Noise. How do you deal with it?

Behind

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys.

Once again a newbie question... I'm trying to record an acoustic guitar by micing it with a SM57 through a tone port but I have serious noise problems. The noise that I mean is that "FFFFFFFFFF" in the background that makes the take sound similar to a vinil.

Using eq doesnt solve the problem since I need a huge amount of it to get rid of the annoying noise.

I've never tried this before and it makes me wonder if it's a mic issue or the room treatement... Any advice or information would be really appreciated!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here you have a link to hear the thing.

TIA

I don't have a lot of experience recording acoustics....but I know you can use noise reducers in some audio software. Capture the portion before you actually start playing so the software knows how much background noise there is prior to the instrument...then apply it the the whole section and it should reduce the amount of background noise behind the instrument. It's pretty effective from my experience...although I use it for vocals...not acoustics....but it's the same idea....

Hi guys.

Once again a newbie question... I'm trying to record an acoustic guitar by micing it with a SM57 through a tone port but I have serious noise problems. The noise that I mean is that "FFFFFFFFFF" in the background that makes the take sound similar to a vinil.

Using eq doesnt solve the problem since I need a huge amount of it to get rid of the annoying noise.

I've never tried this before and it makes me wonder if it's a mic issue or the room treatement... Any advice or information would be really appreciated!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here you have a link to hear the thing.

TIA

Hmm, that seems a bit peculiar dude; do you happen to know the source of the noise? (meaning, something in the room that's running, like a furnace or something) Or could it be from your mic/preamp? Cuz ideally the mic and preamp used for capturing subtle acoustic instruments such as a guitar should have a pretty damn low noise floor, so you may wanna consider investing in something better! Of course, it's a shitty answer when someone just says "spend more money!" as their suggetion, so yeah, also try just editing out the bits where the guitar isn't playing and using fade in's/fade out's on all the edits to make it less obvious!

And since a 57 is a passive dynamic mic I wouldn't think it'd generate any noise, so I'm guessing the toneport is probably to blame!

Thankyou very much guys for your answers.

@SeVeRheaDD: that's something I've been looking for but I haven't find anything but usual noise supressors that barely help. Would you reccomend some that includes that option you mention about measuring the bground noise before the instrument starts?

@kev: thankyou. I've tried it but the song comes from a part where everything is done without mic, so the change to the acoustic part makes the noise very noticeable.

@Metaltastic: I've been also thinking that it could be a toneport issue but I disregarded that idea since I have no problems recording guitars. But who knows, I', maybe wrong and the guitar and mic inputs of the toneport work in a very different way

@ahjteam: I definitely think it's a mic issue. It seems that this mic needs a lot of volume to work properly so I believe you're right and a condenser one would work better

@Maamar Huq: I've changed my cable and it has helped to get rid of the noise, but it's still not enough

i know in adobe audition there is a vinyl correction plugin & a hiss & pop removal plugin. so if you demo the software and load your track into that you might be able to remove any crappy noise going through your mix.

or find the offending frequency and eq it out. sometimes it works but sometimes you end up loosing guitar tone.