification for a band to make it on the roster (discarding extenuating circumstances of course like Conception.) So with a new album this year, why not?

As you can see, I have thought this out pretty well and I thought they were a sure bet this year. So it's not that I am JUST an Enchant fanboy, it just seems like good business. :)

But thanks anyways. Maybe next year eh?

Anakin

While it looks like they won't make it this year, if their upcoming album is well recieved they should be a lock for PPVIII! Obviously not everyone has the funds to do so but have any Enchant fans thought about sponsoring them? That might be a good way to help get them on the bill. Another idea is to try to get Shane to book them for the pre-party. A killer performance in front of a sold-out pro Enchant crowd could also get them a shot at the big stage.

I have no problem with people questioning my omission of a band nor do I take it as negative criticism for the most part. Kyle has been complaining for a few years on the Portnoy Forum that the roster simply isn't "prog" enough for him to attend. On the flip side, I get the "Why not Running Wild?" posts ever year from a few devoted power fans.

It's never easy trying to find a balance that I think will sell tickets plus keep everyone happy.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
It's never easy trying to find a balance that I think will sell tickets plus keep everyone happy.

Glenn H.

You will never make everyone happy. Having followed this forum for a couple of years now It is easy to see that we all have varied taste within the respective genres and out of these two genres. I understand that you are attempting to make choices that will put butts in seats but I also get the sence that they also have to appeal to you or you will not have them. I have heard you say on a few occasions that a certain band was not concidered because they did not appeal to you or you chose one band over another because they appealed to you most. To a certain extent I agree with this as afterall it is your show. However, if 800 people want to see a certain band but you don't like them then no doubt there will be those that will moan and groan. I supose my point is, you and I have similar and very unsimilar taste on certain music. If you are basing some or all of the bands on your taste, then undoubtedly you will have bands playind that I could care less about. That is okay as there will be others that want to see those bands. It is a very challanging juggling act and I am glad it is you and not me that has to do it. Well, I guess you don't have to do it but I for one am greatful that you do! Differnet strokes for different folks is what makes the world go round. More power to you brother and keep on keeping on. :cool:

FatesFan said:
but I also get the sence that they also have to appeal to you or you will not have them. I have heard you say on a few occasions that a certain band was not concidered because they did not appeal to you or you chose one band over another because they appealed to you most.

100% True.

Glenn H.

AngraRULES said:
I'm sure Glenn had a tear rolling down his face when he read this.... Totally predictable...:tickled::tickled::tickled:

And why would that be?

Other people can state their cases for a band and I can't?

AngraRULES said:
Well...
Riverside - Won't be there. Visa issues. Unless Glenn pulled out a miracle.
Lacuna Coil, Opeth, Porcupine Tree - They tour the US too often, I'm sure Glenn (and the PP crowd) would rather have bands that don't come here too often.
Conception - Highly doubt they'll be back.
Indukti - FUCK YEAH, I would love to see them, although if Mariusz Duda (Riverside) is the one who has Visa problems (just guessing), it wouldn't happen.

I fail to see how Lacuna Coil would ever be appropriate for PP.

Kenneth R. said:
Zero Hour
With Erik? Hell yeah!

Schmeg said:
Another appearance from Nightingale would be great.
Too... bizarre... a... request... ...doesn't... compute.

Watching someone sit on stage and read sheet music off the page? No thank you. That performance had all of intensity and excitement one could only expect from a senior citizens, over 80, shuffleboard tournament. Maybe Glenn could go on stage for 45 minutes and fold his socks, while they play Nightingale in the background. Those guys make Pink Floyd look like Dillinger Escape Plan on crystal meth.

Zod

rockyracoon said:
I fail to see how Lacuna Coil would ever be appropriate for PP.
Musically, they could fit in as the wildcard, as could almost any band. Financially, they'd have to paid as the headliner (assuming they're not out of Glenn's price range altogether). And I can't imagine he'd ever have them headline this fest.

Zod