NOAA predicts two or three hurricanes to hit U.S

kellsco

Jan 3, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Visit site
After what some of us went thru last year I thought this would be of interest. I know I had a very short time to change my flight to a Tuesday flight and make arrangements to stay at a friends in order to get in before *Ivan?* hit.

Let's all hope this year they stay clear of us!!! Nothing but clear skys and a perfect time! :D

Not to mention Florida just can't take anymore. :erk:

NOAA predicts two or three hurricanes to hit U.S

(CNN) -- The nation's weather agency predicted two or three hurricanes could hit the United States this year, based on an Atlantic season forecast released Monday. Overall, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts seven to nine hurricanes during the coming season, June 1 to November 30. Last year, four hurricanes slammed the Florida coast, causing scores of deaths and tens of billions in damage.

"It is difficult to make any kind of an accurate prediction of how many of these will strike land," said NOAA Administrator Conrad Lautenbacher. "But I think statistically you can look at the fact that when seasons are more active, and we have a higher level of hurricanes, you have a higher chance of hurricanes striking the United States."

"So I would expect two to three perhaps striking the United States," Lautenbacher said.

The forecast said three to five of the hurricanes will be major storms ranked Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane strength.

NOAA's 2004 forecast proved to be fairly accurate. It predicted six to eight hurricanes, two to four of which would be at least Category 3, which have winds of 111 mph to 130 mph.

In reality, six hurricanes reached Category 3 strength or higher, out of the nine storms that eventually were designated hurricanes.

Four of the hurricanes -- Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne -- hit Florida directly, and one indirectly within just six weeks. It is believed the four storms caused more than $40 billion in damage.

Frank Lepore of the National Hurricane Center said scientists were looking at warmer ocean temperatures as a possible factor in this year's forecast.

"The issue, really, this year is the anomalously warm sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic," Lepore said.

Warm water provides fuel for tropical storms to increase strength and become fierce hurricanes. The surface temperatures of the Atlantic are warmer earlier this year than they were at the same time in 2004, Lepore said.

An average Atlantic season produces six hurricanes, Lepore said. "Just for historical perspective, we were actually below average in the decades of the '70s, the '80s and half-way through the '90s," he said. "That is, less than six hurricanes on average per season."

Since 1995, the Atlantic hurricane seasons have been above normal except for the El Nino years of 1997 and 2002.

Two or three? I was watching a news special and they are saying that 2005 will be a record hurricane year for the US. Hopefully we wont have a repeat of last year, even though our Hurricane party was pretty fun!! :loco:

Bear

that's nothing... our local news broadcast ran a story today about a weatherman from Idaho who seriously believes that scientists are controlling the weather, and the government may be able to use it as a weapon.

That's right... our local FOX affiliate's news station is officially on the same level as the National Enquirer.

Loved the Mabool comment! I've got that cd and am truly enjoying it.

Don't tell me we need to begin building an Ark (giggle).

Oh man, I hope this doesn't turn out like last year. Our flight from San Francisco on Thursday got rerouted to New Orleans at the last second... literally. We were on our final descent in Atlanta, we passed over the runway, and the pilot decided it was too windy to try to land, so he flew to New Orleans. My heart sunk all the way down to my feet.

Friday morning we get on our flight, end up getting to Atlanta at around 3:30. We're getting scared that we're going to miss the first band if things don't start getting better. We take the MARTA to the station outside of the venue, but halfway there we stop and the power goes out. We're stuck in the MARTA train and the opening band plays in less than 45 minutes, and we still have to check into our hotel! Finally they transfer us all into a new train, and we arrive at the station, run to the Granada with godlike speed, check in, throw all of our shit in the room, and run the hell over to the venue, JUST in time.

I'd rather not have to go through that again.

We're not gonna take it...

No! We ain't gonna take it!

We're not gonna take it... anymoooooooore!

We got the right to choose it...

There ain't no way we'll lose it...

sorry, I got a little excited...

AngraRULES said:
We're not gonna take it...

No! We ain't gonna take it!

We're not gonna take it... anymoooooooore!

We got the right to choose it...

There ain't no way we'll lose it...

sorry, I got a little excited...

Wow... that was almost as bad as my "Rockin' like a hurricane" joke from last year. :tickled:

--Mike

In case anyone needed a reminder of last year
strm9_strike_720x486.jpg

I hope this year's PP travelers fare better than us last year.

Sautherom said:
NO MORE HURRICANES PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the last year was my worse experiencie flying !,

Mine, too. Our plane (per the pilot) had a "near miss lightning strike". From my vantage point, it wasn't a near miss! Guy across the aisle from me is reading his bible and praying. I truly thought we were going to die.

Come in to land in Atlanta, get to about 500 feet, and the pilot just took off again. Then announced that a small tornado had touched down at the airport and we had to circle for another hour or so before finally landing. And all of this during my first cross-country flight!

The pilot got a standing ovation and more than a few hugs :)

I look at it this way, if I made it through that, anything else will be a breeze ;)

I flew to Detroit last week, but the FAA grounded all flights headed there til 10pm due to thunderstorms. I sat there for six hours, thinking, "Come on! I flew into a damn hurricane, what's a little thunderstorm gonna do?"