Noise eliminating programs

garry666

Oct 17, 2007
So ive landed a gig transfering about 200 tapes of buddhist teachings to digital so that they can be uploaded onto a website and shared worldwide. The problem is the quality of the tapes many of them where just done with a handheld recorder an sound like crap, any suggestions on how to get rid of the noise maybe a quik fix plugin. I have tried eqing them but then they loose alot of clarity this will be what i end up doing if i cant find a better way.

RX is pretty good depending on how in depth you want to go. I found that the hum reducer is okay, the noise reducer (hiss and all that backround shit) works well as long as you don't have uber high expectations (because if you go overboard it sounds washy).

If you have a lot of transfers then I wouldn't bother getting rid of clicks and pops but you can do that as well.

Tap transfers are the one thing where I think the BBE or any sort of aural expander actually kicks ass.

Izotope RX is indeed very good, but nothing beats a good hardware noise suppressor. Plugins can't handle extreme noise reduction well, the sound tends to sound like water hehe
If you can, try getting a Cedar DNS. Can't get much better than that ;)

I have to second Adobe Audition. If there is a short period with just the noise somewhere on the tape, you can use that to analyze it and use that information to reduce noise with. It takes a look at the noise and subtracts it from the rest of the file, and it works pretty surgically so if you tweak it, you can get it to not affect the rest of the frequencies too much.

But you will need a couple of seconds of pure noise from the tape, but I'm sure you'll find it somewhere in the beginning or at the end of it. I can't imagine there being sounds EVERY second through the entire tape :)