Getting rid of noise with amp sims

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey i'm recording this band and i'm using amp sims. Problem is, I am getting a lot of noise in the background on the guitars. I'm not sure how to get rid of it. There is a lot of gain and I had to crank the input a bit but still it's a lot of noise. Here is a clip so you guys know what i'm talking about. I'd really appreciate a response to this since I need a solution to this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/RhyGtrsnoise.mp3

please help!

I could really help you if you could post these three:
- Your DI track(s) (doesn't have to be the whole tracks, just few seconds or so...)
- What model of the amp sim you're using
- and screenshot of the settings for that particular amp sim...

Then we can easily pinpoint the source of the problem...

i'm not sure how to post a screen shot. I'm using the free legion amp sim with the lecab2 with ASEM Recto V30 L2 IR. I am using a stomp box compressor in amplitube 3 as a boost before legion. Here is the DI track. I'm not sure how you want it but I just posted it as is not volume boost so it is really quiet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/DI.wav

The setting on legion are green channel on lead mode. Input: Max, Drive: Max, Low: 7, Mid: 1, High: 5, Contour: 4 1/2, Presence: 5, Volume: 4

those are not o clock setting btw. The tone stack is not engaged(button down not up)

on amplitube 3 I am just using the Dcomp(compressor) stomp box with the output on about 2oclock and the sensitivity on about 9 oclock. The input on amplitube itself is on 2.3db and I have the noise gate on.

I also tried it without amplitube as a boost and instead used the TSE808 as one instead and there is still a lot of noise.

I tried those same settings with my guitar instead of the "clients"(i'm doing this for free) and it is not nearly as noisy. My guitar has active emgs. I dont know what his are other than being passive and probably not very good.

Man, I don't even need to spend any more time with it just to say that this DI is completely and utterly FU**ED!
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, quite the opposite, I'd like to help... But, I don't know how was it recorded, only thing I know is that signal-to-noise ratio is absurd. This HAS to be re-recorded. Maybe someone who actually plays guitar here can give you a better diagnose of what went wrong/what to correct, but the DI alone is extremely undergained...

By the way - Alain (creator of Legion amp sim) designed this particular plugin so it doesn't need any overdrive boost in front of it, and it really works wonders... So if you can't dial in a good tone using only the amp sim (and impulse of course) then be sure that something's wrong with the DI... Here's a thread where I also experimented with someone's DI and used only Legion and GuitarHack's impulse, so you can clearly hear how a good DI can sound: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...tting-good-high-gain-guitar-tone-ampsims.html

But please tell me - what was your recording chain?

yeah that's what I thought too. The DI is undergained. I went from his guitar straight to my firepod into cubase sx3.

yeah i'm going to have to re record it. I don't know what the hell is up with his guitar but when I use mine with everything exactly the same other than guitars it is way better.

Man I did a lot of songs already and I think a few are going to have to be redone. He needs to do something about that guitar.

btw thanks for responding it helps me out a lot and just confirmed what I feared. But that's recording sometimes I guess.

yeah maybe the volume control was moved while he was playing or something. I should have double checked. It's something I assumed everyone would check. I always do myself. He always kinda wanted to rush along so much there wasn't time to do all of that. He always wanted to be in his zone. It was dumb of me not to double check everything before every take though. I'm kinda new at this. I usually just record myself and I of course always double check these things on my own. This is the first time really recording someone other than myself. live and learn I guess.

I quickly checked it out and the track is peaking at -36, which is WAY too low. It looks to me like either the preamp volume was at almost zero or then the guitarists guitar has the volume knob really low or if the guitar has active pickups, the battery is dead.